One item profiles

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

One item profiles

Postby diogenes2100 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:06 pm

I have an oddball setup where I have a news item, banner, news item, banner, etc... As a result, I have a lot of .txt files that have to be rebuilt whenever I add another story. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Also, my newsdat.txt file is about 9 megebytes and getting more sluggish by the day. Is there any way to archive old items where they can be accessed, but remove them from the data file?

Thank you for any help.
diogenes2100

Re: One item profiles

Postby Parahead » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:44 pm

diogenes2100 wrote:I have an oddball setup where I have a news item, banner, news item, banner, etc... As a result, I have a lot of .txt files that have to be rebuilt whenever I add another story. Is there a more efficient way to do this?
I am not sure I understand you, but this sentance together with the subject of your post implies that Maginot *may* be a solution for you...

diogenes2100 wrote:Also, my newsdat.txt file is about 9 megebytes and getting more sluggish by the day. Is there any way to archive old items where they can be accessed, but remove them from the data file?
There really is no out-of-the-box solution for this and it depends on your setup and visual layout if it is easy to achive or not. I would advice causion and also suggest you make a complete backup of your newsdat.txt file before trying this though. It may be possible that you make a full rebuild of old items (for example the archive for 2004) so that you get the html-output files you want built in a nice fashion and then remove all the items for 2004 from newsdat.txt. You will not be able to edit the newsitem once you have removed them from newsdat.txt, but that goes without saying heh? ;-) And like I said above, it highly depends on your "interconnection" in regards to the visual presentation with old/new newsitem if it is possible to remove the old ones, you are the only one that can determain this...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby diogenes2100 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Thank you for the quick response.

I already use Maginot to create static pages.

I'm talking about having to do five includes on the web page for five one-item Coranto-generated .txt files.

When I add a new story, A must overwrite B, B must overwrite C, C must overwrite D, etc. During this process (sometimes a minute or two) all the headline links on the site disappear.
diogenes2100

Postby Parahead » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:21 pm

I really see no out-of-the-box solution for you...

There is two addons called Partial Rebuild and Exctractor, maybe one of them is a solution to look into for you...

Also, removing old items from newsdat.txt as discussed above?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Customization