Translation status as of Coranto 1.22

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Translation status as of Coranto 1.22

Postby doom » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:09 pm

Hi

I would like to know what are the plans for localized versions of Coranto.

Also, how do you guys translate your Coranto installations?

Currently, is there any way to have 2 language files and actually use the Language Setting for each user?

I just edited my crlang.pl file and translated all the sentences there. It works well.

Its only a problem when a new version comes up. But theres always Beyond Compare ;)

doom

Re: Translation status as of Coranto 1.22

Postby kriko » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:29 am

doom wrote:Its only a problem when a new version comes up.

actually, it aint a problem, since this file hasn't been updated since b29, I think.

so you don't need to overwrite it when upgrading.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:41 pm

and the fact that coranto now uses language packs as of 1.10 is totally unnoticed?
..nuttier then a squirrel turd..
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby doom » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm

Insane Ninja, hmm i suppose thats a good thing.
But how does that work?
doom

Postby kriko » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:35 am

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:and the fact that coranto now uses language packs as of 1.10 is totally unnoticed?

um. no, language packs or crl_lang.pl files work since b29 or with even earlier versions.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby kriko » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:37 am

doom wrote:But how does that work?

copy "crlang.pl" to "crl_MYLANGUAGENAME.pl"
then open the file, then change the parts you want.
then goto coranto, in user settings pick the language.

note that this replaces most of the sentences in normal and high user mode.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby doom » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:03 pm

kriko wrote:
doom wrote:But how does that work?

copy "crlang.pl" to "crl_MYLANGUAGENAME.pl"
then open the file, then change the parts you want.
then goto coranto, in user settings pick the language.

note that this replaces most of the sentences in normal and high user mode.

Hi Kriko,

This doesnt work.

English is still the only language available for selection.
Last edited by doom on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doom

Postby Parahead » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:56 pm

Code: Select all
#! CRLANGUAGE 1
#! NAME [LANGUAGE]

The first two lines in your file crl_MYLANGUAGENAME.pl must look like the above, where [LANGUAGE] should be replaced with the name that you want to show up in the dropdownbox.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby doom » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:18 pm

Parahead wrote:
Code: Select all
#! CRLANGUAGE 1
#! NAME [LANGUAGE]

The first two lines in your file crl_MYLANGUAGENAME.pl must look like the above, where [LANGUAGE] should be replaced with the name that you want to show up in the dropdownbox.

Thanks Parahead. It seems to be working now.
doom

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:58 pm

Well, actually it's very poor.

It doesn't translate more than roughly 1/4 of all the text in the core verison of Coranto. It also took away all my menu choices, and didn't take into consideration many of the sentences I translated.

Is this being worked on in the 1.30 series? I think it would be a smashing feature, and people will line up to do translations if only the ground work is done.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby kriko » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:50 pm

Coranto has been modified a lot since b29. Beta 29 had the support for translations and it actually worked pretty well, though, the newer versions contain modified code, new words and sentences - all of these are displayed directly and the language file isnt used.

Note that the language files were ment only to replace the sentences for low and high level users.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Parahead » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:59 pm

Better message handling and flexibility of languages in general is required to get Coranto to be able to support more than one language. This is not limited to the core messages since there are alot of addons that provide their own messages so some sort of language feature needs to be provided to addons as well.

In genereal it is quite a mess to try to implement languagesupport to an existing product.
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:08 pm

Yeah, I realize that addons have to be handled separately, but this can only be done if the addon author wants to, by designing his or her addons like any other script that support multiple languages: By variable definitions at the top of the script or in a separate file. By then, anybody who wants to can easily translate the addon in 5 minutes after it's released.

However, to encourage addon authors to do this, one would need to be able to translate Coranto properly. I know I'm not to argue aobut this as I don't know much perl, but I think that such a feature could gain Coranto quite a few users from different non-English spekaing countries as well. Which wouldn't be THAT bad?

SrNupsen

SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm

I don´t say it is a bad idea, on the contrary, it is an excellent idea! And me mentioning addons was just to point out that all addons should support languages in the same way and since there is no no real core feature for addons to rely on currently so any implementation would be different. This in turn would make the translationwork harder than it aught to be...

Another thing to take into considiration when doing languagesupport is that for example a message that reads: "Back to Admin" where Admin is a link and therefore maybe not included in the languagefile and thus it is not translated. Or, if that sentance actually is included in the translationfile like:
"Back to"
"Admin"

The *order* of the words is defined in the code anyway, which *might* be a problem in some language where you would like to write: "Admin, back to"

This is just an example. Like I said, making Coranto support languages better than today is a good thing, but I would say that it is just not that easy as to have a bunch of words and sentances in an external file.
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:31 pm

Parahead wrote:I don´t say it is a bad idea, on the contrary, it is an excellent idea! And me mentioning addons was just to point out that all addons should support languages in the same way and since there is no no real core feature for addons to rely on currently so any implementation would be different. This in turn would make the translationwork harder than it aught to be...

Well, no, I don't think an "universal" language support system is needed (this would complicate things unneccesary). How the addon actually does this is up to the addon author, as long as there is a clear point at which one can enter and translate phrases.

Parahed wrote:Another thing to take into considiration when doing languagesupport is that for example a message that reads: "Back to Admin" where Admin is a link and therefore maybe not included in the languagefile and thus it is not translated. Or, if that sentance actually is included in the translationfile like:
"Back to"
"Admin"

The *order* of the words is defined in the code anyway, which *might* be a problem in some language where you would like to write: "Admin, back to"

Well, this is only a problem if one doesn't think about language support from the beginning when coding an addon. I agree that it can be difficult when trying to turn non-supportive addons into supportive ones, but when starting from scratch one could easily avoid this type of problem, I think.

I've personally translated lots of scripts and it certainly gives me a good feeling :)

SrNupsen

SrNupsen

Next

Return to Customization