Coranto 1.31.2 BETA

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto 1.31.2 BETA

Postby Parahead » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:46 pm

Hi there!

Finally, this is the new development version of Coranto that me, plushpuffin and LoneOwl has been involved in. As you may know the previous development series where withdrawn as mentioned here. The focus has therefore been to get it back to the same point as where 1.30.11 left off, so I am aware that some of you will be disappointed to see that your particular request is not in this release. Anyway, the changelog since 1.24 is to long to mention here, please refer to the distribution documentation for full details.

• Since this is a BETA it *will* contain issues that needs to be addressed, so do not use it on a live site!
  • When testing, please use a clean 1.31.2 installation, since there doesn't exist an upgrade script from 1.24 (needs to be coded).
  • Documentation needs more work, both the setup and readme. Help is muched welcomed!
  • If you encounter problems with this version, post about it in this thread.
  • If you encounter problems with an addon together with this version, post about it in a new thread *clearly* stating which version of both Coranto and the addon you are using.
  • A new folder structure is used, so addons that is using templates, accessing nsettings.cgi or newsdat.txt on their own is likly to have problems.
  • Test, test, test!
Language support
The language support added in this version is changed to some extent from the previous development version. This has been discussed here and my hope is that the script SomeGuyNamedJim has produced will be available here at CTUS so that people will be able to start doing translations. SomeGuyNamedJim, can you contact me or SrNupsen in this matter, please?

Addon developers
I will create some better documentation for addon developers so that you will be able to upgrade your addons to use the new folder structure, basically some new CConfig params specifying the paths (if you are curious right away, check out the ReadConfigInfo sub in crlib.pl). The language support added in this release is also possible to use by addons, if you are interested please take a look at the Category addon included in the distribution for an example of how that is done.

Documentation
The documentation do need an upgrade, any and all contributions are appreciated. To synchronize any efforts, please contact me or SrNupsen.

News Categories addon
The version included in 1.31.2 is not the latest release, there has been a small cosmetic fix since this package was done, the latest News Categories addon can be found here if anyone is interested. It will of course be included in the next BETA release.

Both positive and negative feedback on this release is much welcomed. It would be truly great if some of the more experienced users in the community could do some hardcore testing...

Download here!
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

alias problems? server can't see cgi-bin/coranto.cgi

Postby muttly » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:45 am

Ok, so I have apache installed as the local OSX (panther) server. Earier copies of coranto 1.24 are running just fine at
/Library/WebServer/Documents/adler-chicago/cms/coranto.cgi
/Library/WebServer/Documents/aopd/cms/coranto.cgi
/Library/WebServer/Documents/maginot_test/cms/coranto.cgi

path to perl (5.8.1) is the same as before

I unzipped the files, renamed the root dir 'alpha312' and chmodded it to 777

I updated httpd.conf to include

Code: Select all
<VirtualHost alpha312>
   ServerName alpha312
   DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/alpha312
   <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/alpha312">
      Options All +MultiViews +ExecCGI -Indexes
      AllowOverride All
   </Directory>
   DirectoryIndex "index.html" "index.shtml"
</VirtualHost>

host database is set to

127.0.0.1   alpha312

I set file permissions first then restarted the server and hit http://alpha312/cgi-bin/coranto.cgi with the browser

got this error message
Not Found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/coranto.cgi was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at alpha312 Port 80

I thought the possible problem was some alias weirdness with the name cgi-bin so I changed the dir name from 'cgi-bin' to 'cms'

that resulted in

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at alpha312 Port 80

I opened file permissions to 777. Same result.

I had a buddy attempt to install it on his Mac wih similar results

That's pretty much all I know about server config and I am open to whatever suggestions anyone might have.
muttly

Re: alias problems? server can't see cgi-bin/coranto.cgi

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:25 am

Internal Server Error

What does the server log say? It should contain more detailed information about the problem...

As an alternative approach, if you install 1.24 on that specific path/address 'alpha312', does that work or do you get the same problem?
Parahead

Template Editor compatibility - privacy settings

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:50 am

Just starting to test drive the beta - thanks to all who pitched in to make it possible.

The template editor editor addon does not find the templates in the new directory structure. I believe this variable:

$CConfig{admin_path}

at about line 30 points to the directory where the templates would be in the old versions. Are there variables to use for each of the new directories in the new version? Posting a list of these, if it exists, would make it easier to modify existing addons.

