New beta: 1.31.5 and growing stable...

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

New beta: 1.31.5 and growing stable...

Postby SrNupsen » Tue May 09, 2006 7:25 am

Here's a new beta. I have personally been using this for some time without any trouble at all, but as usual: Don't use it in a critical environment.

You find it via the "Download" menu -> "Beta releases"

CHANGELOG:

Version 1.31.5 [Build 50] (XX April 2006, by Parahead)

* Bugfix, the Main and Admin page (sub PrintFunctionList in crcore.pl) did not handle the old layout when there was only one item (or less) in a section.
* Bugfix, option 2 (eg. CTUS forum) for the DisplayLink setting for profiles didn't point to the forum, it is now.
* New option at the settingspage to choose where to print out the quickmenu; top/bottom/left/right.
* Added sub CRMenuBar to print out the quickmenu, placed some new hooks in the sub and removed the old hook CRHTMLFoot.
* Separated the quickmenu options from the main page options (now @MenuFunctions) to make it easier for addons to override the menu.
* Rearranged the options at the Adminstration page (and added some new sentances in the language file) to more logic sections as suggested by Dale Ray.
* Added param 'EarlyAddonLoad' in cruser.pl to make it possible to load addons before the CheckLogin sub is called. Of course it defaults to false!
* Added hook CreateSession in sub CreateSession to make it possible for login integration with other scripts (needs param EarlyAddonLoad to be set).
* The previously commented out hooks LoginPage_1, LoginPage_2 and LoginPage_3 is now usable if the 'EarlyAddonLoad' param is set.
* Added hook CRHTMLHead_CRLink and variable $corantolink in sub CRHTMLHead to make it possible to override the upper right Coranto link.
* Now possible to specify a valid path for the cookie in sub SetCookies, to be able to interact easier with other scripts.
* Modified the Site/Coranto link table at the head of every Coranto page so each TD is 50%.
* Updated the documentation for viewnews.cgi slightly.
* Updated the documentation for the News Categories addon with changes provided by Dale Ray.
* Updated the newsgen.pl script slightly to have less submission time between the test newsitems. (Dale Ray)
* Added dutch languagefile for Coranto and News Category addon (may need some minor tweeking)

So happy installing!!

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Gilbert » Tue May 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Great 8)

Just a quick note. You should update the homepage too ;)

Regards
Gilbert

Postby SrNupsen » Tue May 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Oops. Thanks! :oops:

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Wed May 10, 2006 7:02 pm

I have also added an update functionality from a Coranto 1.24 installation to a Coranto 1.31.5! Please read the documentation and do *NOT* try and upgrade your current live and working 1.24 installation to 1.31.5, I am sure the upgrade script do need improvements and we are still not having a stable 1.31.x release yet...

Any and all feedback on this is much welcome!
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Mon May 15, 2006 4:02 am

First comments on this release:

Used to upgrade a local install. Upgrade script worked fine.

I had to resave the settings for a Maginot static profile before it would find the template file when building news.

I hope to test this more soon.

Parahead, thanks for all of the hard work.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Guestreg and nsettings.cgi

Postby fontaija » Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 am

I've just installed 1.31.5 and all looks good except for the guestreg addon. I used this to allow peopel to signup, but now it's now working. Looks like the admin_path at a minimum is missing from the file and the archive.tmpl file cannot be found in the templates folder.

If I set this manually, it works until I do something and then nsettings.cgi is rewritten and the correction gets removed. Can you add a section to allow for this to be set?
fontaija

Postby SuperCarla » Tue May 30, 2006 10:36 pm

how far back will the upgrade script work in the end?

I'm maintaining something like 12-14 installations in various versions - oldest being v. 1.21.5

some installations serve simple purposes and wil probably stay as is, but others are highly complicated systems wich I'd probably want to update, and I'd surely hate having to do it manually...

tia
/tina
SuperCarla

Postby SuperCarla » Tue May 30, 2006 10:41 pm

oh - one more qustion :-)

does this:
* Added hook CreateSession in sub CreateSession to make it possible for login integration with other scripts (needs param EarlyAddonLoad to be set).

- mean that it will be possible to authenticate user from an external database?
mysql?

/tina - jumping up and down in anticipation :-)
oh - and now diving into the beta download section...
SuperCarla

internal server error

Postby SuperCarla » Wed May 31, 2006 8:18 pm

:-( I can't install

I get a 500 internal server error

the error log says: Premature end of script headers

what to do or try?

tia
tina
SuperCarla

Postby Dale Ray » Wed May 31, 2006 8:45 pm

SuperCarla,

Regarding your install problem see this:

Troubleshooting Server Errors

for some useful information.

