Make Coranto make folders + related news question

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Make Coranto make folders + related news question

Postby VZey » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:49 am

OK here goes.. I've done lots of searching and found out that Coranto can't make new folders by itself, why not? Is there an addon that can make Coranto do this? I want to have a review site with a seperate folder made for each new artist.

Also, I wish to have a list of stuff by one artist listed under each review of the artist.. for example if Linkin Park were reviewed once and then a new song came out it would list other reviews of the same artist underneath, automatically. Also it would update itself when a new review by that artist was posted. I've read about the related news addon but it doesn't seem to do this how i want it to.

So to restate what im after in a short way

- coranto making new folders byitself based on an artist field
- related reviews based also on the artist field

thanks in advance.
VZey

Re: Make Coranto make folders + related news question

Postby Parahead » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:23 pm

VZey wrote:- coranto making new folders byitself based on an artist field
Maginot don´t do it for you then? It can create folders and it can even be used to create the related reviews thing if you want...

VZey wrote:- related reviews based also on the artist field
There is an addon called RelatedNews, you don´t think that would do it? Also think Searchnews could be used, not sure though...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:43 pm

Hi,
a) the latest few versions of maginot allow you to create directories automatically. (it was not possible 2 years ago; it is since build 10 I think)

b) Related News does exactly what you look after in a static manner. You ask also the auto-updating, i.e. a dynamic related news. This is not implemented at present (and it take a bit of effort to do it).
I think someone has done it with some gimmicks with Sliced profiles. But has not been released.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby VZey » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:06 am

Thanks for the quick replies guys :)

I didn't realise maginot could do this now, I should have looked a the dates of the threads I was reading.

Parahead wrote:Maginot don´t do it for you then? It can create folders and it can even be used to create the related reviews thing if you want...

If you don't mind, could you please explain how I can get Maginot to do that? I was reading about the related news (in the docs mainly) and found people will still have to click a button each time even on the silent mode. I guess that's not really that bad. I was after more of a last 5 reviews from this artist sort of thing.

I'm off to try to make maginot make folders now. I'm pretty happy about it. :)

<edit in>
I've noticed that the folders built based on the artist don't include any spaces, however the link to them in my style somehow keeps those spaces. How can I get it so the style removes the spaces from the artists name too?
</edit in>
VZey

Postby Parahead » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:05 am

VZey wrote:
Parahead wrote:Maginot don´t do it for you then? It can create folders and it can even be used to create the related reviews thing if you want...

If you don't mind, could you please explain how I can get Maginot to do that? I was reading about the related news (in the docs mainly) and found people will still have to click a button each time even on the silent mode. I guess that's not really that bad. I was after more of a last 5 reviews from this artist sort of thing.
I don´t use RelatedNews myself, so I don´t know what you mean by "silent mode", and when reading your post a little better I see that you which to have the lists *dynamically* created, which isn´t possible with Maginot either, otherwise I would have suggested creating a Maginot Slice Profile and slice on the Artist name. But I think that using Related News is a better choice for this really.

I've noticed that the folders built based on the artist don't include any spaces, however the link to them in my style somehow keeps those spaces. How can I get it so the style removes the spaces from the artists name too?
Using the code from Maginot and tweaking it to fit in a style:
Code: Select all
<PerlCode>
(my $linkArtist = $CustomField_ArtistName) =~ s~[^A-Za-z0-9\-\.]~~g;
$linkArtist  = substr( $linkArtist , 0, 26 );
</PerlCode>
<A HREF="/path/to/your/profile/base/<Field: linkArtist>.html"><Field: CustomField_ArtistName></A>
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:04 am

Parahead wrote:I don´t use RelatedNews myself, so I don´t know what you mean by "silent mode", and when reading your post a little better I see that you which to have the lists *dynamically* created, which isn´t possible with Maginot either, otherwise I would have suggested creating a Maginot Slice Profile and slice on the Artist name. But I think that using Related News is a better choice for this really.

Silent mode is simply one of the many options offered by Related News. I have in mind to add a super silent mode (fully automatic) and that is very easy. The dynamic features are also possible in combination with auto-generated sliced profiles. I know someone has done this (i think zexion) with music reviews... It is a possibility for the future
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby VZey » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:43 pm

Thanks Parahead that code worked beautifuly.

I'll tackle the related news next. I'm going to just use the related news addon and use the silent mode, then get the user to hit the button manually i think.
VZey

Postby VZey » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:20 pm

i had an idea...

Since I am now building the reviews into their artists folder (eg http://www.mrave.com/reviews/JessicaSim ... heAway.php) Could I use the addon NewFiles to list all the files in that directory? Then in the style somehow I would have the code that lists all other reviews sitting in that directory....

Would that work?
VZey

Postby Parahead » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:47 pm

VZey wrote:Since I am now building the reviews into their artists folder (eg http://www.mrave.com/reviews/JessicaSim ... heAway.php) Could I use the addon NewFiles to list all the files in that directory? Then in the style somehow I would have the code that lists all other reviews sitting in that directory....
If you use NewFilesAdvanced you must create one profile for each directory, it does not have the option to have one profile produce one outputfile for every subdirectory, but that might be a good feature to add. faithless, what do you say?
Parahead

Postby VZey » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:47 pm

hhhhmm, that would be impossible as a new directory is automagically added for each new artist that is reviewed (thanks guys for that one btw!)
VZey

Postby Parahead » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:27 pm

VZey wrote:hhhhmm, that would be impossible as a new directory is automagically added for each new artist that is reviewed
Yeah, hence:
Parahead wrote:...that might be a good feature to add

;-)
Parahead

Return to Addon Release and Support