[HELP] The whole newsdat erased!!

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

[HELP] The whole newsdat erased!!

Postby pfdc1 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:06 am

It changed it to ndtmp2.txt insted by itself and the ccore gave an error. I am attaching the ccore. I have had an error on the ccore when I wanted to use the template editor before. This is very strange can you help???

Code: Select all
(edited by admin: No need to attach the file itself. Stating which version you use would be sufficient)
pfdc1

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:26 am

What version of Coranto are you using?
Have you searched the forums?
How much disk space is available on the harddrive?
bozoka45

Re: [HELP] The whole newsdat erased!!

Postby Parahead » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:46 pm

pfdc1 wrote:It changed it to ndtmp2.txt insted by itself and the ccore gave an error.
The ndtmp2.txt file is used as a "backup" by Coranto when writing the newsdat.txt file, reed more about how that works here.

The reason why the writing fails can differ but if you have been running the site without problems for a long time and this suddenly pops up it is often due to the lack of space on the server, as bozoka45 is implying.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby pfdc1 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks a lot. I have now disabled the backup of coranto and am using the moveit for this purpose because I have a big newsdat and I really dont know how to make it smaller as it is growing everyday. My version is 1.24 by the way. If there is a way to preotect myself against this and preserve the newsdat, let me know. Thank you again.
pfdc1

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:45 pm

By making sure you don't run out of disk space and making regular backups. Thats about it.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:52 pm

pfdc1 wrote:Thanks a lot. I have now disabled the backup of coranto and am using the moveit for this purpose because I have a big newsdat and I really dont know how to make it smaller as it is growing everyday. My version is 1.24 by the way. If there is a way to preotect myself against this and preserve the newsdat, let me know. Thank you again.
First off, you really shouldn´t need to make your news database smaller, you need to find a provider that fits your needs... ;-) What kind of size are we talking about here? About the protection part, using Moveit! is a good start, but making the actual behaviour of how Coranto handles the saving of newsdat.txt can be improved. I don´t know how much of this has been addressed in the latest 1.30.x developer version though. I know the saving of the nsettings.cgi file has... More info about better error handling can be found in this thread.
Parahead

Postby Groterra » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:29 am

I have had newsdat.txt erased in a HDD with 4 GB of free space. It seems that bug has another reason.
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:30 am

groterra wrote:I have had newsdat.txt erased in a HDD with 4 GB of free space. It seems that bug has another reason.
Parahead wrote:The reason why the writing fails can differ but if you have been running the site without problems for a long time and this suddenly pops up it is often due to the lack of space on the server, as bozoka45 is implying.
Like I said, the exact reason can differ, but *often* the reason is server space. And just looking at the amount of HDD space doesn´t say your account are allowed to use all that space, often a max quota is set on a per user account basis. Another reason *may* be users submitting a newsitem exactly at the same time if the file lock feature is disabled (check out cruser.pl).
Parahead

Postby Groterra » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:57 am

Parahead wrote:Like I said, the exact reason can differ, but *often* the reason is server space. And just looking at the amount of HDD space doesn´t say your account are allowed to use all that space, often a max quota is set on a per user account basis. Another reason *may* be users submitting a newsitem exactly at the same time if the file lock feature is disabled (check out cruser.pl).

Site runs in a intranet and amount of free HDD space is really 4 GB. Flock is enabled and OS is Red Hat 7. Same problem happens in a test site that runs in Win ME and Xitami server with 6 GB free space.
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:20 am

groterra wrote:Site runs in a intranet and amount of free HDD space is really 4 GB. Flock is enabled and OS is Red Hat 7. Same problem happens in a test site that runs in Win ME and Xitami server with 6 GB free space.
OK, thanks for the report. And at the point where the newsdat.txt was ereased, what was done? Submitting a newsitem, deleting one? Something else "out of the ordinary" that you can think of? Can the procedure be reproduced by you or is it "just happening"?

What other files do you have at the point when newsdat.txt is ereased; ndtmp1.txt or ndtmp2.txt? This thread explains the steps that Coranto does when writing a newsitem to newsdat.txt. Depending on which files you have I can make a guess of what it is that fails... In that thread I also present solutions to handle the case if something goes wrong. The suggestions will not actually solve *why* the wrting fails in the first place though, but it limits the impact if someone tries to resubmit the newsitem again which with the current solution will make things worse...
Parahead

Postby Groterra » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:45 am

That bug happens when submitting a newsitem. When I was publishing alone and view error message, I stop and rename ndtmp2.txt to newsdat.txt and all is ok. But sometimes there are another publisher and if you resubmit newsitem after error message file ndtmp2.txt is wiped out.

Error message says Coranto could not rename ndtmp1.txt to newsdat.txt, but ndtmp1.txt nor newsdat.txt doesn't exist into directory, only ndtmp2.txt.
Groterra

Postby Parahead » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:29 pm

groterra wrote:Error message says Coranto could not rename ndtmp1.txt to newsdat.txt, but ndtmp1.txt nor newsdat.txt doesn't exist into directory, only ndtmp2.txt.
OK. Thanks for the description of the problem. Like I mentioned above in this thread, I don´t know exactly how much cerberos has been implemented of regaring better file handling as dicusssed in previous threads. I do know he has improved the nsettings.cgi handling though. I will try and take a look at this...
Parahead

Return to Troubleshooting