Looking for suggestions on mp3 organization...

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Looking for suggestions on mp3 organization...

Postby Sharky » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:53 pm

Well, I got past the hardest part and now have Coranto up and running on my web page! I am so excited. I feel like a mathmatician that just found out calculators exist; except I have no idea where the power switch is.

Anyways, I am looking to add a section on my webpage where I can host my friends' music. There will be multiple artist. So what I was thinking is something like this.... Have a folder set up where I keep all my friends mp3s. Somehow have Coranto see this folder and automatically organize the mp3's in a specific way. ie. artist name, album name, track name (by reading the tags).

Like I said, I am very new to Coranto, and news programs in general, so I may be way off asking if Coranto can even do this. Any ideas, suggestions, or criticisms are welcome; even if you recommend other programs.

my site as of now - http://warped-galaxy.com/

Thanks! -Alex-
Sharky

Postby Parahead » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:07 pm

There is an addon named NewFiles which can take the files in a folder (and/or subfolders) and display those, but to my knowledge there is no addon that can take MP3-files and read the tags inside... But if you know Perl I am sure an addon could be done that does this.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Sharky » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:34 pm

I have about as much knowledge about programming that a mouse does. I really rely on you guys to already have addons and tutorials setup.

NewFiles sounds like it may work. I dont have to use the tag information. It would be nice though.

Can you post some links of sites that have used NewFiles. I would like to see how it is commonly used before trying to figure it out.

Thanks
Sharky

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:00 am

I have an idea of how to do it, but it would require that you upload each file and submit it to a database one at a time. I'll help you with that if you're interested.
bozoka45

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:12 am

You can use newfiles to include say, a large number of files (100?) to check last modified date, and include it.

Although, then it would be sorted by last modified date.
The Newfiles addon enhancement by Parahead could be easily modified to include all files in that directory and sub directories and sort them in alphabetical order or something.

With all that options, it could be a new addon. cra_DirectoryList.pl anyone?
faithless

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:19 am

Since I'm bored and have nothing to do this afternoon, let me go "hack" an addon out for you.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:25 am

Sharky, my updated version of NewFiles with the possibility to include subfolders can be found through one of the links in my signature. The official release by Elvii can be found through the addon-section of this site.

faithless wrote:With all that options, it could be a new addon. cra_DirectoryList.pl anyone?
I make a mental note on this... ;-) Attachment to mental note: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6196
Parahead

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:50 am

oops. sorry. looked thru newfiles' source and it seems there isn't really any need for major changes to do what Sharky wants.

Edit the NewFiles profile, and delete the values for Filter by time and Filter by number (i.e. blank) and this will list all files in the directory...

However, it'll be sorted in Reverse Chrno order.
So, change line 200 in cra_newfiles.pl from this:
Code: Select all
@newfiles = @newfiles [ sort { $filedates[$b] <=> $filedates[$a] } 0 .. $#filedates ];

to this:
Code: Select all
@newfiles = sort @newfiles

and it'll sort in alphabetical order.

Please note, this is just a hap-hazard "hack" and would cause your NewFiles profile to all sort in alphabetical order.

Parahead: perhaps in your next revision, you could add an option to select sort orders like this, and as well as an option to include all subdirectories automactically or have the user specify only which directorys to include.

EDIT:
Parahead: maybe an option to IGNORE html files would be nice too.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:59 am

Yep, these are all valid and good points, I will look into this. Right now I am spending most of my programing time on ShadowMail, which is basically finished, just some minor things and documentation left. After that I can start looking at this but faithless or anyone else, feel free to do the updates from version 1.1 if you have the time, I don´t claim any exclusive rights what so ever to update the addon, since it is not mine to begin with... ;-)
Parahead

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:29 am

hmmmm. i'll go work on the include all subdirectories thingy. i got a working sub like this somewhere in one of my scripts.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:37 pm

faithless wrote:Parahead: maybe an option to IGNORE html files would be nice too.
Yeah, or even better, implement the suggestion from this thread: http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6196
Parahead

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:21 pm

Parahead: After sending my last PM to you, I've looked at the code again and decided it would be more efficient to rewrite the entire (90% maybe?) newfiles build routine so that it can handle the different sort methods as well as to handle the subdirs and limiting of filetypes.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:38 pm

Yeah, go rigth ahead and knock your self out! :-) Don´t know if you plan on making it a totaly new addon instead if it is that much that needs to be recoded and with this new functionality the name NewFiles might be a bit misleading? Also, since the addon is Elvii´s to start with it might be better in a license perspective aswell?
Parahead

Postby Sharky » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:30 pm

I will take a look at Newfiles as soon as I get comforatable with Coranto. I have it working, but still feel very uneducated on its true potential. Thanks for the replies guys, now I know where to start once I figure this program out.
Sharky

Postby faithless » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:33 pm

Sharky wrote:I will take a look at Newfiles as soon as I get comforatable with Coranto. I have it working, but still feel very uneducated on its true potential. Thanks for the replies guys, now I know where to start once I figure this program out.

New Files Advanced:
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6517
faithless

Return to Troubleshooting