New Files Advanced 1.0

All new Coranto Addons, updates and patches to addons, will be released here...also, get support for addons within!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

New Files Advanced 1.0

Postby faithless » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:15 am

New Files Advanced creates a list of recently-modified files in a specific directory and more.

New Files Advanced works via the profile system.
It builds on and enhances the original idea behind the original NewFiles addon by Elvii.

Authors:
Original Author: Elvii.
Current Authors: Parahead and faithless.

ChangeLog:
New Files Advanced 1.0 (Mar. 28/2004): -faithless
- Complete rewrite of the sub "NewFiles_Build". (Now slower and more redundant than ever! :shock: )
- Added functionality to recurse and index sub-directories.
- Added functionality to selectively allow or disallow certain file types.
- Added advanced options to sort output in an order other than the default (Reverse Chronological).
- Added funky Sub: isNewDirectory.
- Added additional News Style Tags for use.
- Made main profile file optional so that one can use the profile to just generate a timestamp for the last updated file.
- Renamed addon to better reflect what it does and to prevent confusion with the old NewFiles addon by Elvii.

Installation & Usage:
Please refer to the readme.txt that comes along with the distribution .zip file and the documentation for details.

Download Link:
http://coranto.org/get.php?g=EplpuFyZAFLBGxPqNl
faithless

Postby tony2003 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:24 am

Hi faithless,
Sorry to appear so dumb :confused:
But can you give me some ideas as to the benefits of this addon.
i've read the readme.txt but I just can't get my head 'round how I might use this.
thanks
:oops:
tony2003

Re: New Files Advanced 1.0

Postby faithless » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:19 pm

faithless wrote:New Files Advanced creates a list of recently-modified files in a specific directory and more.
faithless

Postby tony2003 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:37 pm

OK
tony2003

Postby Parahead » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:31 pm

tony2003 wrote:I have read the ReadMe text and understand completely that it sets up a directory of newly modified files!
My question is - to what use can this be put for those of us who run a regularly updated news site?
I'm not questioning the validity of such an addon, but just what use it can be put to.
First off, you can leave the filter options in the NewFiles-profile empty and get a list of (specific) files in a directory/ies, not just the "recently-modified" ones.

Personally I use the addon to create a "Site Last Modified"-feature and also list a directory with documents/protocols. Just what it is ment to do... But if you can´t find a need for it on your site, the solution is simple, just don´t use it!? ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby faithless » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:32 pm

Ok. Sorry about the short reply earlier.
What New Files Advanced does is parse a specified directory and maybe it's sub directories and even sub-sub-directories for files and then output the files to a normal profile .txt file.

Its primary purpose is to look up recently modifed files in the directory and then sort the files in the output according to the last-modifed file.

However, that is not its only purpose.
Like Parahead said, it could also be used as a directory listing of files.
More advanced usage would be if you want it to only display .mp3's and .wmv's files, like a fellow forum user Sharky requested, you could set it up to filter and only output files in .mp3 or .wmv formats.
Using <If: Sub: isNewDirectory> with News styles, you could even create a Explorer-like listing.

Another usage of it would be like what Parahead uses it for: To parse a directory for new/updated files and then generate a last updated time for them.

Another "hidden" feature of the New Files Advanced addon would be similar to the original NewFiles addon, where if the file is a .html type file, it would be parsed for its <title></title> tags and then have the return outputed via <Field: FileTitle>.
So instead of "about.html", you get "About The Company and More" with <Field: FileTitle>.

Hope this helps. The addon is only limited by your imagination.
Last edited by faithless on Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:23 am

faithless wrote:Using <If: Sub: isNewDirectory> in <PerlCode></PerlCode>'s, you could even create a Explorer-like listing.
Hmm, faithless... I would not recommend using isNewDirectory within PerlCode-tags, but instead *outside* of them... ;-)

And while I am at it, the isNewDirectory is just one isNewXXX sub that can be usefull when working with this addon, but if anyone has the need for another (lets say isNewFileType for example) the isNewDirectory is very easy to duplicate if you know a little Perl. If you don´t, just give a shout and I am sure faithless or me can give you a hand...

