Desperate for chmod help!!!

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Desperate for chmod help!!!

Postby jpenney » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:58 pm

I've seen a few other posts on this, but nothing I try will help.
It seems that all of my files that are created with coranto chmod to 600 no matter what I do. I tried the addon chmod by parahead. Also, the maginot and multipart files created and upload also chmod to 600. Can someone please help with this? I would appreciate it very much!
jpenney

Re: Desperate for chmod help!!!

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:55 am

jpenney wrote:I've seen a few other posts on this, but nothing I try will help.
It seems that all of my files that are created with coranto chmod to 600 no matter what I do. I tried the addon chmod by parahead. Also, the maginot and multipart files created and upload also chmod to 600. Can someone please help with this? I would appreciate it very much!
And the problem with having the files chmoded to 600 would be?

Actually I know one scenario where this is a problem, but I don´t know if that applies in your case? That is when you for example when using FTP log in as one user, "username", but when Coranto is being executed by the webserver it is the user "www" running and that user has a umask set so all files created by that user will end up with the priviliges set to 600, which *is* a problem when FTP:ing in to your account and trying to manually delete files, where you get a "permission denied" scenario... And since you are not the owner there is no way of altering the priviliges either...

You could ask your host to change the umask so that files will get 660 or 666 depending on if "username" and "www" belongs to the same usergroup or not. It is a bit funny because I have the exact same problem on a clients server just now, will soon write a letter to their helpdesk complaining a bit... ;-)

Anyway, didn´t the chmod-addon help you out for the normal profiles either?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby jpenney » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:34 am

The chmod addon helped on the html files made by the maginot profiles, not the txt files made by the standard profiles. That was a plus, but not enough.
The problem with it is that I am uploading graphics to a profile in the multipart program. when I src the graphic within the program my browser tells me I'm not allowed to view it, thus, a broken image. :(
I'd love for the chmod addon to tell everything made by the program to just 777! LOL Any ideas on how to?
jpenney

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:11 am

jpenney wrote:The problem with it is that I am uploading graphics to a profile in the multipart program. when I src the graphic within the program my browser tells me I'm not allowed to view it, thus, a broken image.
This is strange, since it should be the same user executing Coranto that runs the webserver when you view the image later on. Could you specify if the files created by Multipart is owned by your user or the werbserver user?

jpenney wrote:I'd love for the chmod addon to tell everything made by the program to just 777! LOL Any ideas on how to?

Parahead wrote:You could ask your host to change the umask so that files will get 660 or 666 depending on if "username" and "www" belongs to the same usergroup or not.

Of course it is also possible for you to dig into Coranto and Multipart and do a chmod after each file is written/created, but that is more of a workadound than a real solution I think...
Parahead

Postby jpenney » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:54 pm

This is strange, since it should be the same user executing Coranto that runs the webserver when you view the image later on. Could you specify if the files created by Multipart is owned by your user or the werbserver user?

I just uploaded a file with multipart, a jpg image, it has a permission of 600. Now with my ftp program, I uploaded another file and it has a permission of 644.
Both of these files have the user of: perfeyty with the group of: psacln

Of course it is also possible for you to dig into Coranto and Multipart and do a chmod after each file is written/created, but that is more of a workadound than a real solution I think...

I'm getting desperate enough to work around it. :)
Any idea what type of command I would have to type in to use this workaround until I can find another solution? I want to use coranto to run my entire site since I will have others editing some information that don't know HTML. I won't be there to chmod each time. I can find the written/created parts, I just don't know for sure what name to tell the program to chmod. :(
jpenney

Postby Parahead » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:15 pm

jpenney wrote:I just uploaded a file with multipart, a jpg image, it has a permission of 600. Now with my ftp program, I uploaded another file and it has a permission of 644.
Strange... Have you tried contact your host to see if they can help you out with this?

jpenney wrote:I'm getting desperate enough to work around it. :)
Any idea what type of command I would have to type in to use this workaround until I can find another solution? I want to use coranto to run my entire site since I will have others editing some information that don't know HTML. I won't be there to chmod each time. I can find the written/created parts, I just don't know for sure what name to tell the program to chmod. :(
Take a look at how the chmod addon is working and replicate that behaviour...
Parahead

Postby jpenney » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:41 pm

I have finally heard back from my host. Here is what I wrote them:

Hello, all of my files created and uploaded by my cgi programs are chmoded to 600. Can you please change this to 644 through the server?

Well, apparently I've confused them, here is their reply:

If you want the cgi script to be modified, please provide the path to the cgi script and why you would like to change the permissions for the uploaded files.

Well, now I'm confused. Apparently I wasn't explaining myself correctly. I don't want them to alter the script, just to change the problem with the server.
Help?
jpenney

Postby Parahead » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:59 am

jpenney wrote:Well, now I'm confused. Apparently I wasn't explaining myself correctly. I don't want them to alter the script, just to change the problem with the server.
Help?
You could try to use the text you have written yourself above (changing the words "with multipart" to "through a cgi-script"):
jpenney wrote:I just uploaded a file with multipart, a jpg image, it has a permission of 600. Now with my ftp program, I uploaded another file and it has a permission of 644.

Maybe mention the command "umask", which sets a mask applied to newly created files or directories. Don´t know if you have one umask set when you FTP to your server and another when the webserver is running?

Or you could refer to this thread all together? ;-)
Parahead

Return to Troubleshooting