Is The Database Married?

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Is The Database Married?

Postby YushDon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:48 am

Hello folks,

I've just installed 1.31.4 and so far got the following add-ons installed: Backup, CorantoSQL,
CorantoSQL DB-Backup (disabled), CorantoSQL Setttings Backup (disabled), Modify News: User Column and News Categories.

I got 31 news categories and 5 users defined and everything else is how they were from new.

I've made the change in the coranto.cgi file to indicate where DBI is located. I've also set the path to it. I'm running all this on a Linux box with Apache running Red Hat 9 with php 4.2.2 and mySQL 3.2.3 58. Everything works fine, until I create a news item and click submit. I get the following error:-

Untrapped Error: Can't call method "fetchrow_hashref" on an undefined value at (eval 12) line 172.

The "userful information" screen also tells me:

Perl may have generated the following error: Inappropriate ioctl for device Stack Trace:

CRdie in coranto.cgi, line 50

I just got three questions:-

1) Given that this current version is beta, is CorantoSQL married to, i.e. does it work with version 1.31.4>
2) If the answer to the above is yes, what exactly is going on and how it can be fixed?
3) How much of a speed gain will the new version have over 1.24 version?

Greatly appreciative if anyone could help!

YushDon
YushDon

Re: Is The Database Married?

Postby Parahead » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:09 pm

YushDon wrote:1) Given that this current version is beta, is CorantoSQL married to, i.e. does it work with version 1.31.4
CSQL has been support only up to Coranto 1.02, but there is a release that addresses Coranto 1.24, see this thread. See also my last question in this thread for a request to make CSQL compatible with Coranto 1.31.x.

YushDon wrote:2) If the answer to the above is yes, what exactly is going on and how it can be fixed?
Since you are using an untested and unsuported combination, feel free to dig into what causes this and get back with your findings...

YushDon wrote:3) How much of a speed gain will the new version have over 1.24 version?
The purpose of 1.31.x is not speed gain, but please perform benchmark tests and let us know the results.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Thanks for the response

Postby YushDon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:05 pm

Thanks for the response Parahead.

I've had CorantoSQL working with version 1.24 for a long while now with no problems. My initial thoughts why CSQL doesn't seem to work with 1.31.4 is because of the change of the addons in their own folder, which is not the case with 1.24. I don't know if this is what the useful formation was pointing to when it said "Inappropriate ioctl for device Stack Trace..."

But, I'm running this version 1.31.4 alongside 1.24 and I will report whatever I find. Call me an unofficial Beta tester, if you will! 8)
YushDon

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Wish granted - new rank assigned :P

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:58 pm

SrNupsen wrote:Wish granted - new rank assigned :P
SrNupsen, since you seem to be swinging your wand so gracefully, may I also make a wish? I would prefer "Coranto Power User" instead of my current rank, I associate the word elite with things like this and this.

And if I where allowed not just wishing but to also dream, I would be so happy the day we where that many people taking an active part in Coranto we could have ranks like this:
Management Team
Development Team
Moderator Team
Support Team
Parahead

Postby YushDon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:29 am

Wish granted - new rank assigned

Thanks SrNupsen. Rank accepted! Althought I have to admit perl is something I'm not an expert on. I'm more comfortable with php but maybe this is an incentive to dig deeper into perl 8)

Good ideas you got there Parahead.
YushDon

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Parahead wrote:
SrNupsen wrote:Wish granted - new rank assigned :P
SrNupsen, since you seem to be swinging your wand so gracefully, may I also make a wish? I would prefer "Coranto Power User" instead of my current rank, I associate the word elite with things like this and this.

And if I where allowed not just wishing but to also dream, I would be so happy the day we where that many people taking an active part in Coranto we could have ranks like this:
Management Team
Development Team
Moderator Team
Support Team

Agreed. :D
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Circles

Postby YushDon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:27 am

I have to admit this thing got me going around in circles!

First, I followed the link in this thread and saw a link to Lawrence's fix at http://lcwilliam1.freeownhost.com/cra_c ... tar.tar.gz

That link has a suspiciously incorrect looking address (two .tars) and is in fact broken. The other thread spends some time debating the prospect of a paid support version, before making a reference to the http://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-craddons/ site which has the latest version of csql (b18), which is in fact what I already have installed.

So, I have not solved the issue and I'm still getting the [Error: Can't call method "fetchrow_hashref" on an undefined value at...] error.

Everything works fine when I disable the csql add on, but I need the mySQL functionality. Any advice would be really good.

Thanks!
YushDon

Progress...

Postby YushDon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 am

Well, I've now posted the problem in Lawrence's site at sourceforge and I've also emailed him (I hope he doesn't mind!), so I'm hoping I will get some kind of positive response to this problem...
YushDon

Nowt Yet!

Postby YushDon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:47 am

It's two weeks short of three months since my last post on this "fetchrow_hashref" problem and despite writing to the author, leaving a support message on sourceforge, postings in this thread and upgrading to version Coranto 1.31.5, I have had no response whatsoever to the problem.

I did see a comment the CSQL author made a little while back about his intent to start work on the new improved version of CSQL, but I don't know the outcome of that as yet.

Since the stuff I use Coranto for depends 100% on it sending all content to the mySQL database, it is impossible to test out functions if that add on is not working and I can't get through to the author.

Is there anyone out there who can help?
YushDon

Cancel that

Postby YushDon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:35 pm

Actually, cancel that call for help: I've solved the problem by installing FakeSQL and now I'm able to do what I want to do!

The Unofficial Beta tester is officially testing out the beat again! 8)
YushDon

Re: Cancel that

Postby Parahead » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:01 pm

YushDon wrote:Actually, cancel that call for help: I've solved the problem by installing FakeSQL and now I'm able to do what I want to do!

The Unofficial Beta tester is officially testing out the beat again! 8)
Good you got things running again. I also had hopes that Lawrence would target the SQL issues with his new SQL addon, but it was some time ago (according to this thread) that he posted any progress...

The thing with SQL support is that Coranto really isn't designed with this in mind from the begining and it isn't that easy to shoehorn in afterwards, especially with a bunch of addons not taking this into account (and how could they?). Please keep us updated on any positive and negative feedback you have on your experiences with the 1.31.x series and SQL.
Parahead

Postby YushDon » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:28 am

Please keep us updated on any positive and negative feedback you have on your experiences with the 1.31.x series and SQL.

Oh gosh, I could literally write a book about this!

I've never pretended to be a cgi/perl guru but I know my way around php/mySQL (LAMP in general) and was turned onto Coranto through its predecessor Newspro at the same time I was discovering php/mySQL.

The short story is that I use Coranto (and a whole infantry of add-ons - thanks everyone!) to input content into a database via CSQL. I then use a mixture of Coranto generated webpages and mySQL database queries to output the final pages.

The bottom line is I have unprecedented ability to do with the content anything I pretty much please. I've created customised membership management, RSS syndicator for every single format and in conjunction with my forum SDK I have a portal system that is pretty much sitewide, robust, secure and integrated.

I've mentioned the RSS syndicator a little in this forum but maybe when I get some time I will write a better tutorial of everything for the benefit of those it might help. I hope to deliver this promise as soon as I can.
YushDon

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development