Addon documentation feedback

All input, comments, and site suggestions here.<br />All Websites are constantly evolving works in progress, so fire away!

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Addon documentation feedback

Postby Parahead » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:37 am

This topic has been discussed in this thread before but I felt it better to have a separete thread for it. Anyway, I have nurished a plan of writing some kind of improved addon guide for some time that either is an "extended remake" of Elvii's official one or a totaly new one which picks up where his left off.

I am planning on explaining:
* The general purpose and content of the different core files (coranto.cgi, crcore.pl, cradmin.pl, crlib.pl and viewnews.cgi) so that people know where to search for a specific thing.(Explaining all the available hooks in Coranto is just futile and don´t give anything since one must fully understand the code surrounding the hook in order to use it.)
* The methods that are available to an addon via the craddon.pl file (all the $addon->method() calls) and what they do.
* How to use the addon documentation tags available.
* The #! OPTION used in the header of an addon.
* 3 different ways of declaring a method, what the benefits/drawbacks are with them and how to make a hook use the the method.
* How to "implant" a new hook if one is missing at the specific place in the Coranto core where you really need one to be.
* Suggestion of how to create a namespace that don´t collide with other things in Coranto (of course you should use my as well).
* Provide a simple template of a funtioning addon with documentation headers to fill out as well.

Some links to releated topics:
A suggested Addon Documentation Template
About stating compatibility
How to access variables declared with "my" in Coranto from an addon

Feedback? Is this a good idea or should I drop it? Or would like to point out an area which just have to be included into the this addon guide that I have missed?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby faithless » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:09 pm

Go go go. 8)
faithless

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:12 pm

I think this is a very good idea, especially since there are quite a lot of people trying to create new addons recently.

Hopefully somebody with slightly more coding knowledge than myself will be able to comment on the structure of the document...

Go Parahead!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby sstoner » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:47 pm

Oh yes, as someone who is trying very hard to learn the ins and outs of Coranto and making addons, I think this is a cool idea. Although I'm working on a very simple addon, I still needed quite a bit of help to get going. I've learned a lot, but have so far to go.

I'm wondering if we could have a special forum for the discussion of creating Coranto addons? In that forum we could discuss proper addon documentation; what makes an addon privacy compatable; how to access local variables in the core; how to prevent breaking other addons; as well as specific questions about Coranto and Perl as it pertains to addon development.

When I started this addon I found some general documentation about creating addons written by the original author of Coranto. I also used other addons as examples to help me get started. I think if we had a forum dedicated to addon development it would be a great resource for those of us who would like to learn, and ultimately a great benefit for users of Coranto.
Last edited by sstoner on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sstoner

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:56 pm

I should think that the Addon Help forum would be suitable for this type of discussion. Feel free! :)

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:24 pm

Thank you all for the feedback! I will try and find time to do this, do not know exactly when though, currently real life seams to keep me occupied...

sstoner, some of the questions you have are infact covered in the addon guide by Elvii but if you have any specific questions feel free to submit them in the Addon Help Forum as SrNupsen suggest. The question/answer could then also be reused in the document... :-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby sstoner » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:18 pm

Parahead wrote:sstoner, some of the questions you have are infact covered in the addon guide by Elvii but if you have any specific questions feel free to submit them in the Addon Help Forum as SrNupsen suggest. The question/answer could then also be reused in the document... :-)

Yes, most of the information I needed was found in Elvii's documentation, but nothing about privacy since that was added later. I did eventually find the information I was looking for regarding privacy compatibility. It's here: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5068 Just had a bit of trouble since one must spell "compatibility" correctly when doing a search if they expect to get results :?
Sue's Coranto Addons - http://www.ineb.org/sue
sstoner

Return to Coranto.org Site Development