Editing Page Arrangements and UI suggestions

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Editing Page Arrangements and UI suggestions

Postby Andross » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:35 pm

Would it be possible for there to be an option to have the profiles in the Manage Profile page be arranged in tables (column and row layout)? I would also like it if there were the core name and the links to edit would only appear (rather than some of the other info), and this could be toggled via Coranto Settings. The same goes for the Edit News Styles page and the Edit Categories page. An ability to adjust # of columns would be nice too.

As well, it would be nice if custom arrangements were allowed for the Manage Profiles, Categories, and Edit News Styles pages, like reverse order, manual ordering, and custom order styles. By custom order styles, I'm suggesting it would be nice to allow the user to make their own variable of sorts that defines how everything is set. Such as, things are ordered according to the first letter after an underscore. The result is things alphabitized by this first letter after an underscore.

To make more clear, instead of:
abc_news
abc_page
xyz_news
xyz_page

It be:
abc_news
xyz_news
abc_page
xyz_page

There is also this weird thing in Coranto (not a bug, just annoying), where when editing profiles, when I go to select categories, everything is mixed up. I have a good hefty amount of categories, so to have to scroll through 'em all every time to look for the same catagory that is now in a different place. This makes things a big hassle. Think someone can adjust this so that the categories are arranged in alphabetical order?

The last suggestion I'd like to make is Coranto UI adjustments. It would be nice to allow the user to pick colors, table width, and font-sizes. This would be more useful for me in this case because I have a lot of add-ons, profiles, categories, and news styles, and by adjusting widths, font-sizes, and the likes, it can make navigation a lot easier.

If I come up with an idea on a UI overhaul, to make things plain EASIER, I'll suggest it later, but for now, I have none, so the above options are something I'd like to see for the time being.

I hope I wasn't too vague and I'm clear on all this. I also hope this isn't too much for you guys to handle. I would just like to see the UI for Coranto to change in order for things to look a lot less cluttered, more organized, and easier to navigate.
Andross

Postby muttly » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:26 am

I'm with you on most of the wishlist. That disorganized categories thing drives me nuts, mostly because I can't see any pattern as too how the (dis)order is determined.

The Chameleon addon gives you some flexibily re: the admin interface colors and font sizes. I wish there was a separate, better named CSS class for everything though (.yellow isn't very descriptive if you don't have any yellow in your color scheme). Sometimes the same class is applied in multiple cases and shrinking one typeface makes 2nd one smaller as well, or changing a bkgrd color in one spot affects another where there isn't enough type color contrast to be readable.

I also find the available themes to be a little too garish for the corporate stuff I am churning out. Somehow the black + radioactive green theme just ain't cutting it for Nondescript Suburban Papershufflers, Inc.

Here's what I've been using instead:
Code: Select all
#! NAME Corporate bland
#! DESCRIPTION bluegreen
#! CSS
body { font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 100.1%; }   
a:hover { text-decoration: none; }   
.navlink { font-size: .76em; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; background-color: #D8E5F3; }   
.yellow {  color: #ffff00; }   
.miniheader { font-size: .76em; font-style: italic; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc33; background-color: #003366; }   
.largeheader { font-size: .8em; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc33; padding: 5px; }   
.fieldtitle { color: #fff; font-size: .7em; font-weight: bold; padding: 5px; background-color: #003366; }   
.fieldtitle a:link {  color: #fff; font-size: .76em; }   
.description {font-size: .76em; font-weight: normal; background-color: #fff; }   
.redbg { background-color: #000066; font-size: .85em; }   
.darkgbg { background-color: #336699; }   
.confirm { font-size: .9em; font-weight: normal; background-color: #666666; }   
.yellowbg { background-color: #D8E5F3; font-size: .76em; }
.midheader { font-size: .9em; font-weight: normal; color: #fff; background-color: #333333; }   
.footnote { font-size: .8em; font-weight: normal; }   
.whitebg { background-color: #cccccc; font-size: .76em;    
.lightgbg { background-color: #cccc99; font-size: .76em; }
.bodybg { background-color: #336699; }

I have also manually customized my table widths within the scripts and use a Mac with a hi-rez monitor. It might look really wrong for your average Win user. If some tries it and it works ok for them, feel free to submit it as a new addition for the themes page.
muttly

Postby jasongpace » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:47 pm

When it comes to the default sorting of profiles, categories, etc... its case sensative. 'Z' comes before 'a' in its sort. Arguments can be made either way for case sensativity in alphabetizing, but it would be nice to have an option to do what you feel is best.
-j
Mildly Useless Addon: More Template Fields - Adds a field, MTF_ProfileName, for .tmpl files to use the profile name.
jasongpace

Postby muttly » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:25 pm

I'm looking at a list of categories via the select window in a profile from a site I am currently working on. The list goes like this:

(All Catgories)
(Default Category)
partners_jh
board
join
letters
membership
gsa
intro
dealerfinder_jh
dealers
faq
dealers_jh
press
...+37 more entries, none of which seem to have any rhyme or reasons as far as their display order. Obviously, the first 2 are the defaults, and I assume first because of the parethesis or something in the script that forces them to the top, but the rest of the entries apparently didn't read your post about how they are suppose to line up.

