Coranto 1.30.8

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto 1.30.8

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback and reports on previous versions (in particular the detailed ones from Dale Ray).

Based on these reports, a new version (1.30.8 ) is now ready:
Download it at:
http://www.-.net/public/cr/downloads/coranto_1_30_8.zip

Most important thing (besides some small layout fixes) is that this distribution is now available in 4 languages!
English, French, Italian , Norwegian

This is a small summary of the main changes with respect to previous (1.30.3) alphas:

- full language support from setup to administration
- new less cluttered folderstructure (/addons, /languages),
- new safer method for nsetting saving
- many internal features (true alphabetical sorting, autofocus at login, showaddons option etc).

With respect to 1.24, there are lots of advantages in the profile and settings file management, with much lower risks of file truncation and a better set-up routine! Plus many small bug fixes!

Try it at your risk as usal with alpha testing!

If you speak any foreign language and wish to help... please check out the file crlang.pl and see if you can translate in other languages (for example spanish or german etc), or go directly here:
http://www.-.net/cgi-bin/cr/tra/cr_translate.pl
where you can input your language strings easily.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by cerberos76_ on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:10 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I've installed it and see nothing obvious on first test.

Note: I used the gennws4.pl to generate a newsdat.txt file. gennws4.pl requires crcfg.pl, which in the current vrsion of Coranto is named crcfg.dat. I made a copy of the crcfg.dat file and renamed it crcfg.pl and the gennws.pl script ran. It creates the newsdat.txt file in the Coranto directory, so I copied it to my news directory. Also there is no perl shebang at the top of gennws.pl (I don't know if it is required, but a perl scripot without one didn't seem right). These things don't effect the operation of Coranto, but should be addressed before a final release.

I took all filtering options off the default profile and did a full rebuild. The result from 600 dummy items was a build that was less than 1 second on my local machine. It did spike CPU usage at about 80% very briefly.

Computer specs:

WinXP Pro
512 MB Ram
AMD Athlon XP 1700 (runs at 1.47 GHz)
Apache 2
Perl 5

I will do more testing later.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:32 pm

Thanks for reporting first results.
the gennws part is still the original as written by Elvii. I will try and add to the things to improve in future versions...

In terms of speed, the major advantages are still to come with the database split (see the roadmap document). The features of this version are more to do with 'security' of file (profile and nsettings) generation which are improved a lot and it should be much more difficult to get corrupted nsettings or profile files now.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Psykosys » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:57 pm

I'm just about to install it, so these are just some comments that could be slightly off-topic- I really like the new folder hierarchy (/addons , /languages) - one thing I was wondering was whether it would be a good idea to expand this to include one for templates. It also could be helpful for new users to have all the .pl files like crcore, which most users won't be editing or directly linking to, in a folder of their own, say, /core/ or something - obviously this isn't important but it could make things look cleaner. Or maybe that's a bad idea.

[Edit] One superficial problem - an extra half-quote in front of "Full Rebuild" in Administration...so it's " 'Full Rebuild" [/Edit]
Psykosys

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:19 pm

Hello,
on the template folder - it is one of the things to come.

In terms of editing, the users does not need to edit any of the files in the cgi-bin folder (except cruser to change paths only in case of problems and/or put subroutines). The rest is there just to be called via the web interface. Changing is possible of course, but I do not see a real need now (given problems of compatiblity with addons).
In fact for the /addons folder 90% of the time was spent sorting out backcompatiblity (i.e. making sure the old method worked as well). But that was really necessary, because the number of addons can be really large and was cluttering the whole dir!
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Steffen » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:47 am

Just to inform you, I upgraded my first site to 1 30 8 without a glitch, see www.doeke.familieland.com. All working fine, very good/nice improvements.

Thanks!

Steffen
Steffen

Postby muttly » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:21 pm

Apache/1.3.31 (Unix)
Perl Version: 5.008004

Basic install & config went fine for me, but basic is as far as I went. 1 profile, no other addons.

