iSay help ;(

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

iSay help ;(

Postby tecnit » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:09 am

Hello everyone!

I've been at this for the last 3 or so days trying to get iSay to work but no luck :(... I don't want to have to use phpBB or YaBB but I probably couldn't install the comment addon for those board either since I know close to no programming what so ever... Take a look on this page, http://tecnition.1800-webhosting.com/

I've tried editing everything and I get Internal Server Error... at one point through my useless editing of files, I got a message that said iSay_Config.dat does not exist, even when it did...

The code I'm using in my news style is as follows:

Code: Select all
<a href="/cgi-bin/coranto/iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>">Comments (<script language="javascript" src="/cgi-bin/coranto/iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi?ID=<Field: newsid>&js"></script>)</a>

Any help would be greatly apprecieted!

BTW, I've installed all of iSay correctly atleast 3 times and checked everything over...
tecnit

Re: iSay help ;(

Postby faithless » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:35 am

docs/readme.txt wrote:Step 1.

Open "iSay.cgi" and "iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi" in a plain text editor
(example: notepad or wordpad) and edit the path to Perl
at the top (if needed). The default should work for most servers.

Step 2.

Edit the variables at the top of "iSay.cgi" and "iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi".
faithless

Postby tecnit » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:58 am

I feel like I've done that a hundred times already... but no matter, I will try again!
tecnit

Postby faithless » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:44 am

Can you show me what you have for these few variables in iSay.cgi?
# Absolute or relative path to the directory where iSay.cgi is in.
# There's no need to fill this out unless you encounter problems.
$AbsolutePath = '';

# Absolute or relative path to "crcfg.dat". Leave the filename intact in the path.
# There's no need to change this if it is located in the same folder as iSay.cgi.
$crcfg = 'crcfg.dat';

# Absolute or relative path to "newsdat.txt". Leave the filename intact in the path.
# There's no need to change this if it is located in the same folder as iSay.cgi.
$newsdat = 'data/newsdat.txt';

# Absolute or relative path to "iSay_Config.dat". Leave the filename intact in the path.
$SettingsFile = 'iSay_Config.dat';

# Set to 1 to enable file locking if you know your server supports it, 0 to disable.
$UseFlock = 1;

# Set to 1 to enable PerlCode in template designs, 0 to disable.
$EnableRawPerl = 1;

# Set to 1 if you're using IIS, 0 otherwise.
$IIS = 0;

And also if you're getting a internal server error, CHMOD your iSay.cgi to 0755 if it isn't already so.
If it is already CHMODed to 0755, then check that you uploaded it correctly in ASCII mode and not BINARY or AUTO mode.
As a last attempt, check that you did not accidentally remove any semi-colons (;) at the end of the lines when you edited iSay.cgi.
faithless

Ugh...

Postby tecnit » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 pm

$AbsolutePath = ''; # Absolute or relative path to the directory where iSay.cgi is in. There's no need to fill this out unless you encounter problems.
$crcfg = 'home/tecnit/public_html/cgi-bin/coranto/crcfg.dat'; # Absolute or relative path to "crcfg.dat". Leave the filename intact.
$newsdat = 'home/tecnit/public_html/news/newsdat.txt'; # Absolute or relative path to "newsdat.txt". Leave the filename intact.
$SettingsFile = 'home/tecnit/public_html/cgi-bin/coranto/iSay_Config.dat'; # Absolute or relative path to "iSay_Config.dat". Leave the filename intact.

$IIS = 0; # Set to 1 if you're using IIS and are having problems with cookies, 0 otherwise.
$UseFlock = 1; # Set to 1 to enable file locking if you know your server supports it, 0 to disable.
$EnableRawPerl = 1; # Set to 1 to enable PerlCode in template designs, 0 to disable.

Done all that man, I don't know what else to do, I'm through with this... ;\ I have completely no idea why it isn't working
tecnit

Re: Ugh...

Postby faithless » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:10 pm

You need the slash (/) infront of "home". That means you'll have:
$AbsolutePath = '';
$crcfg = '/home/tecnit/public_html/cgi-bin/coranto/crcfg.dat';
$newsdat = '/home/tecnit/public_html/news/newsdat.txt';
$SettingsFile = '/home/tecnit/public_html/cgi-bin/coranto/iSay_Config.dat';
$IIS = 0;
$UseFlock = 1;
$EnableRawPerl = 1;
faithless

Re: Ugh...

