Maybe I ask for to much... complete site in a zip file

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Maybe I ask for to much... complete site in a zip file

Postby LittOmAlt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:17 am

Hi

I'm wondering if anybody whos got an working intallation with the most used addons can produse a complete install (with test content) for newbies like me? Zip it with the option "retain directory structure"

By reading the forum, wich I appreciate a lot, it seems as it could be a good idea?

Yes, I know problems with different plattforms etc... but..

Any comments?
LittOmAlt

Postby Seer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:37 pm

I am also a newbie and only started playing with this 2-3 days ago. I started with zero knowledge of cgi/perl and only basic html yet I didnt find it that tough to install - in fact the instructions if followed carefully are perfect - only a small server configuration issue server side of which I have no control stopped me from a successful install 1st time round.

Don't get me wrong - I am not attempting to pretend to be some smart-arse!!! But I have toyed with other scripts in the past week - some of which have installers but I have found these usually cause as many problems as they would solve in that they attempt to guess settings or assume configurations and I would now consider it better that they were manual installs accompanied by good instructions (like coranto's!).

So what I guess I am trying to say is that although in theory zipping up a site and providing it as a template sounds like a good easy start, in practice even with my limited knowledge (or perhaps especially because of!) it aint that simple and there is no substitute for reading faq's the code itself, and good ol' trial and error!!

Just my 2 pence
Seer

Postby Seer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:53 pm

Incidentally - I find this site http://216.147.98.109/support_scriptsources.html a great source of guidance :)
Seer

Postby Corinthian » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:20 pm

Seer wrote:..in theory zipping up a site and providing it as a template sounds like a good easy start, in practice [...] it aint that simple and there is no substitute for reading faq's the code itself, and good ol' trial and error!!

I totally agree with Seer on this one. Much better to have an idea of what you want to achieve and THEN look for ways to achieve it than to look at a "mature" site and see how it could be modified to suit your application.

Coranto is very flexible and I've only used a handful of the addons to create sites as simple as news management (http://www.formulaireland.com) through basic content management (http://www.hooray4hollywood.com) up to more involved sites that are geared around gallery and file upload/download (http://www.railroadtycoon.info) so I would suggest you read the documentation and then get a clear idea in your head of what you want to do, then research the addons that will help you achieve it. :)

Once you've got your idea there are plenty of users on the forum with experience from zero to uber-guru that should be able to help you create your dream website :)
  • ProDefault - Change some defaults for new profiles.
  • BackMail - Have your news backup e-mailed to you.
Get them from Royalridge Coranto Page
Corinthian

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:41 pm

I agree both with Seer and Corinthian about the part that you should specify what you want to do and how it should look like before building your site... Think about which people should visit it and what you would like to present.

But I also would like to make a note that it would be a good idea to be able to export/import parts of a site (not using Moveit!) to be able to provide examples and ideas in an easy fashion... Actually I got a request from Dale Ray a while ago about such an addon, to make it easier to explain the things he has made tutorials for (integrating a calendar for example). He more or less ended up describing how to use Coranto step by step to achive certain things, when it should be easier to just import a "package" with a bunch of fields/styles/profiles. This could also be used to get new (and lazy? ;-)) users up and running a bit faster. I know that certain other CMS let you have a complete site up and running in no time (for good or for bad)... I have started to work on this addon which I call "Munge Mover" but it is nowhere complete...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Missunderstanding

Postby LittOmAlt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:09 pm

I nead to clear up...

I did not mean to zip the layout of the site! Only the Coranto egine + "standard" addons.

Include statment etc. in the index.shtml and the design of the site I'm trying to do myself.

My intention was to let newbies download a complete and functional gui for news.

But, if somb wants to give away a complete site why not? Its a lot of sites out there, I don't think it is a big problem for web users to differentiate between sites :-)

btw: This forum here i actually quite like forum.hardware.no and others forum.flabber.nl :-))

Its not my meaning to be harsh, its only my english skills

Yours
LoA
LittOmAlt

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:17 pm

As Seer said:

"...some of which have installers but I have found these usually cause as many problems as they would solve in that they attempt to guess settings or assume configurations..."

This is the problem. There are lots of different hardware/software configurations out there, so chances are that if you distribute a "fully functional, ready-to-use" Coranto installation, that installation will not nearly work for all those newbies who download it.

There's ALWAYS a little tweaking, configuring and individual settings to take into consideration. The way I see it, the goal should be to provide good installation docs and support for Coranto, rather than to make different installation packages for every configuration available.

Err'e greit, eller?

:wink:

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Return to Troubleshooting