[REQUEST] Spaces in Username

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

[REQUEST] Spaces in Username

Postby NitroX_infinity » Thu May 15, 2003 11:08 am

I would like it very much if in the next version of coranto you could use spaces when creating a username. Right now I'm stuck with either Mark, Mark_Huizing or MarkHuizing. Now that doesn't look nice does it? Especially when you're trying to make a professional site.
NitroX_infinity

Postby msbzdragn » Thu May 15, 2003 12:57 pm

Create a user field called "DisplayName", and then call UserField_DisplayName in your news styles. Put your name with all the spaces and bizarre other characters you like in this field, and it will be used in your news output.

There's no real need to have spaces in the usernames when you can do this. :)
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Pirate Elf » Thu May 15, 2003 3:10 pm

Or to be a little less cryptic. Maybe it didn't make sense completely because I just woke up, but here is also an example. :-)

Create a new user field called Current_Alias (or something like it)
then add the following code to your style where you would like the name displayed:

Code: Select all
<If: Field: UserField_Current_Alias>
<Field: UserField_Current_Alias>
<If: Else>
<Field: User>
</If>

Something like that is the only real answer at the moment. All though I would like to request being able to input 2 character user names. Alot of my posters have names like Sg, Bo, etc, and using Bo_ is annoying. This little example is only a work around for a small problem a few people face. :-)
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Thu May 15, 2003 3:15 pm

i've used this for a while..
added to newbie sticky
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby msbzdragn » Thu May 15, 2003 3:34 pm

Pirate Elf wrote:Something like that is the only real answer at the moment. All though I would like to request being able to input 2 character user names. Alot of my posters have names like Sg, Bo, etc, and using Bo_ is annoying. This little example is only a work around for a small problem a few people face. :-)

Why does their login name have to be the same as their display name? I don't know anybody who has a two-character name in real life - use their real name if Bo_ looks bad. :p

That said, the shorter your usernames are, the easier they are to guess - and if people guess your usernames, they're halfway to getting into your Coranto install. If "bo" had a two character name and used a common password, somebody could be into your Coranto without permission in minutes. :p
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Pirate Elf » Thu May 15, 2003 4:01 pm

msbzdragn wrote:Why does their login name have to be the same as their display name? I don't know anybody who has a two-character name in real life - use their real name if Bo_ looks bad. :p

That said, the shorter your usernames are, the easier they are to guess - and if people guess your usernames, they're halfway to getting into your Coranto install. If "bo" had a two character name and used a common password, somebody could be into your Coranto without permission in minutes. :p

Half the people I know never use their real names online, but the example you used is the one person that does use his real name. LOL! His name really is Bo.

As far as guessing user names, it wouldn't really matter to me because I don't allow any access to my site outside standard and can always manually hack my own site if neccessary. I'm not saying my idea would be good for general public, but for my site 1 character logins and two charactr logins would be very ideal for me. I have looked into manually doing it myself but I still don't fully understand where the data is located that I would have to change. So for now as a work around I recommend the alias function. :-)

Just agreeing and disaggreeing in a roundabout way. :-)
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Thu May 15, 2003 6:26 pm

<perlcode>
$spaceduser = $user s/_/ /;
</perlcode>

<Field: spaceduser>

i can read perl.. but havent learned to write it yet, how would i correct this to work?
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby Pirate Elf » Thu May 15, 2003 6:29 pm

not sure but that looks like it does the same as the display name feature. What i was mentioning was going through the core manually and finding where it limits 3 characters and up and changing that to 1 and the password to accept less than 5. only for my copy though, as this could be a major security issue for others
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Thu May 15, 2003 6:36 pm

well with that perlcode i just attempted to write.. it may solve that problem...
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby Pirate Elf » Thu May 15, 2003 6:40 pm

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:well with that perlcode i just attempted to write.. it may solve that problem...

Nah cause that would be a style command, and I already have the display set up perfect, but I have always wanted a login name called Q, simple and to the point, but it won't work. And two letter logins are great. I will probably ask lawrence later if he would know how I would manually do it on mine.
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby l0rdphi1 » Fri May 16, 2003 12:35 am

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:<perlcode>
$spaceduser = $user s/_/ /;
</perlcode>

<Field: spaceduser>

i can read perl.. but havent learned to write it yet, how would i correct this to work?
Code: Select all
(my $spaceduser = $User) =~  s/_/ /g;
l0rdphi1

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Fri May 16, 2003 1:49 am

yea.. if you had your 5 digit thing in there still.. it would work out to be __Q__
and turn into Q

oh.. and i know that in basic english... thats "strip _ and replace with blank space" but whats the "g" for?
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby faithless » Mon May 26, 2003 1:26 am

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:yea.. if you had your 5 digit thing in there still.. it would work out to be __Q__
and turn into Q

oh.. and i know that in basic english... thats "strip _ and replace with blank space" but whats the "g" for?

'g' means substitutes all the patterns matched by in a string while omitting it only substitutes the first occurence.

more regular expressions. -- link courtesy of AeroSoul.
faithless

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Mon May 26, 2003 9:24 am

very cool.. thank you
..nuttier then a squirrel turd..
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby dotcom22_ » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:25 pm

hello

am sorry but when you say:

----------------------
Create a user field called "DisplayName", and then call UserField_DisplayName in your news styles. Put your name with all the spaces and bizarre other characters you like in this field, and it will be used in your news output.
-----------------------

Ok i have set a DisplayName field as Userfield...but...:

What you mean by " Put your name with all the spaces and bizarre other characters you like in this field " ???
Where i must put this data ?? in the html of the news style ?? or in other place ??

And what kind of charactere i can insert ?..like ABCDEFGabcdefd-_/() ??

..i don't undestand...

I don't need to set something about the display method in the news...

I try to find the solution to insert a message somewhere at the login user GUI page..

In fact my problem are all my user have allready some data user info from other script in my website and i don't want give to my user a lot of different username and password...

Sometime Username are in 2 word like that " my-exemple " or " my-username "..
The problem with Coranto are i don't support username with - ...but only with underscore like _

SO i need to get a solution..or for change the config of Coranto (this i think is not possible)..or to display a warning message at the login page for say to my user something like : Warning : you must login using _ instead - in your username....

I have try to edit some coranto file but without success...i don't see how i can insert some html...

any suggestion welcome...
Thanks in advance and best regards

Dotcom22
dotcom22_

Next

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development