Too many open files at .... /crcore.pl line 281

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Too many open files at .... /crcore.pl line 281

Postby cecil » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:59 pm

I have a Coranto installation which works just fine as long as i have less than 15 profiles enabled. If the 15th profile is enabled i get the following fatal error when news is built.

An error has occurred. The exact description of the error is:
Unable to open /home/content/s/a/m/samsbargain/html/news/hot.txt. Too many open files at /home/content/s/a/m/samsbargain/html/cgi/coranto/crcore.pl line 281.

The error is not specific to a particular profile. I can enable/disable any of them and, as long as the number of enabled profiles is less than 15, it works ok.

Each profile is generating two files - news & headlines. So, with 15 profiles enabled, it is trying to update 30 news/headlines files.

By looking at the news/headlines files after the error occurs, i can see that all of them have zero bytes, except for the one where the error occured.

Does this sound like a problem with Coranto, or perhaps a server issue?
Any thoughts on resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
cecil

Re: Too many open files at .... /crcore.pl line 281

Postby Parahead » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:28 pm

cecil wrote:Does this sound like a problem with Coranto, or perhaps a server issue?
Any thoughts on resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.
I would say that it is a combination of how Coranto works and the specific settings for your server. Coranto opens up a filehandle for each output file, which in the long run with your current limit hits the roof. One simple solution is ask your hosting provider if they could raise the maximum open files limit for you. Another solution may be to see if you can create your outputfiles some other way, for example using one Maginot Slice Profile or something like that, but this may require a little thinking from your side and really depends on your setup if it is a workable solution.

I also want to mention that the way Coranto uses the filehandles in the next development version has been improved to handle this issue better.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby LoneOwl » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:23 am

I don't know about the majority of other systems, but for my system one process can have 253 open file handles, no more. It just comes down to that Coranto's trying to write too many seperate files. I think the Partial Build addon may help.
LoneOwl

Postby cecil » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanks Parahead & LoneOwl for your help.

I found that GoDaddy's open file limit on shared hosting is 32!

I'll take a look at the Partial Rebuild Addon. It may be an interim solution.

Thanks again.
cecil

Return to Troubleshooting