Admin Account Disabled

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Admin Account Disabled

Postby jwalds » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:39 pm

hi somehow my admin account got disabled and I cannot login as an administrator. does anyone know how i can re-enable it - either thru coranto or by editing the scripts. please help this can break my entire website. thanks alot.
jwalds

Re: Admin Account Disabled

Postby Parahead » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:45 pm

jwalds wrote:hi somehow my admin account got disabled and I cannot login as an administrator. does anyone know how i can re-enable it - either thru coranto or by editing the scripts. please help this can break my entire website. thanks alot.

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6169
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby hawke » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:50 pm

Weird... Let me add to this existing topic in case someone else experiences this.

I not only cannot log in, I get a white screen for my login page, not the typical orange and red... None of my user logins work and I am completely locked out of the system.

This occurred just after a full rebuild of the news.

I attempted to upgrade my version 1.23 to 1.24 in an attempt to fix, but the "white screen of death" still shows 1.23 and refuses to let me in.

I have done the nsettings password reset to no avail (with care to remove all spaces, etc)... I'm at a complete loss here and my site is entirely dependent upon Coranto.
hawke

Postby hawke » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:02 pm

I did some research and found this:

Download both nsbk.cgi and nsettings.cgi and reupload nsbk.cgi as nsettings.cgi. That can fix your problem most likely.

This didn't fix it either, so I don't think its the 0 byte nsettings.cgi problem. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this fixed at this point...
hawke

Postby Parahead » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:16 pm

First off, I would encourage you to *not* add a new topic to an existing one. Instead it is better to create a new thread and refer to the thread that you *think* has relevance to your subject. The original topic was about resetting a lost password, you get a blank white screen which indicates a more fatal error... Threads just gets confusing if mixing topics, OK? :-)

hawke wrote:I not only cannot log in, I get a white screen for my login page, not the typical orange and red... None of my user logins work and I am completely locked out of the system.

This occurred just after a full rebuild of the news.

I attempted to upgrade my version 1.23 to 1.24 in an attempt to fix, but the "white screen of death" still shows 1.23 and refuses to let me in.
I am not entirly sure I understand what you are saying here? You do get the login-screen where you can enter username/password? But it isn´t looking as you are used to, but instead it is white? Or do you get the white screen *after* you have tried to login? What does the page title say, if anything? Can you do a View Source at the white page and let us know what it says...

hawke wrote:I have done the nsettings password reset to no avail (with care to remove all spaces, etc)... I'm at a complete loss here and my site is entirely dependent upon Coranto.
It sounds like the nsettings.cgi file actually is there? Do you have a backup of your installation? Before you do anything, make a backup of your complete installation as it looks now, even if it isn´t working! That way we have a point to return to when troubleshooting. Have you checked if the nsbk.cgi file is smaller than the nsettings.cgi file?

The white screen has sometimes been caused by enabling the file lock when the OS hasn´t been able to handle that, but since you have been running for a while that shouldn´t be the case.

Do you have enough space on your web account or have you exceeded your quota?
Parahead

Postby hawke » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:19 am

Sorry about the post - on our forums I encourage users to find topics that closely resemble what they want rather than start new ones - I'll be sure to do it as you suggested from here on out.

The main Coranto page is white (it contains the login fields where I woud normally log in)

It says:

Coranto v1.23
Coranto Login (Authorized Users Only)

Username: (text field)
Password: (text field)
Remember Password? (checkbox)

Source code for page is:
<html><head><title>Coranto: Coranto Login (Authorized Users Only)</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.amphibianweb.com/coranto/crscript.css"></head> <body link="#D00000" vlink="#D00000" alink="#D00000" class="bodybg"><table width="70%" border="0" cellpadding="2" align="center" cellspacing="2"><tr><td><div align="center" class="miniheader"></div></td><td><div align="center" class="miniheader">Coranto v1.23</div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="darkgbg">
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" class="redbg"><tr><td>
<div align="center" class="largeheader">Coranto Login (Authorized Users Only)</div></td></tr></table></td></tr></table><br>
<table width="90%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" class="redbg" align="center">
<tr><td><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" class="whitebg" align="center">
<tr><td>

<form action="http://www.audioholics.com/cgi-bin/coranto/coranto.cgi" method="post"><br>
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="login">
<table width="80%" align="center" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="0">
<tr><td class="fieldtitle"><div align="right">Username:</div></td><td>
<input type="text" name="uname"></td></tr>
<tr><td class="fieldtitle"><div align="right">Password:</div></td><td>
<input type="password" name="pword"></td></tr>
<tr><td class="fieldtitle"><div align="right">Remember Password?</div></td><td>
<input type="checkbox" name="rememberpass" value="1"></td></tr></table>
<br>
<table width="80%" align="center" border="0" class="yellowbg"><tr><td><div align="center">
<input type="submit" name=submit value="Log In">
</div></td></tr></table></form>
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></body></html>

nseetings file was on my server, but smaller than the BKUP file. I overwrote the nsettings file with the backup file. No change.

