Miscellaneous requests

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Miscellaneous requests

Postby NitroX_infinity » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:10 pm

I'd very much like to see an option with which you can select where you want the quick menu; top or bottom.

Also would like this: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6995
Would be nice if it was possible for the user to control in how many pages the profiles and styles are divided.

Then there's that annoying newsdat.txt file! Who in their right mind would be using that?
I've got seperate files for my news. The only thing newsdat.txt does is use valuable diskspace.

Please add an option to disable that annoying file :twisted:

Backup:
Would be nice if you could backup per profile and/or style.
User should be able to set time period for backing up or backup manual.

That's it for now, I'll probably be back later to bother you some more :lol:
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:37 am

[EDIT]
Since topic was split, I reposted the part in this thread which belonged to the discussion in the original thread an removed it in this one to avoid confusion and answers posted here...
[/EDIT]

NitroX_infinity wrote:I'd very much like to see an option with which you can select where you want the quick menu; top or bottom.
muttly wrote:- option to put Create New Profile at the top of the page above the list
Good ideas! muttly's suggestion could be done quite simply as an addon though! Regarding new settings, I have been thinking for a while about the fact that the General Settings page is starting to be quite bloated with settings, both Coranto settings but also many addons use this page to "dump" it's own specific settings as well. Maybe one could produce a better or more hierarchic settingspage, where each headline is a page of its own instead... This would not be possible to do with the current Settings Page, but if providing a new general "Addon Settingspage" with this structure future addons (or addons which are updated) could use this technique...

NitroX_infinity wrote:Also would like this: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7005
Would be nice if it was possible for the user to control in how many pages the profiles and styles are divided.
You didn´t like my suggestion to make it as an addon? ;-) Just kidding, I agree that this could be helpfull and it is a good idea as well, grouping the profiles/styles in some way would be good, with an even more generic grouping then the one you suggested.

NitroX_infinity wrote:Then there's that annoying newsdat.txt file! Who in their right mind would be using that?
I've got seperate files for my news. The only thing newsdat.txt does is use valuable diskspace.

Please add an option to disable that annoying file :twisted:
I really hope you are joking about this one? :roll:

NitroX_infinity wrote:Backup:
Would be nice if you could backup per profile and/or style.
User should be able to set time period for backing up or backup manual.
And the Moveit! addon does not do the trick for you?
Last edited by Parahead on Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:54 am

I have been thinking for a while about the fact that the General Settings page is starting to be quite bloated with settings, both Coranto settings but also many addons use this page to "dump" it's own specific settings as well. Maybe one could produce a better or more hierarchic settingspage, where each headline is a page of its own instead...

Like the submit news page when using XMS?

I really hope you are joking about this one?

My bad! I didn't know iSay was using newsdat.txt :P
Can't change that now! Seeing as I'm using iSay

MoveIt does great for me, though I haven't seen it update automatically yet. But first of all, if I'm not mistaking It can't backup per profile.
Second, I believe a backup feature should be a part of the standard program and not an addon.
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:14 am

NitroX_infinity wrote:
I have been thinking for a while about the fact that the General Settings page is starting to be quite bloated with settings, both Coranto settings but also many addons use this page to "dump" it's own specific settings as well. Maybe one could produce a better or more hierarchic settingspage, where each headline is a page of its own instead...

Like the submit news page when using XMS?
Yes, very much like that... The thing is that it currently it is *very* easy for an addon developer to take a shortcut and just add a few lines of code and you have the Settings Page taking care of it for you. Providing a similar easy technique but with a more visual appealing approach would not hurt...

NitroX_infinity wrote:
I really hope you are joking about this one?
My bad! I didn't know iSay was using newsdat.txt :P
Can't change that now! Seeing as I'm using iSay
And Coranto in general isn't? The source of all the newsitems is stored in the newsdat.txt file, all the other files created by Coranto is like carbon copies. If you have a Word file on a computer, print that document to paper and then erase the Word file, does the document still exist? Well, yes, but you can´t reprint it... So if you would like to change one of your styles to get a different layout, how would you achive that if you didn´t have newsdat.txt to "print" from? ;-)

NitroX_infinity wrote:
MoveIt does great for me, though I haven't seen it update automatically yet. But first of all, if I'm not mistaking It can't backup per profile.
Second, I believe a backup feature should be a part of the standard program and not an addon.
You are right, it does not work on a per profile/style/template basis, it backups the hole lot, but is this a major issue? Explain why you would like to take partial backups... And what is the reason you would like to have it in the core and not as an addon if it gets the work done? Everything that can be placed in addons should in order to keep the core slim and only add the features you would like to have using addons. That way you can have different release cycles between the addons and core and you can also spread the work on more people (increased development rate!), since the addon is a limited piece of code with a clear owner.
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:24 am

If you could backup per profile/style/template you could take that backup and use it for another site too :)

Why have it in the core?
Well, compatibility is one thing.

