is there an addon.....

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

is there an addon.....

Postby cmuniz48 » Sun May 23, 2004 8:47 pm

Is there an addon similar to GuestPost that allows users to post comments from a simple form, and be able to upload attached files?
cmuniz48
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:03 pm

Postby kriko » Sun May 23, 2004 8:58 pm

iSay is a commeting addon.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
User avatar
kriko
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby cmuniz48 » Sun May 23, 2004 11:41 pm

Hi kriko, thanks for your reply, i was checking iSay, but i don't want to jump into an addon that is still in testing phase... anyhow, do you know if it allows me to upload attachments along with the comments?
cmuniz48
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:03 pm

Postby bozoka45 » Mon May 24, 2004 5:48 am

I'm not sure how the addon GuestPost works, but you might want to look at Multipart, which is an upload addon. You might be able to work something out using that.
User avatar
bozoka45
 
Posts: 1159
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Postby Parahead » Mon May 24, 2004 7:58 am

cmuniz48 wrote:Hi kriko, thanks for your reply, i was checking iSay, but i don't want to jump into an addon that is still in testing phase... anyhow, do you know if it allows me to upload attachments along with the comments?
iSay does not allow you to upload attachments... I think bozoka45's suggestion about using Multipart and GuestPost together is a good one, I don´t use GuestPost myself though but don´t see any reasons why it shouldn´t work... Let us know if you either get it to work or run into problems, OK!? :-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
User avatar
Parahead
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Stockholm - Sweden

Postby thanat234 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:03 am

Just wanted to post some feedback on the use of Multipart and Guestpost together. I've been trying it out, and you can use guestpost forms to attach files, and that works out nicely (I like that the thumbnail preview works even in guestpost/form).

Problem I have now with it is that errors in multipart will still go through Coranto (crough error?). For example, if the file size is over the limit, the error page for file size limit is formed through Coranto, and then the guest poster will see the url to Coranto. The owner of the website I'm working on doesn't think that's a good idea, because it may give users the impression they stumbled onto a 'mistake' and try for hours trying to mess with Coranto (though the only thing they can do is build news and change the template).

I'm trying to figure out how to stop that, and if I can make it use custom external error pages instead...

p.s. currently searching through forums for answers or related info, so far only thing I can think of is taking a look at addon itself, or just not using an automated form at all and letting the webmaster handle submissions manually
thanat234
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:41 am

Postby Parahead » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:34 am

thanat234 wrote:Problem I have now with it is that errors in multipart will still go through Coranto (crough error?). For example, if the file size is over the limit, the error page for file size limit is formed through Coranto, and then the guest poster will see the url to Coranto. The owner of the website I'm working on doesn't think that's a good idea, because it may give users the impression they stumbled onto a 'mistake' and try for hours trying to mess with Coranto (though the only thing they can do is build news and change the template).

I'm trying to figure out how to stop that, and if I can make it use custom external error pages instead...
Updating Guestpost to allow hidden fields in the submit form to pass custom errorurl and successurl would be a good idea and would not take much time to do... You know any Perl?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
User avatar
Parahead
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Stockholm - Sweden

Postby cerberos76_ » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:34 pm

Guestpost already supports custom URLs for error pages and success pages.

I think he is referring to Multipart errors, and I do not know how they are handled (from what he says, it seems they are handles vie the coranto error display)
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:21 am

Postby Parahead » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:20 pm

cerberos76 wrote:Guestpost already supports custom URLs for error pages and success pages.

I think he is referring to Multipart errors, and I do not know how they are handled (from what he says, it seems they are handles vie the coranto error display)
Ah, I did understand the question and that it was Multipart errors, but I remembered wrong since I thought Multipart added up the errors it encountered during submit news into an array which the Coranto core routine handled, but looking into it a little bit deeper I see that the errorscreen is printed out inside Multipart... (Noticed a typo misstake I will fix in the next version as well.)

OK, but then this is a actually a little deeper problem... The thing is that Multipart is not the only addon writing out errorpages, any addon that hooks in to any of the SaveNews() hooks and validates data can present an errormessage (CustomField does this as well). Actually, there is no other way for an addon to solve that part currently, since there is no array/hash to push errors onto for Coranto to handle. One solution would be to have such an array that addons could push errors onto and then have Coranto just after the SaveNews_1 hook check that array for errors and print them out if any exists. If any addon (such as GuestPost) would like to make use of its own message system it could use the SaveNews_1 hook to do so... (Or introduce a new hook for that particular purpose)

The other solution to make Multipart being able to handle custom success/error URL's is not appealing, since that basically is not up to Multipart to deal with and would also require every addon to create it´s own scheama for handling this as well... It would also break the e-mail feature in GuestPost.

Feedback on this?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
User avatar
Parahead
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Stockholm - Sweden

Postby thanat234 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:30 pm

It took me a while rereading your post parahead to understand, it's a little over my head. I think what I understand is that trying to add support for custom error URL for multipart means that other addons that will go with Guestpost will also have to do the same. And instead you suggest that Coranto save up errors accumulated through the addons, then add a hook in SaveNews so an addon like GuestPost can do with it what it wants.

Would that require a lot of changing in the crcore.pl?

The addons I use tend to use error messages with CRCough and CRDie. Maybe a hook there at the end or before it spits out the coranto error page, so something like guestpost can have a chance to print some meta refresh tag redirecting to a URL? I know guestpost's custom thank you/error pages comes from printing a meta tag.



Parahead you asked if I knew Perl; I don't know Perl, but I've been looking over some of the addons I use so I can try and learn (and a couple I blindly tinkered with to fix/improve).
thanat234
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:41 am

Postby Parahead » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:55 am

thanat234 wrote:It took me a while rereading your post parahead to understand, it's a little over my head. I think what I understand is that trying to add support for custom error URL for multipart means that other addons that will go with Guestpost will also have to do the same. And instead you suggest that Coranto save up errors accumulated through the addons, then add a hook in SaveNews so an addon like GuestPost can do with it what it wants.
The post was mainly ment for cerberos76, since he is both the developer of GuestPost and a coredeveloper so I thought it best to be kind of technical about the question, but you have understand the situation perfectly! :-D In an ideal situation one addon should not even have to know about the other one but the core would provide the functionality needed for both to operate independently. This works in most areas in Coranto, but there are a few exceptions, this being one...

thanat234 wrote:Would that require a lot of changing in the crcore.pl?
No, quite few changes actually, but addons like Multipart and CustomFields must be updated to reflect this as well, otherwise it will make no difference. Like I mentioned in my post, the problem *can* be solved without making any changes to crcore.pl, but in the long run I think it would be the best anyway... Would be greate to have cerberos view on the idea of adding functionality into the SaveNews sub though.

thanat234 wrote:The addons I use tend to use error messages with CRCough and CRDie. Maybe a hook there at the end or before it spits out the coranto error page, so something like guestpost can have a chance to print some meta refresh tag redirecting to a URL? I know guestpost's custom thank you/error pages comes from printing a meta tag.
Yes, placing a hook in the CRcough sub would be a solution as well, but not recomended in the CRdie sub. Actually, it is possible for the GuestPost addon to inplant a hook into the CRcough sub right now without any change to the core, so that may be the quickest solution for you, since it would only require an update to the GuestPost addon.

thanat234 wrote:Parahead you asked if I knew Perl; I don't know Perl, but I've been looking over some of the addons I use so I can try and learn (and a couple I blindly tinkered with to fix/improve).
That your are poking around inside addons and try to understand them is a great, good luck! :-D
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
User avatar
Parahead
 
Posts: 4837
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Stockholm - Sweden


Return to Troubleshooting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron