BETA Multipart 1.56

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

BETA Multipart 1.56

Postby Parahead » Fri May 28, 2004 8:35 am

I would kindly request to keep this thread open mainly for me and the BETA testers. I am aware that this procedure not quite confirm to the rules stated here and if msbzdragn, Lawrence or anyone else has any objections I will comply. Oh, and before making any posts in this thread, read belove, OK! :-D

Multipart is an excellent addon which makes it possible to upload files together with a newsitem when submitting it. It is created by l0rdphi1 and it is not open source, but I have previously made updates to it and sent those to l0rdphi1 which has then kindly released them. When talking to him about this release he has let me know that he is quite busy so I am picking up feature requests from the forum and is working on a new release. A release is not that far away...

To help me test this addon I currently have some betatesters (broomsy and fridolf78) which is doing a great job, thank you! In order to minimize the administration as much as possible and also to provide you, the community, with information about what is going on regarding the betatest we have decided to start this thread. The purpose is to collect all bugreports and feature requests that might arise along the way in a central place so that both me, the betatesters and the community has the same information at the same time.

Since the addon is not open source I will not provide a link where to download it in this thread, the betatesters has this information already. There is also no need for more betatesters and since a release is soon to come I encourage you to wait until then to get a stable version in your hand, OK!?

Currently the things that has been added into this version is:
- Fixed a bug making the Icons option always being set to "Yes"
- Upload Manager: All files are sorted true alphabetical
- Upload Field: All files in the droplists are sorted true alphabetical
- Updated the patch of the ReadForm sub to reflect the core change in that sub (eg. better newline handling).
- Upload Manager: Now possible to traverse a subdirectory tree in a Multipart Profile
- Upload Field: An option which makes it possible to upload files for a Multipart dropdown selectbox, working both at the submit and modify news page. (The "Enable selectbox uploading"-option at the Edit Field page)
- Upload Field: Option to use exact width and height or maintain aspect ratio when creating thumbnail
- Upload Field: Possible to specify width *or* height and maintain the aspect ratio accordingly.
- Upload Field: Option to always maintain aspect ratio or select this at the submit/modify news page (The "Always maintain aspect ratio?"-option at the Edit Field page).
- Upload Field: Use of time fields in the path for a Multipart userfield (ex <Field: Year>).
- Upload Field: Choose if files should be overwritten or not when uploading a file that already exists on the server. (The "Overwrite if file exists?"-option at the Edit Field page)
- Multipart Profile: Choose if files should be overwritten when uploading a file that already exists on the server.
- Multipart Profile: If a path doesn´t exist there is now an option to create it when the profile is saved

Feature requests that is interesting, but no promises is made that these will make it into this (or any!) release. In no particular order they are:
- Upload Manager: Pagination, showing files in groups (A-M, N-Z).
- Upload Manager: Changing from single delete links ([X]) to checkboxes.
- Upload Manager: Make it possible to create thumbnails.
- Upload Field: Making it possible to recreate a thumbnail at the modify news page.
- Upload Field: Attach a textfield to the file, making them a "pair". (Example, then being able to use <MultipartText: xxx> in the style)
- Add ImageMagick support.
- Upload Manager: A profile option to make users "blind" to profiles they can't upload to.
- Upload Field: Optional output type of the thumbnail file, not only jpg.
- Progress Indicator: Add a progressindicator to show how much of a file that has been uploaded.
- Upload Field: File extensions are currently case sensitive, make JPG equal jpg!
- Thumbnail creation: Improve the quality of the created thumbnails.
- Upload Field: Add option to downsize the original image that is being uploaded if larger than max width/height.
- Upload Field: Add option to specify max width/height of thumbnail and original image
- Upload Field: Make sure a thumbnail is created even if the big image is selected from a previously uploaded image through the dropdown, discussed here.
- Upload Field: Make it possible to upload an entire directory as requested here.
- Upload Field: Add a new styletag which presents an img for the file extension, as a discussed in this thread.
- Add new style tags for presenting the image (and thumbnail) height and width, as discussed here.
- Upload Field: Make it possible to limit image uploads based on width/height of the image as suggested here.