Nice metaphore: you don't sell a car and sell the petrol tank as an addon which has to be installed manually.
Okay, that metaphore isn't exactly correct but you know what I mean?
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:41 am

NitroX_infinity wrote:If you could backup per profile/style/template you could take that backup and use it for another site too :)
Funny you should mention this, I am currently working on such an addon that does this kind of thing. Dale Ray has contacted me about a similar thing, including CustomFields and UserFields, because when trying to explain how to do things to people in the forum or in a tutorial it often becomes hard and you end up explaining Coranto instead. Also if you would like to verify if a person has everything correct, he could export the requested objects and you importing it at your site checking out what's wrong. And just like you say, to partly move things from one server to another... I make this a separate addon than Movit! since the functionality and purpose differs.

Nitrox_infinity wrote:Nice metaphore: you don't sell a car and sell the petrol tank as an addon which has to be installed manually.
Okay, that metaphore isn't exactly correct but you know what I mean?
Yeah, I hear you, but I would like to give you a similar metaphore then: You play a Rally Game on your computer, just completing a stage and you are presented with an screen where you can upgrade your tires, enginge, shock absorbers, clutch and so on individually, trimming your car to fit the next stage but still being so light as possible... ;-)
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:52 am

Okay, backup is and stays an addon :)
/me is convinced now.

EDIT:

Parahead wrote:
NitroX_infinity wrote:Also would like this: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6995

You didn´t like my suggestion to make it as an addon? ;-) Just kidding, I agree that this could be helpfull and it is a good idea as well, grouping the profiles/styles in some way would be good, with an even more generic grouping then the one you suggested.

Been thinking about this, let the user decide how many groups there are, what they are named and what profile is in which group.
NitroX_infinity

Postby NitroX_infinity » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:22 am

Another suggestion:

When creating news field you have two links: move up and move down.
Add two more links: move to top and move to bottom.

I assume the practicallity of this is obvious?
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:42 am

NitroX_infinity wrote:When creating news field you have two links: move up and move down.
Add two more links: move to top and move to bottom.

I assume the practicallity of this is obvious?
Yes, it would be practical, but there would also be quite many options below each newsfield... I don´t say it is a bad idea, I am just thinking if they could be arranged in another way so the up/down/top/bottom options isn´t cluding upp the page?

Speaking of options, I have mentioned this before, but the edit/delete buttons (along with the enable/disable buttons where applicable) are not placed in the same order on every settingspage. For example: the style and profile index pages has delete to the right, but the CustomFields page has it to the left and the Userpage has it in the middle. The ABC of man-machine interaction states this to be just dumb....
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:45 am

You could use arrows for the up and down functions.
NitroX_infinity

Postby NitroX_infinity » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:14 am

Another request:

Trying to explain how to do things is not always sufficient.
Sometimes people just have to see it to understand it.

Now, there are some people who have Coranto setup as a demo
for the ignorant. People can enter the script and look around, but they can also change things, right?

I suggest you implement a lock which locks every setting.

That way, you could, for instance, have a demo of Coranto as an advanced content management system without having to worry about people screwing up things (changing settings, paths, etc.).
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:34 am

NitroX_infinity wrote:Now, there are some people who have Coranto setup as a demo
for the ignorant. People can enter the script and look around, but they can also change things, right?

I suggest you implement a lock which locks every setting.

That way, you could, for instance, have a demo of Coranto as an advanced content management system without having to worry about people screwing up things (changing settings, paths, etc.).
A kind of "View but don't touch"-addon might be an idea, hooking in at all the places where things are being saved and just halts the normal save procedure from being executed... This is a rather specific request though, not usefull for the general public but truly a good aid in the mission of promoting Coranto. Personally I would not start on such an addon before I really know there was an explicit receiver with a setup where it would be used though...
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:03 am

Another request.

A fourth userlevel.

I am creating a site for my dad.
He does not need access to the profiles and styles but does have to be able to add/modify users, do a full rebuild and access the iSay addon to delete comments etc.

Next idea: translation for Date & Time Settings

Add twelve fields (single-line textfields) for each month. In these fields the user can type the names of the months in his/her native language. A checkbox tells Coranto whether or not to use these.
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:16 am

NitroX_infinity wrote:A fourth userlevel.

I am creating a site for my dad.
He does not need access to the profiles and styles but does have to be able to add/modify users, do a full rebuild and access the iSay addon to delete comments etc.
I don´t use it myself, but have you looked at the UserGroups addon?

NitroX_infinity wrote:Next idea: translation for Date & Time Settings

Add twelve fields (single-line textfields) for each month. In these fields the user can type the names of the months in his/her native language. A checkbox tells Coranto whether or not to use these.
Are you talking about how to present the months in the admin interface or when doing the newsbuild? Improving the localization feature in the Coranto interface has been discussed before and is a major task, which should not only include the monthnames.
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:34 am

Are you talking about how to present the months in the admin interface or when doing the newsbuild?

I'm talking about the output of Coranto.
My articles all have English named months. I'd like this to be Dutch without having to use extra perlcode in the newsstyles.
NitroX_infinity

Next

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development