I will retest this, but on my initial install I set the Version Check Image to NO and it reverted to yes. Setting to no again and saving the settings got it to work.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Re: Template Editor compatibility - privacy settings

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:42 am

Dale Ray wrote:The template editor editor addon does not find the templates in the new directory structure. I believe this variable:

$CConfig{admin_path}

at about line 30 points to the directory where the templates would be in the old versions. Are there variables to use for each of the new directories in the new version? Posting a list of these, if it exists, would make it easier to modify existing addons.
The path variables are the following:
  • $CConfig{'admin_path'} = basefolder for where coranto.cgi is located (possible to specify hard with $abspath at begining of coranto.cgi and viewnews.cgi).
  • $CConfig{'data_path'} = folder where newsdat.txt, nsettings.cgi and crcfg.dat is located (possible to specify hard with $data_path in cruser.pl).
  • $CConfig{'addon_path'} = Folder where the addons are located, normally admin_path/addons.
  • $CConfig{'docs_path'} = Folder for the docs, normally admin_path/docs.
  • $CConfig{'lang_path'} = Folder for language files, normally admin_path/languages.
  • $CConfig{'tmpl_path'} = Folder for the templates, normally admin_path/templates.
So in the case of the template editor to work with 1.31.x it would be simple matter of changing the admin_path to tmpl_path instead. Let me know if it works out for you... A more backward friendly approach would be to do something like the below just before using tmpl_path the first time. This will ensure the addon works in both 1.24 and 1.31.x
$CConfig{'tmpl_path'} ||= "$CConfig{'admin_path'}";

As a side note on folders: during the setup phase if you haven't created (or if Coranto can't find the default location) of the different subfolders you are prompted to specify their locations. At that point it is possible to place everything (templates, addons, and so on) in the Coranto basefolder. That makes everything in regards to folders look like the 1.24 folder structure. Updating the addons to handle the new folder structure is the prefered way to solve things though...

Dale Ray wrote:I will retest this, but on my initial install I set the Version Check Image to NO and it reverted to yes. Setting to no again and saving the settings got it to work.
I will check this out, sounds like a problem with the setup procedure.
Parahead

Postby AndyP » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks to all involved for their hard work. Can't wait to test this out.
AndyP

Postby Parahead » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:11 pm

muttly, since I know for a fact that you have Coranto 1.31.2 up and running it would be good if you could give feedback about how you solved your issue.

Since this is a beta release you don't really do Coranto a favour by having an open issue hanging like this, we either need to apply any patch you might have done to solve the problem permanently or (as I suggest) disregard this issue as a server setup/user handling error.
Parahead

Postby perlman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:10 pm

Okey, I want to help with improving Coranto, therefore I can do some work on the beta version. But I really don't know where to start.
I have just installed it and I am going to try it, but I do not have that much experience with finding bugs, so I really do not know where to look.

So a little starter help would be great! :wink:

While I was installing Coranto I was thinking to myself: "Why haven't they changed these ugly colors which have been a part of Coranto from the beginning?"
Not to be rude to anyone, even Elvii, if it was him that chose the colors, but they are kinda..old?
If you are upgrading Coranto, you should do something about the stylesheet of the admin also. At least change the colors!

I took some minutes to change the documentation stylesheet. Just a suggestion. These are just changes, not improvements.

body {
   background-color:#F0F0F0; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }
h1 {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 1.5em; font-weight: bold; color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#365C96; text-align: center; border: 2px solid #D8D8D8;}
.idx {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: bold; background-color: #CCCCCC}
.head1 {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: bold; background-color: #CCCCCC; color: #000000}
.smallitem {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: .7em; font-style: italic}
h2 {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#000000; background-color:#8E9DD7; text-transform: uppercase; border: 2px solid #D8D8D8;}
h3 {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#AAB5DD;}
h4 {  font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #660033; background-color: #CCCCCC}
pre {  font-family: "Courier New", Courier, mono; background-color: #CCCCCC}
blockquote {  background-color: #CCCCCC}
a:hover {  color: #000066; font-weight: bold}

I altered some colors and added some borders. Nothing advanced, but it have it a different look. Maybe I could try to do something better later.
I know that it is possible to change this with different themes and such, but shouldn't the standard style be something that reflects the script.
Inovative and cool? (examples..)

This might not be important at all, but I didn't quite know where to start, and this was what I could do in less than 10 min.