Please note that the sort order is important when dealing with isNewXXX, sorting by XXX as the first field is somewhat mandatory in order to get an output that you excpect. (Example, using isNewDirectory in your style you should sort the files by directory in the profile setting)
Parahead

Postby faithless » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:30 pm

Parahead wrote:
faithless wrote:Using <If: Sub: isNewDirectory> in <PerlCode></PerlCode>'s, you could even create a Explorer-like listing.
Hmm, faithless... I would not recommend using isNewDirectory within PerlCode-tags, but instead *outside* of them... ;-)

Oops. I didn't realised I've typed it wrong. :oops:
I meant to say "in News Styles".

meh. Sorry. :?
faithless

Postby Parahead » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:29 am

faithless wrote:Oops. I didn't realised I've typed it wrong. :oops:
:lol: It´s OK, I didn´t think you wrote that on purpose...

Question; instead of having a bunch of isNewXXX sub's, couldn´t we implement something like the one below instead?
Code: Select all
<If: Sub: isNewValue: FieldName>
Having the isNewValue-sub doing the test on that FieldName in a more general approach. This would be a far more flexible approach and would make any new field anyone would like to test on work directly...

Hmmm... Maybe a new addon, since it would require a bunch of new styletags (If/If Else/Sub) and should work for both Normal and NewFiles-profiles? This is just an idea I got while writing the first line in this post, so I havn´t thought *that* much about it, OK... Comments?
Parahead

Purpose or idea for this addon?

Postby willy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:17 am

Is this perhaps the addon we need to make a profile showing e.g. the last comments in iSay, as I asked for here? Perhaps somebody would make an example..?
willy

Re: Purpose or idea for this addon?

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:42 am

willy wrote:Is this perhaps the addon we need to make a profile showing e.g. the last comments in iSay, as I asked for here? Perhaps somebody would make an example..?

Er. What has this got to do with New Files Advanced?
faithless

Postby faithless » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:47 am

Parahead wrote:
faithless wrote:Oops. I didn't realised I've typed it wrong. :oops:
:lol: It´s OK, I didn´t think you wrote that on purpose...

Question; instead of having a bunch of isNewXXX sub's, couldn´t we implement something like the one below instead?
Code: Select all
<If: Sub: isNewValue: FieldName>
Having the isNewValue-sub doing the test on that FieldName in a more general approach. This would be a far more flexible approach and would make any new field anyone would like to test on work directly...

Hmmm... Maybe a new addon, since it would require a bunch of new styletags (If/If Else/Sub) and should work for both Normal and NewFiles-profiles? This is just an idea I got while writing the first line in this post, so I havn´t thought *that* much about it, OK... Comments?

It's not really very very useful IMHO because it's usually for specific uses only. But you could try making one and see the response. I don't see it being very difficult to create since all the isNew Subs are all basically almost identical.
faithless

Postby Parahead » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:36 am

faithless wrote:It's not really very very useful IMHO because it's usually for specific uses only. But you could try making one and see the response. I don't see it being very difficult to create since all the isNew Subs are all basically almost identical.
Yeah, not *that* usefull, but like you say yourself, all the isNew Subs ar almost identical, so why have a bunch of them doing almost the same thing when one can make it more dynamic, that´s all... I´ll see if I get the time to play around with this, not on top of my prioritylist...
Parahead

Postby tony2003 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:51 am

Thanks Parahead and faithless for taking time out to explain and expand on the uses of this Addon - very much appreciated.
I have limited time at the moment, however I am trying some of your suggestions.
It is an extremely useful addon
As faithless says
The addon is only limited by your imagination.

Thanks again - another example of good quality help on this forum.
By the way why don't you 'cut and paste' some of the information above into the ReadMe txt. which comes with the Addon zip file - many would the added info very useful I'm sure.
:)
tony2003

Postby faithless » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:35 pm

tony2003 wrote:Thanks Parahead and faithless for taking time out to explain and expand on the uses of this Addon - very much appreciated.
I have limited time at the moment, however I am trying some of your suggestions.
It is an extremely useful addon
As faithless says
The addon is only limited by your imagination.

Thanks again - another example of good quality help on this forum.
By the way why don't you 'cut and paste' some of the information above into the ReadMe txt. which comes with the Addon zip file - many would the added info very useful I'm sure.
:)

Actually, the readme is just there to help get newbie users off the ground.
But I'll keep your suggestion in mind, and make a better readme next time. :D
faithless

Next

Return to Addon Release and Support