Coranto 1.22.1 :)

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto 1.22.1 :)

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:51 pm

I've published a fix for the NewsProfiles bug that crept into the 1.2x series. This fix was discovered by fellow forum members and is included in this version

Thanks! :)

Download 1.22.1
Stuff I'm working on:
- nothing

Addons:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-craddons/
Lawrence

Postby Pirate Elf » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:47 am

Ok I have been questioning this for awhile now.. I have been running 1.02 for a long time now and have refused to update because whenever I get ready there is a massive bug that shows up. I have been watching the dev of the new ones and I am curious are there any big enough fixes to warrant perhaps ruining my site? Also do we have a listing somewhere of what addons break with 1.22?
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Joyrex » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:58 am

What files should we update?
We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of the dreams...
Joyrex

Postby Parahead » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:30 am

I have had the privilage to build up a new site just during the same time as the versions from 1.02 up to 1.22.1 has released so I have had good time to test them out.

Personaly I am using the following addons togheter with 1.22 without problems:
ChangeDateNew 3.0
ezStats 0.94
Filter By Field 2 2.0
Maginot build 10
Modify News: User Column build 2
Multipart 1.52 (build 18 )
NewFiles beta build 1
News Categories build 8
News Columns 1.1
Sort Orders 2.0 beta
X MultiSubmit 2.0 beta 7

The discussion in this thread about adding two verion-fields to the addon-section is an excellent idea in my opinion.
Parahead

Re: Coranto 1.22.1 :)

Postby msbzdragn » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:28 pm

Lawrence wrote:I've published a fix for the NewsProfiles bug that crept into the 1.2x series. This fix was discovered by fellow forum members and is included in this version

Thanks! :)

Download 1.22.1

Ummm - Lawrence, even *I* am confused here. Aren't you working on 1.23.x, ie. this should be 1.23.something? We can't arbitrarily go back and add releases in between others. :)
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby LoneOwl » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:14 pm

Sometimes I'm not sure what's even the latest version... I just use an old version that works ok for me since I don't use it heavily. How old is 1.01?
LoneOwl

Postby Parahead » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:23 am

I really think that the labeling of versions is rather inconsistent at the moment and it should be clearified how labeling is done.

When we went to the offical 1.20 it was because the beta-versions where labeled 1.10, 1.11 and so one and then when the offical release was made it was labeled 1.20. I am OK with that...

Now when we are using 1.22.1, Lawrence is also building new betas/tests with version 1.30-test1, what will this be called when it becomes offical? 1.30? In that case it is not the same beta -> offical labeling procedure as last time! 1.40? Yes, should be, but then we are skipping version-numbers?

And the thing about "fixing" already published releases, Some version in the 1.21.x series and 1.22.1 has been "republished" with fixed code in it. So someone that has downloaded for example verison 1.22.1 at one point can not be sure he has the latest 1.22.1 since the one on the site can have been modified... And then we have a problem when people is reporting bugs for a certain version, the old or the new one?

I know the labeling of versions has been discussed before, one example is this thread. My intention really is not to pick on anyone but personally I think that the labeling of versions need to be clarified... OK? :D
Parahead

Postby Pirate Elf » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:57 am

LoneOwl wrote:Sometimes I'm not sure what's even the latest version... I just use an old version that works ok for me since I don't use it heavily. How old is 1.01?

DAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is how I feel. I am still using 1.02. The version thing is a weeeee bit out of hand.
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Zygor » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:19 am

What should happen: Coranto should have a plateau in the development side. With 1.02 we had a nice long period where addons could get updated *cough* like facelift *end cough*. Also people know where they stood.

Development has become a little too eager with the jumping too many releases in. I think that it's time that a milestone process like that of phpBB is put in place. This would give a direction (and goals) to work for. And it would only be released when it is finished and has NO bugs. Much nicer and helps new people get a grip on whats going on.
Zygor
I drop by now and again.
Zygor

Postby Pirate Elf » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:51 am

Zygor wrote:What should happen: Coranto should have a plateau in the development side. With 1.02 we had a nice long period where addons could get updated *cough* like facelift *end cough*. Also people know where they stood.