Also, what determines the order of the Field Order on X-Multisubmit? The checkboxes in the section above apparently appear in the order in which the fields were created (something I wish I could manually re-order as my clients keep adding and/or changing what data will be where and related fields end up stored too far apart) But in the numbering section, the order is again determined by a cosmic roll of the dice. I would think at minimum the default Subject/Text would always come up first, but they don't.
muttly

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:11 pm

muttly wrote:...+37 more entries, none of which seem to have any rhyme or reasons as far as their display order. Obviously, the first 2 are the defaults, and I assume first because of the parethesis or something in the script that forces them to the top, but the rest of the entries apparently didn't read your post about how they are suppose to line up.
I think jasongpace refers to the overview page? Actually, the order the categories are presented in the multiple selectbox on the profile page *is* random! It is just a Perl thing about how a hash array is read when using a foreach loop. I could take a look at this and see if I can come up with an easy fix...

muttly wrote:Also, what determines the order of the Field Order on X-Multisubmit? The checkboxes in the section above apparently appear in the order in which the fields were created (something I wish I could manually re-order as my clients keep adding and/or changing what data will be where and related fields end up stored too far apart) But in the numbering section, the order is again determined by a cosmic roll of the dice. I would think at minimum the default Subject/Text would always come up first, but they don't.
See above about foreach, same thing here...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby muttly » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:31 pm

I think jasongpace refers to the overview page?

I suspected, I was just looking for a semi-amusing way of point out the specific area I was referring to. I appreciate any solutions you might come up with. I like a lot of Coranto's relatively easy and flexible config, but it's frustrating to end up so close to my goals, but with not quite enough to do what I was hoping.

I realize I am pushing Coranto to be something it's not really optimized for, but that wasn't so apparent to me when I started the project and the possibilities seemed limitless. As soon as we can both find a break in our schedules, I'm going to hire DaleRay come by in person for a one-on-one Q&A session in hopes of finding a better way to structure my future projects.
muttly

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:23 pm

muttly wrote:I suspected, I was just looking for a semi-amusing way of point out the specific area I was referring to. I appreciate any solutions you might come up with. I like a lot of Coranto's relatively easy and flexible config, but it's frustrating to end up so close to my goals, but with not quite enough to do what I was hoping.
And I suspected you suspected, sorry if I wrecked you joke... ;-) I will see what kind of solution I can come up with...

muttly wrote:I realize I am pushing Coranto to be something it's not really optimized for, but that wasn't so apparent to me when I started the project and the possibilities seemed limitless. As soon as we can both find a break in our schedules, I'm going to hire DaleRay come by in person for a one-on-one Q&A session in hopes of finding a better way to structure my future projects.
That is something I have experienced too, you think that everything is possible and when you realize you may be better of with another solution you are to deep into the current one and to close to deadline to change the path you have choosen... But if you hire Dale Ray to help you in person, I am sure you two together will take Coranto even further... :-D
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:41 pm

Regarding the sorting of categories, open up cra_ncategory.pl and find line 35, which should look like this:
foreach $i (keys %newscategories) {

Change that to:
foreach $i (sort keys %newscategories) {

Do a backup first though!
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:57 pm

Regarding the XMS profiles, open up cra_xmultisubmit.pl and go to line ~840, which should look like this:
foreach my $i (@XMS_Profs) {

Before that line, add this:
@XMS_Profs = sort {uc($XMS_DB{$a}->{'Name'}) cmp uc($XMS_DB{$b}->{'Name'})} @XMS_Profs;

Do a backup first though!
Parahead

Postby Andross » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:35 pm

Does that first post fix the cat orders for manage profs? What does the second one do? Kinda vague on what you were referring to. Just wanted some clarification.
Andross

Postby Parahead » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:39 am

Andross wrote:Does that first post fix the cat orders for manage profs? What does the second one do? Kinda vague on what you were referring to. Just wanted some clarification.
Sorry, both the first one and the second one is taking care of the sorting at the Profile Settings page. The multiple selection boxes where you specify which category/xms-profile that the profile should include newsitems from...
Parahead

Postby Andross » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:02 pm

I came up with an idea for a slightly different UI. The style is more refined, and the nav panel is a bit more extensive in the Admin links. This is only the main page, so when I get time, I'll develop a profile/cat./news style edit page as well to demonstrate my idea.

http://www.gaming-vortex.com/images/coranto-ui.gif

I also added some extra featuers I would like to see (the admin announcements and quick submit). Those would be pretty nice :)

This was all done in Photoshop, so if someone wants to slice it up into HTML, go ahead. Hope it looks good :)
Andross

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development