And let me know how I can contribute in any way. Maybe if you made a simple list with spesific assignments, people would be encouraged to help out? Don't write: "Improve the code in coranto.cgi". Small and easy assignments are always easier to do. And you can do many of them!
perlman

Postby Parahead » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:33 pm

Thank you for you interest perlman! :-D

perlman wrote:While I was installing Coranto I was thinking to myself: "Why haven't they changed these ugly colors which have been a part of Coranto from the beginning?"
Not to be rude to anyone, even Elvii, if it was him that chose the colors, but they are kinda..old?
If you are upgrading Coranto, you should do something about the stylesheet of the admin also. At least change the colors!
The colors are Elvii's choice, I think we will have a hard time persuading msbzdragn to release Coranto with a new color schema as default. I have not looked at your CSS yet, but will check it out...

perlman wrote:And let me know how I can contribute in any way. Maybe if you made a simple list with spesific assignments, people would be encouraged to help out? Don't write: "Improve the code in coranto.cgi". Small and easy assignments are always easier to do. And you can do many of them!
There is a roadmap-file within the distribution, anything interesting there? Particulary doing some tests (and maybe create an upgrade script?) regarding performing an upgrade from 1.24 to 1.31.2 and verifying which addons work and don't work with the new folder structure would be good...

Personally I would like to see the language script being placed here at CTUS and made "operational" so that people can start using it. That would be a task for SomeGuyNamedJim and SrNupsen though?
Parahead

Postby muttly » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:43 pm

perlman said;

I took some minutes to change the documentation stylesheet. Just a suggestion. These are just changes, not improvements.

I'm with you on the color scheme. Elvii might have been an insightful coder, but his color palette choices are questionable. My first addons are always Chameleon and facelift so I don't have too deal with the default interface

I'm actually reworking the interface to be different colors and CSS based when possible so end users have more control over look & feel. In the process, I've made some minor changes to the structure to accommodate my work. There are some questions as to how to account for the CSS so that addons can add new elements. In the interest of keep the work sync'ed up and with an eye toward an orderly evolution, I've sent an emails to the parties most likely to be impacted about what I'm up to, but was planning on more feedback from them before I turned it loose on the unsuspecting public.

One thing I haven't done yet is reformat the documentation styles. I have no idea how badly your palette will clash with my work to-date.

For all the work I'm doing on the standard interface, I really prefer facelift and it doesn't work with 1.3x. If you can get permission and have the skills to upgrade it's functionality to sync with the new version, I would see it a big contribution...

I can think of a couple other new and useful addons you could write too. Like a way to import/export Profiles and Multisubmit NewsField collections from one installation to another or an addon that will preview input thru a selected style/template

parahead said:
muttly, since I know for a fact that you have Coranto 1.31.2 up and running it would be good if you could give feedback about how you solved your issue.

Since this is a beta release you don't really do Coranto a favour by having an open issue hanging like this, we either need to apply any patch you might have done to solve the problem permanently or (as I suggest) disregard this issue as a server setup/user handling error.

The beta copy I do have running is on a linux box at a public ISP. I never got 1.3.2 running locally, but believe the problem to be related to the way my server config alias' the cgi-bin. I haven't bothered chasing down the specifics because I am about to install OSX 10.4 and do a fresh install of everything.

I have fixed some of issues mentioned in the PM I initially sent Sr Nupsen, but I have also generated a few new ones.

Here's a few of them...

* Is there a compelling reason to have the style sheet embedded within the cgi rather than referencing a freestanding external file? I think it would be easier for everyone to maintain and modify their style sheets if it were formated and commented.

* There are a couple places where I can't tell where an autogenerated table is originating from. (I think this was in your the XMS addon)

* the autogenerated page bottom navigation is currently output in a format that appends a pipe after each link. The links are compiled from a couple of different sources. I think this would be better if it were redone as an inline list, then assorted CSS styles like those listed here could be easily applied

* It seems to me that the Main index should be displayed like this rather than it's current line up. I don't know if there are structural reasons for the current line up or if anyone besides me even sees this sort of thing as important enough to bother with.

* I'm wondering if it is structurally possible for the Modify News table to be swapped out with an addon. Then we could offer a scrollable alternative something like these

http://www.imaputz.com/cssStuff/bigFourVersion.html
http://www.imaputz.com/cssStuff/bulletVersion.html

* I'm wondering if there is any value in adding these Textarea Tools as an option in the CutomFields addon (especially in light of the new GEA addon)

Since you have mentioned being quite busy I haven't directly solicited any help in stomping my self-generated bugs. Assuming that my work will be judged worthy of inclusion and folded into the next iteration, do you (the core coders) want to splice in my formatting changes or should I send you my adjusted files after the new issues are resolved?

Hopefully over the weekend I will get my current version and notes organized and send out a more complete list my recent thoughts.
muttly

Postby Jahandar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:14 am

muttly wrote:...(especially in light of the new GEA addon)...

