Can newsid or newstime be the same on two posts?

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Can newsid or newstime be the same on two posts?

Postby Paul » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:30 pm

Ok this is just a quick question.

The directory where all my files are stored is called "news".

Let's say I posted something, obviously it will create an shtml file and put that file in my "news" directory. let's say the file name is 1048401779.shtml

In a month from now, let's say I want to delete it from coranto. So I got to modify news and delete it, so it will remove it from the newsdat.txt file. But the 1048401779.shtml file itself will STAY in my news directory. (That's a good thing).

But considering this file has been deleted from the newsdat.txt, will it someday overwrite it in the news directory and create the same file 1048401779.shtml?

The reason I am asking this question is because my newsdat.txt is nearly 50mb, and I deleted pretty much everything from it, but I have them (the files in my news dir) linked to the direct path from another page. Will those file names be over-written some day?
Paul

Postby Sumaleth » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:48 pm

If those files are created by Maginot, then they will never be overwritten by Coranto because the filename (newsid) is unique for every entry and you'll never get the same newsid for another entry.
Sumaleth

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:00 pm

the first few digits of the newsid are based on time, the last few are random digits

so unless time on your server starts over again.. and then the random generator hits it at the same second...

lets just say.. no
InSAnE NiNjA

Return to Troubleshooting