We have a large dedicated server with lots of space - so space and allocation isn't an issue as far as I'm aware.

If you have the time and would like to take a peek (on the clock of course) feel free to email me at clint-AT-audioholics.com

I'm pretty stuck and it's a commercial site so I don't mind paying for tech support from someone who is beter equipped to examine the setup than I am.

I'll also back it up ASAP - thanks for the reminder.
hawke

Postby Parahead » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:26 am

hawke wrote:Sorry about the post - on our forums I encourage users to find topics that closely resemble what they want rather than start new ones - I'll be sure to do it as you suggested from here on out.
Well, if we are talking about requests, modifications or help on how to implement stuff that is usally a good thing, but when *troubleshooting* things can look the same but the actual cause of a failure can be different. Just because your car sounds strange doesn´t always mean your rear left shock absorber is broken. ;-)

Anyway, looking at that source code I would say that your nsettings.cgi file *is* corrupted some way. Coranto uses the css located at amphibianweb as a failover way if the normal css isn´t found in the settingsfile.

So, I do hope you have a backup of you site from the last couple of days, preferably as close (before) to the point where the failure happened as possible... Check the nsettings.cgi file and compare it with the one you have now, try and replace the old one with the new one.
Parahead

Postby hawke » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:34 pm

The nsettings.cgi file "looks" good - all information seems to be there and it is dated 10/24/2004 - any chance you could email me and get personally involved? I really need to dissect this and don't want to do a directory restore from backup if I can avoid it. I'm worried that since the file is dated prior to when the error occurred that in actuality the problem exists somewhere else...
hawke

Postby hawke » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Update: Restored a backup version of nsettings.cgi - and nothing has changed. This appears to be something more complex than the nsettings.cgi file.

Login page is still white, cannot gain access to the system - and am basically locked out of Coranto.
hawke

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:59 pm

I have had this problem in the past.
This was related to a corruption in the nsettings.cgi. The file was truncated (not zero-ed). I could solve restoring a backup.

You could try:
- going back to an older backup (check for file size; if you find a bigger one it is likely that your current one AND the backup are truncated).
- as a test, install a brand new coranto in a closeby directory, to check if your server is ok. (it takes only 2 minutes). If that works, it is clear that the problem is related to one of the core files (very likely nsettings.cgi).
- check also nuser.pl and in particular that the paths are correct!
- if everything else fails, take the nsettings.cgi created by default ater your new installation, and make sure that *any* of the lines there is included in the old nsettings.cgi
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:57 pm

hawke wrote:The nsettings.cgi file "looks" good - all information seems to be there and it is dated 10/24/2004 - any chance you could email me and get personally involved? I really need to dissect this and don't want to do a directory restore from backup if I can avoid it. I'm worried that since the file is dated prior to when the error occurred that in actuality the problem exists somewhere else...
I thought I sent you an email this morning? Anyway, one param in nsettings.cgi that *is* missing is 'HeadCSS' since Coranto uses the fallback method of pointing to amphibianweb.
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:48 pm

This problem has now been solved now...

And just for the record, it was indeed a problem with a 0 byte nsettings.cgi file, there was just a small confusion about which folder on the server that was actually used as cgi-bin. Once that was established the nsbk.cgi file was renamed to nsettings.cgi and everything worked again. :-D
Parahead

same problem...

Postby tarkin789 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:33 am

I seem to be having the same problem, very odd. But symptoms are identical it seems. I tried to follow the discussion you guys had above, but can't seem to find what I should do to fix this problem. Just replace nsettings.cgi? I do not have any recent backup, other than one I just made.

My login page is also referencing the amphibianweb css file, and my nsettings.cgi file is 0 bytes. Why would this be caused...and could someone advise me how to fix it? No one can login. thanks very much!
tarkin789

Postby tarkin789 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:43 am

I have found the cause of the problem:

Our account storage limit was reached. It has now been increased, but how to I fix the problem? Even though we now have space, it is still not allowing any login.
tarkin789

Re: same problem...

Postby Parahead » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:19 am

tarkin789 wrote:I seem to be having the same problem, very odd. But symptoms are identical it seems. I tried to follow the discussion you guys had above, but can't seem to find what I should do to fix this problem. Just replace nsettings.cgi? I do not have any recent backup, other than one I just made.
If you have a file called nsbk.cgi that is a backup. *Make a backup* of that file and then rename it to nsettings.cgi. As a side note I think you should take a look at the Movit! addon to be better prepared in the future...

tarkin789 wrote:My login page is also referencing the amphibianweb css file, and my nsettings.cgi file is 0 bytes. Why would this be caused...and could someone advise me how to fix it? No one can login. thanks very much!
The login page refering to the amphibanweb css is a known bug in 1.24, that part is fixed in 1.30.x. As you also have pointed out the nsettings.cgi file can be wiped out if your storage limit is reached. This has also been improved in the 1.30.x series.
Parahead

Return to Troubleshooting