Reference threads:
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6195
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6222
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4871
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2677
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6712
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6640
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7012
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7137
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7517
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7706
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7049
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8077
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8439
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8930
[EDIT]
NOTE: Mulitpart 1.56 has been released already, but this thread is a TODO-list of things that I plan to include into the addon for future releases...
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6812
[/EDIT]
Last edited by Parahead on Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:42 am, edited 16 times in total.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Fri May 28, 2004 4:37 pm

Bug in BETA1:
There is a small problem, preventing the selectbox upload field to work as intended, will be corrected to next beta. Switch place of lines 480 and 481 and it will work though, corrected code below:
Code: Select all
 $in{$i} = $in{"modify$i"};
 $multipart_data{$in{$i}} = $multipart_data{$in{"modify$i"}};
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:15 am

Great job, Parahead. I'm looking very forward to this release. I do have one suggestion though.

In the current version of Multipart (1.55), all users see all the profiles in Upload Manager. Users might not have the option to upload files to a certain profile, but they can see the files contained within the profile. An option to make users "blind" to profiles they can't upload to would be nice.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Sat May 29, 2004 8:36 am

bozoka45 wrote:In the current version of Multipart (1.55), all users see all the profiles in Upload Manager. Users might not have the option to upload files to a certain profile, but they can see the files contained within the profile. An option to make users "blind" to profiles they can't upload to would be nice.
Yes, this would be a good option on a per profile basis, I added it to the list of feature requests. :-)

[EDIT]
Could you please elaborate how you think it should work though, since a Multipart Profile has "Upload Permissions" and "Delete Permissions". Also, it currently works so that if a user don´t have any priviliges to upload to *any* profile, he doesn´t see any, but at the moment he has the priveligies to upload to *one* profile, he can see the content of all profiles, but only upload to the one he has priveligies to.

1) If there should only be a yes/no option to "blind" the profile, which of the upload/delete fields should it "lock on to" and follow when blinding?

2) Or should it be another multiple select box called "View Permissions"? But that would make those three boxes behave kind of strange sometimes (setting "no view" but "delete" for a user as an example).

3) Maybe the best solution is to have a dropdownbox with the options SHOW THIS PROFILE TO: "All users / Only users with upload permissions / Only users with delete permissions".

4) Or do you have a suggestion to an even better solution?
[/EDIT]
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sun May 30, 2004 9:06 pm

By accident I have noticed that the Preview-function in Multipart isn´t working in Explorer (5.8?) on Mac, so if anyone out there is using Mac I could need your help locating why this isn´t working as it should. I don´t even know if this is a bug that I have introduced in this BETA or if it has been there all along, so any info on this is muched welcome. Thank you in advance...
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Mon May 31, 2004 3:41 am

2) Or should it be another multiple select box called "View Permissions"? But that would make those three boxes behave kind of strange sometimes (setting "no view" but "delete" for a user as an example).

3) Maybe the best solution is to have a dropdownbox with the options SHOW THIS PROFILE TO: "All users / Only users with upload permissions / Only users with delete permissions".

I was thinking that (in my own case) only users with upload permissions would be able to view the profiles. Other users wouldn't even know that they existed. But, just to think this through throughly:

Perhaps the most complete method (but obviously more complicated than your #3 above, which I agree is the best on your list) would be a mixture of the two? A drop down box and an option box to select users:

Show the files in this profile to: "All users / Only users with upload permissions / Only users with delete permissions / Users select below"

If the "Users selected below" method is selected, then a option list with the users would be displayed, allowing someone to select who would be able to see it.