I briefly tried adding Facelift using the mods listed in the 'Addon Release: FaceLift 3.1' thread, but got empty nav menu on the right side. I know facelift compatibility isn't your concern at the moment and suspect the problem is with the addon, not your script, but FYI anyway.
muttly

Postby Parahead » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:31 pm

muttly wrote:Apache/1.3.31 (Unix)
Perl Version: 5.008004

Basic install & config went fine for me, but basic is as far as I went. 1 profile, no other addons.
Thanks for the report! :-)

muttly wrote:I briefly tried adding Facelift using the mods listed in the 'Addon Release: FaceLift 3.1' thread, but got empty nav menu on the right side. I know facelift compatibility isn't your concern at the moment and suspect the problem is with the addon, not your script, but FYI anyway.
Each Facelift version is specifically matched (or paired) with a specific version of Coranto and of course that fails if using the wrong FL/Coranto versions as you tried now. Personally I don´t use the addon but I have read about other users just changing the test in FL to check for the version of Coranto they run which *might* solve your problem, but please do a full backup of your installation before trying that. The FL addon alters some core subs in order to get the new layout.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:16 pm

I have in the roadmap an improvement to the layout.
I have seen a nice example and I will move to that as soon as I can.
Another version is anyway coming before that with some additional improvements to the core.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby Parahead » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:47 pm

cerberos76 wrote:I have in the roadmap an improvement to the layout.
I have seen a nice example and I will move to that as soon as I can.
Another version is anyway coming before that with some additional improvements to the core.
Regarding the layout of the admin interface. Maybe it would be a good thing to provide a better way for addons to simply hook in and create admin pages? Currently some addons just hook in at the general Settings page with a new headline which makes that page quite large. Some other addons create their own setting link at the admin page, which makes that kind of cludged with quite many links. Maybe one could have a general link to an addon settings page where it is easy for addons to create a specific link. It would work pretty much like hooking in at the admin page but being a sub page to that one? Did anyone actually understood what I was mumbling about? ;-)
Parahead

Postby braindonor » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:31 am

Just wanted to compliment however wrote the new
What is Coranto? readme file. Finally a brief, clear easy to read statement on what coranto is and does. :D
Walking through the city, looking o so pretty...
braindonor

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:17 pm

The new file structure sounds tidier, but I have one question. How many addons rely on the current locations of files (ie. all in one folder) and will experience problems with things being moved into subfolders?

Has the impact been considered?
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Parahead » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:33 pm

msbzdragn wrote:The new file structure sounds tidier, but I have one question. How many addons rely on the current locations of files (ie. all in one folder) and will experience problems with things being moved into subfolders?

Has the impact been considered?
I havn´t looked into this myself, but the only ones I can think of right away (after browsing the addon section) that *might* be effected is Template Editor and Moveit!
Parahead

Postby Psykosys » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:49 pm

Parahead wrote:Regarding the layout of the admin interface. Maybe it would be a good thing to provide a better way for addons to simply hook in and create admin pages? Currently some addons just hook in at the general Settings page with a new headline which makes that page quite large. Some other addons create their own setting link at the admin page, which makes that kind of cludged with quite many links.

It seems like it'd also be nice for the addon documentation links/access to enable/disable to be on the actual addon admin pages, rather than only within the addon manager, and for this to be a function within the core rather than something individual addon authors would have to add. Or maybe I'm just really lazy.
Psykosys

Postby Parahead » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:25 pm

Psykosys wrote:It seems like it'd also be nice for the addon documentation links/access to enable/disable to be on the actual addon admin pages, rather than only within the addon manager, and for this to be a function within the core rather than something individual addon authors would have to add. Or maybe I'm just really lazy.
Good idea. Some docs for addons is not ment for other than the admin though, so maybe a way of dealing with two docs for each addon? I have made an addon that enables the addon doc to be stand alone, within a subfolder to coranto. I have sent it to cerberos76 for review and maybe it can be extended to have this functionality as well...
Parahead

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older