Development has become a little too eager with the jumping too many releases in. I think that it's time that a milestone process like that of phpBB is put in place. This would give a direction (and goals) to work for. And it would only be released when it is finished and has NO bugs. Much nicer and helps new people get a grip on whats going on.

Agreed :roll:
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Sumaleth » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:00 am

Yeah, it's got out of hand. That's a good way of putting it.

Seems that we've been on the verge of a new stable release for some 7 months now, and I almost think we're 6 months past the point where we should have just gone back to 1.02 and started again.

I don't mean to slight all the hard work that has gone into it, but this perpetual downtime is just not the right way to go about it.

1.02 was a good version. I still use it on all my sites, and most of the addons had no problem with it. I don't really know what has been added to all the newer versions, but can 7 months of confusion and incompatibilites really be worth whatever was added?

Is there a list of improvements since 1.02 somewhere?

Now I dont know nearly enough about the post-1.02 versions to make an informed comment; I'm just throwing the idea out there that it might be better to go back to 1.02, fix any bugs that need to be fixed, and concentrate on the -real- problems (like better mysql support, more forum support etc).

Just a thought..
Sumaleth

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:48 pm

As far as numbering is concerned:

- The 'official' releases should only have two numbers divided by a point (like 1.02; or 1.20; or 1.22)
- Any addition/bug fix/incremental improvements should have the form of 1.yy.x

Please Lawrence, do NOT skip numbers.
*Any* new release (even correcting only a spelling mistake) should have a new incremental number.
If deemed necessary, the addition/bug fixes should be included in an official release within a week or so of being done.
So, Dragon should now produce a nice button and release this latest version (1.22.1) as 1.23 when deemed stable enough.

Since v 1.02 there has been simply two official releases: 1.20 and 1.22.
They both contained some bugs and they both were promptly corrected. A log file is contained in each release indicating the full set of changes/additions.
As far as addon compatibility the only big issue is with CSQL, which Lauwrence already promised to solve as soon as possible (plus facelift, which will anyway probalby only work for a single version).

The current versions present incremental/small additions and improvements respect to 1.02.
The test version is for progressively introduce a totally *new* set of features that will give Coranto flexibility and scalability it misses (working with large databases). It will completly redesign the core build, so it is NOT for use with current live sites at present.
It will progress once the current core is stable enough to guarantee peaceful development.

Please thank all those who put time into the project and its improvements. Noone is perfect and bugs have always been corrected promtply.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby kriko » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:31 pm

Joyrex wrote:What files should we update?

Check the Newbie forum Upgrade tutorial
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Parahead » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:24 pm

Thank you for the clarification cerberos! :-)

I also would like to thank all of those that put time and effort into Coranto, especially the core developers Lawrence and cerberos! In my eyes the recent "problems" with version-labeling is just because Lawrence being a bit hasty to please a demanding comunity with quickly fixed releases!? ;-)

Although, I just would like to point out that the SortOrders-addon should be updated to reflect the new hook introduced in the core so the problem when using multiple categories would be eliminated, discussed in the thread below:
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4672

:?: I have a working modified copy installed at my site, altough it does contain some other sorting-types as well that I was in need of, but if Lawrence is interested I could make an update of the offical SortOrders which would then include the new hook and also a numeric sort.
Parahead

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:59 pm

Parahead wrote::?: I have a working modified copy installed at my site, altough it does contain some other sorting-types as well that I was in need of, but if Lawrence is interested I could make an update of the offical SortOrders which would then include the new hook and also a numeric sort.

I think your contributions are more than welcome. Lawrence addons are furthermore open source. So I am confident Lauwrence will be pleased to hear of improvements to Sort Orders (... you can start already preparing this updated sort orders...).

I am sure he will reply to this as well.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older