Then, there would have to be an error checking to make sure the 3 boxes lined up. "Setting 'no view' but 'delete' for a user" would seem to be the only type of "conflicting" configuration, would it not?
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Mon May 31, 2004 7:37 pm

bozoka45 wrote:Show the files in this profile to: "All users / Only users with upload permissions / Only users with delete permissions / Users select below"

If the "Users selected below" method is selected, then a option list with the users would be displayed, allowing someone to select who would be able to see it.
I agree, this approach would give most flexibility, but I may start with my #3 to begin with, think those options is enough, no need to overdo this?

bozoka45 wrote:Then, there would have to be an error checking to make sure the 3 boxes lined up. "Setting 'no view' but 'delete' for a user" would seem to be the only type of "conflicting" configuration, would it not?
Well, "no view" together with "upload" would be kind of strange as well, or? Anyway, to take the easy way out of this scenarios I think #3 is enough... ;-)
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:29 am

Parahead wrote:
bozoka45 wrote:Show the files in this profile to: "All users / Only users with upload permissions / Only users with delete permissions / Users select below"

I agree, this approach would give most flexibility, but I may start with my #3 to begin with, think those options is enough, no need to overdo this?

bozoka45 wrote:Then, there would have to be an error checking to make sure the 3 boxes lined up. "Setting 'no view' but 'delete' for a user" would seem to be the only type of "conflicting" configuration, would it not?
Well, "no view" together with "upload" would be kind of strange as well, or? Anyway, to take the easy way out of this scenarios I think #3 is enough... ;-)

Yeah, I would agree, most people wouldn't need anything more than #3.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:07 am

I don´t know if this is to be considered a bug or not, but wanted to mention that the support that was added into 1.54 to handle more input file extensions when creating thumbnails is *always* creating the thumbnails as jpg-files, regardless of both the inputfile type and what you specify in the "Thumbnail Filename"-field.

The best would be to be able to choose the desired filetype of the created thumbnail, for example "same as original/gif/jpg/bmp/png". This has been added to the feature requests list.
Parahead

Postby fridolf78 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:30 am

Apart from the upcoming features, the latest/current version is very loyal to my sites... No problems (from what I've expired) and the new enhancements are well worth the upgrade.

Well done, Parahead!
fridolf78

include imagemagick if you can!

Postby tarkin789 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:55 am

Strong support from this humble coranto user to include imagemagick in the revision! :) How 'bout we move it from the "maybe" list to the "definitely going to be a part of this revision" list?
tarkin789

Postby NitroX_infinity » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:57 am

Small request: in the upload manager you have to specify the profile per upload box. Could you add an option to have one drop-downbox at the top of the screen?
NitroX_infinity

Re: include imagemagick if you can!

Postby Parahead » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:47 am

tarkin789 wrote:Strong support from this humble coranto user to include imagemagick in the revision! :) How 'bout we move it from the "maybe" list to the "definitely going to be a part of this revision" list?
Since Multipart 1.56 has already been released this feature will not implemented into this one, but I will at some time pick up on this list and IM support will have high focus. I just can not give you a timeframe for when this is going to happen...

NitroX_infinity wrote:Small request: in the upload manager you have to specify the profile per upload box. Could you add an option to have one drop-downbox at the top of the screen?
Yes, this would be a good thing to do, I'll have this in mind. Would one want to remove the dropdowns for the indivual fields and only have this one or have both? Hmm...
Parahead

Postby NitroX_infinity » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:51 am

Parahead wrote:Would one want to remove the dropdowns for the indivual fields and only have this one or have both?

Is that a retorical question?
NitroX_infinity

Postby Parahead » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:57 am

NitroX_infinity wrote:
Parahead wrote:Would one want to remove the dropdowns for the indivual fields and only have this one or have both?
Is that a retorical question?
Sort of Mental Note to myself, a bit stressed currently, but if you would like to give your point of view on the subject feel free... ;-)
Parahead

Next

Return to Addon Release and Support