By the way, I have tested and can confirm that GEA v1.2 works properly with Coranto beta v1.31.2.
Generic Editor Adaptor (GEA) - Use virtually any WYSIWYG HTML Editor in Coranto
cra_RTE - WYSIWYG HTML Editor for Coranto posts
HowTo: Fix Reply Links when using ShadowMail and Private Messenger together
Jahandar

Postby Parahead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:34 am

muttly wrote:I'm actually reworking the interface to be different colors and CSS based when possible so end users have more control over look & feel. In the process, I've made some minor changes to the structure to accommodate my work. There are some questions as to how to account for the CSS so that addons can add new elements. In the interest of keep the work sync'ed up and with an eye toward an orderly evolution, I've sent an emails to the parties most likely to be impacted about what I'm up to, but was planning on more feedback from them before I turned it loose on the unsuspecting public.
As you know yourself, the thing is not just to make updates to the core to have new look and feel, this needs to be done so addons still work. Some addons present their own html-code which makes an upgrade of the layout quite hard to do. I will find time to look at the suggestions you sent, but there are issues... Personally I think that the interface issue is so large that it should have a thread of its own, so I have started up this interface thread and we can take it from there, OK? Maybe you can provide a couple of screenshots in that thread to show the changes?

muttly wrote:I can think of a couple other new and useful addons you could write too. Like a way to import/export Profiles and Multisubmit NewsField collections from one installation to another or an addon that will preview input thru a selected style/template
Funny you should mention those two things, the first one I have allready an embryo of an addon doing just that, dicussed in this thread. The preview thing would be really good as well, the best would be if the preview addon was updated.

muttly wrote:The beta copy I do have running is on a linux box at a public ISP. I never got 1.3.2 running locally, but believe the problem to be related to the way my server config alias' the cgi-bin. I haven't bothered chasing down the specifics because I am about to install OSX 10.4 and do a fresh install of everything.
OK, I see... Please give feedback once you have something for us, OK?
Parahead

Postby perlman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:10 pm

I've been testing the beta with addons now.
Haven't had time to try out all of them, but I will make a list of all the most used addons, if they are compatible, and maybe what to do to get the compatible.
I am not sure if I have right to change the addons, I doubt it, since this seem to be a Coranto thing, not being able to change things unless you ask the unaccessible owner.
To me it seems that most of the addons might work with the beta, you just have to correct some paths.

I'll do more testing tomorrow.
perlman

Postby Parahead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:13 pm

perlman wrote:I've been testing the beta with addons now.
Haven't had time to try out all of them, but I will make a list of all the most used addons, if they are compatible, and maybe what to do to get the compatible.
That is great! :-) I am not entirly sure what the best way is to report and maintain a such list of addons that are compatible with 1.31.2 and which needs to be updated in some way or another. I don't know if you have some suggestion? Maybe a simple table with a column stating status (not tested/tested and OK/tested and link to thread with fix) or somthing like that?

perlman wrote:I am not sure if I have right to change the addons, I doubt it, since this seem to be a Coranto thing, not being able to change things unless you ask the unaccessible owner.
Come on now perlman, it is nothing strange with having a licence to a program? Some people seem to try and get this Open Source thing a little *too* far... Personally I have coded alot of addons and I welcome updates to them, but I whish to maintain control of the development, not to get branched versions and if there is a despute on how to do things, the author has the final say, simple as that! I am also currently "nursing" about 10 addons where there was another original author, but they did not whish to keep maintaining them for one reason or another and I have never had problems with getting a response when contacting an addon author with suggestion about updates, so if you have some complaint lets be more specific instead of that unspecified "a Coranto thing"... I have said it before and I say it again, that type of sweeping general negative remark really isn't constructive... Sorry about this ranting, but I do feel we must be able to talk to each other in a constructive way instead of giving those "hints"... Fair? :D

perlman wrote:To me it seems that most of the addons might work with the beta, you just have to correct some paths.
I agree, update the needed addons to use the new XXX_path variables should be a fairly simply in most cases. And to get clear on this, I have not said it needed much coding work, just that the testing needs to be done to get an overiew of which addons work and which doesn't and *that* is something people with less coding experience could help out with. Just like updating the documentation. I am just slightly fed up with many people having opinions about what should be done and in what way, but the same people rearly actually does any constructive work themself. *Oups* Sorry, this is totaly wrong of me, I should not tell *you* this, since your are taking an active role which I am very glad for, so Thank You! :P
Parahead

Postby web » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Muttly

that's how is configured my Apache's Virtulhost

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.3:80>
ServerAdmin admin@yahoo.com
DocumentRoot C:/BigApache/Apache/localhost1
ServerName localhost1
ErrorLog C:/BigApache/Apache/logs/error_log
TransferLog C:/BigApache/Apache/logs/access_log
</VirtualHost>

and to access site i'm going to http://127.0.0.3 but not to localhost1 as it doesn't respond to server name localhost1

Anyway your problem is in Apache not Coranto
on other hand i see

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

which means for me that path to perl is wrong.. test 'em
web

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older