Postby Parahead » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:52 pm

tecnit wrote:Done all that man, I don't know what else to do, I'm through with this... ;\ I have completely no idea why it isn't working
Why that boring attitude when you do are getting help? :roll:
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Progress!

Postby tecnit » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:46 pm

Thank you for all your help! I think it worked but I still have some quirks to work out:

a) In Mozilla Firefox, I can't click the comment link on the most recent comment but it works in IE... what gives ? :?:

b) Doesn't show the number of comments :roll:

c) Maybe iSay isn't what I was supposed to use with what I wanted done in mind. Heres what I had planned to have happen. Everytime I post news on the site itself, below it, there would be a field where it asks someone their username / email / comment text, not the way it is now, where you click 'Comments ()' and it takes you to a different page. An example of what I'm trying to have done is this, http://www.hotelblues.com/wow/coranto/iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=EEpkyEZZlAPfwVCHFI I didn't have registration to post comments in mind either atleast not now. Maybe I've got the wrong addon ? :roll:

All in all, atleast some progress has been made, thanks for your help!
tecnit

Postby tecnit » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:50 pm

Wow I realized I'll be able to sleep tonight... 8)
tecnit

Re: Progress!

Postby faithless » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:41 am

tecnit wrote:b) Doesn't show the number of comments :roll:

docs/readme.txt wrote:Step 8.

Add the following selected method (indented text between the lines)
into the news style(s) where you want the comments link to appear
(change all the URLs appropriately, if needed):

JavaScript method:
--------------------------------------------------
<a href="iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>">Comments (<script language="javascript" src="iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi?ID=<Field: newsid>&js"></script>)</a>

PHP method:
<a href="iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>">Comments (<?php include("iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi?ID=<Field: newsid>"); ?>)</a>

SSI (Server Side Includes) method (with iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi):
<a href="iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>">Comments (<!--#include virtual="iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi?ID=<Field: newsid>"-->)</a>

SSI (Server Side Includes) method (Static Comment Count Counter files):
<a href="iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>">Comments (<!--#include virtual="path/to/counter/files/iSayCommentCount_<Field: newsid>.txt"-->)</a>
faithless

Re: Progress!

Postby bozoka45 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:58 am

tecnit wrote:a) In Mozilla Firefox, I can't click the comment link on the most recent comment but it works in IE... what gives ? :?:

Probalby has something to do with the JavaScript. FF and IE don't like to play nice with JS at the same time.

c) Maybe iSay isn't what I was supposed to use with what I wanted done in mind. Heres what I had planned to have happen. Everytime I post news on the site itself, below it, there would be a field where it asks someone their username / email / comment text, not the way it is now, where you click 'Comments ()' and it takes you to a different page. An example of what I'm trying to have done is this, http://www.hotelblues.com/wow/coranto/iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=EEpkyEZZlAPfwVCHFI I didn't have registration to post comments in mind either atleast not now. Maybe I've got the wrong addon ? :roll:

It can be done, you'll just need to mess around with it.
bozoka45

Postby tecnit » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:59 am

Alright well, I'm still trying to work out the 'no comment number' problem, hopefully that'll be fixed sooner than later. As for the top comment link not working in Firefox... I've tried using the other methods like SSI and PHP but they don't help at all, any other suggestions ? Could it be some thing in the coding of the site somehow ?
tecnit

Postby faithless » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:28 am

What's the current style for your comment link?
As for the "number of comments", note that if you're using the ssi (server side includes) method, the generated news profile must have a file extension that your server recognises and parse for ssi, usually .shtml or .shtm.
faithless

Postby tecnit » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:48 pm

<a href="/cgi-bin/coranto/iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>">Comments (<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/coranto/iSay_GetCommentCount.cgi?ID=<Field: newsid>"-->)</a>

Yes, the server does recognises SHTML.

There are 3 template files in Coranto itself, which would I have to edit to show Archives Link/Archives using my webpage template rather than the blank HTML pages that the Archives are shown on ?
tecnit

Postby tecnit » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:14 pm

Hmm... oddly enough, when I go to http://tecnition.1800-webhosting.com/news/news.shtml , the links work and the number of comments also show up, I still don't understand why it doesn't work on the main page...
tecnit

Next

Return to Addon Release and Support