My experience is that the 500 error usually is from not uploading the files in ASCII, or a problem with the end-of-line characters (as described by ParaHead in the above mentioned docs).

Don't use AUTO in your ftp program, manually select to upload the files ending in .pl or .cgi in ASCII.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Zed » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:23 am

SuperCarla wrote:oh - one more qustion :-)

does this:

mysql?

/tina - jumping up and down in anticipation :-)
oh - and now diving into the beta download section...

i am wondering this also. i know phpbb integration was tossed around a while back, but does that mean it could happen with this release? just hoping.
Last edited by Zed on Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed

Postby SuperCarla » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Dale Ray wrote:Regarding your install problem see this:

Troubleshooting Server Errors

for some useful information.

been there, done that - still no luck, same song

I've checked, changed, compaired - linebreaks, permissions, paths, virtualhost files and .htaccess files

I'm stumped :roll:

it's on two different servers now, both running several other coranto installations

both servers running some recent, and well maintained version of Debian

I've even had an earlier beta up running on one of them not so long ago - a v. 1.30.8 it seems from my download folder
can't find that install right know and assume it's deleted

I do remember that it installed and ran as nice and easy as coranto usually allways does

I'm wondering:

has the required perl version changed, and if so, how do I, with ssh preferably, figure out what version "my" servers are running?

any other ideas out there?

tia
tina

btw - is this the right forum to ask these questions, or should I go elsewhere?
SuperCarla

Re: Guestreg and nsettings.cgi

Postby Parahead » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:18 pm

fontaija wrote:I've just installed 1.31.5 and all looks good except for the guestreg addon. I used this to allow peopel to signup, but now it's now working. Looks like the admin_path at a minimum is missing from the file and the archive.tmpl file cannot be found in the templates folder.
The addon needs to be updated to use the new path variables available in Coranto 1.31.x, you can find examples of how to to this here and about 5 posts down here.

SuperCarla wrote:how far back will the upgrade script work in the end?

I'm maintaining something like 12-14 installations in various versions - oldest being v. 1.21.5
In Coranto 1.31.x a new subfolder structure was introduced. What the upgrade script does is move files (addons, templates and so on) from the old location to the correct new subfolder. I see no reason why this shouldn't work for as old versions as Coranto beta 4 (the last version that Elvii released). Any testimonials with positive or negative info on upgrades (on a test environment) is of course appreciated.

SuperCarla wrote:does this:

mysql?
To answer this and Zed's follow up question; yes it mean it will be *possible* to autenticate users from an external database (including phpbb integration) but it will not happen automatically just by installing Coranto 1.31.x, "someone" needs to create an addon that does the actual integration. And to answer any potential follow up questions: the integration will not be included into the core and this "someone" is not me.

SuperCarla wrote:I'm wondering:

has the required perl version changed, and if so, how do I, with ssh preferably, figure out what version "my" servers are running?
No, there has not been a change of required Perl version (BTW: you check which
version you have by issuing the command "perl -version"). A "premature end of script headers" do indicate BIN upload, wrong Perl path or chmod settings problems just as Dale Ray states, so please re-check what you have done already.

SuperCarla wrote:btw - is this the right forum to ask these questions, or should I go elsewhere?
If you mean if there is some other Coranto forum than here at CTUS, the answer is no. If you mean talking about installtion problems in the release thread, I would say there is... These relase threads tend to (well, used to anyway) be rather long anyway, without adding ASCII/chmod/path problems to the equation... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby goyo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:03 am

I just want to say a huge THANKS for all the developers for this new beta version.

I've upgraded a very heavily customized old coranto with around 20 old add-ons and it runs without any problem! (Now I can even delete the cronjob which restores nsettings every 10 minutes :D )

Thanks, thanks, thanks! :)
goyo

Postby Feathers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:00 pm

goyo wrote:I just want to say a huge THANKS for all the developers for this new beta version.

I've upgraded a very heavily customized old coranto with around 20 old add-ons and it runs without any problem! (Now I can even delete the cronjob which restores nsettings every 10 minutes :D )

Thanks, thanks, thanks! :)
Of course, you did read all the warnings about not using this on a live site didn't you...
Mike
(Maintaining the vB3Comments addon)
Feathers

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older