Coranto 1.31.2 BETA

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby muttly » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:43 pm

perlman said;
If you are upgrading Coranto, you should do something about the stylesheet of the admin also. At least change the colors!

I took some minutes to change the documentation stylesheet. Just a suggestion. These are just changes, not improvements.

I'm with you on the color scheme. Elvii might have been an insightful coder, but his color palette choices are questionable. My first addons are always Chameleon and facelift so I don't have too deal with the default interface

I'm actually reworking the interface to be different colors and CSS based when possible so end users have more control over look & feel. In the process, I've made some minor changes to the structure to accommodate my work. There are some questions as to how to account for the CSS so that addons can add new elements. In the interest of keep the work sync'ed up and with an eye toward an orderly evolution, I've sent an emails to the parties most likely to be impacted about what I'm up to, but was planning on more feedback from them before I turned it loose on the unsuspecting public.

One thing I haven't done yet is reformat the documentation styles. I have no idea how badly your palette will clash with my work to-date.

For all the work I'm doing on the standard interface, I really prefer facelift and it doesn't work with 1.3x. If you can get permission and have the skills to upgrade it's functionality to sync with the new version, I would see it a big contribution...

I can think of a couple other new and useful addons you could write too. Like a way to import/export Profiles and Multisubmit NewsField collections from one installation to another or an addon that will preview input thru a selected style/template

parahead said:
muttly, since I know for a fact that you have Coranto 1.31.2 up and running it would be good if you could give feedback about how you solved your issue.

Since this is a beta release you don't really do Coranto a favour by having an open issue hanging like this, we either need to apply any patch you might have done to solve the problem permanently or (as I suggest) disregard this issue as a server setup/user handling error.

The beta copy I do have running is on a linux box at a public ISP. I never got 1.3.2 running locally, but believe the problem to be related to the way my server config alias' the cgi-bin. I haven't bothered chasing down the specifics because I am about to install OSX 10.4 and do a fresh install of everything.

I have fixed some of issues mentioned in the PM I initially sent Sr Nupsen, but I have also generated a few new ones.

Here's a few of them...

* Is there a compelling reason to have the style sheet embedded within the cgi rather than referencing a freestanding external file? I think it would be easier for everyone to maintain and modify their style sheets if it were formated and commented.

* There are a couple places where I can't tell where an autogenerated table is originating from. (I think this was in your the XMS addon)

* the autogenerated page bottom navigation is currently output in a format that appends a pipe after each link. The links are compiled from a couple of different sources. I think this would be better if it were redone as an inline list, then assorted CSS styles like those listed here could be easily applied

* It seems to me that the Main index should be displayed like this rather than it's current line up. I don't know if there are structural reasons for the current line up or if anyone besides me even sees this sort of thing as important enough to bother with.

* I'm wondering if it is structurally possible for the Modify News table to be swapped out with an addon. Then we could offer a scrollable alternative something like these

http://www.imaputz.com/cssStuff/bigFourVersion.html
http://www.imaputz.com/cssStuff/bulletVersion.html

* I'm wondering if there is any value in adding these Textarea Tools as an option in the CutomFields addon (especially in light of the new GEA addon)

Since you have mentioned being quite busy I haven't directly solicited any help in stomping my self-generated bugs. Assuming that my work will be judged worthy of inclusion and folded into the next iteration, do you (the core coders) want to splice in my formatting changes or should I send you my adjusted files after the new issues are resolved?

Hopefully over the weekend I will get my current version and notes organized and send out a more complete list my recent thoughts.
muttly

Postby Jahandar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:14 am

muttly wrote:...(especially in light of the new GEA addon)...

By the way, I have tested and can confirm that GEA v1.2 works properly with Coranto beta v1.31.2.
Generic Editor Adaptor (GEA) - Use virtually any WYSIWYG HTML Editor in Coranto
cra_RTE - WYSIWYG HTML Editor for Coranto posts
HowTo: Fix Reply Links when using ShadowMail and Private Messenger together
Jahandar

Postby Parahead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:34 am

muttly wrote:I'm actually reworking the interface to be different colors and CSS based when possible so end users have more control over look & feel. In the process, I've made some minor changes to the structure to accommodate my work. There are some questions as to how to account for the CSS so that addons can add new elements. In the interest of keep the work sync'ed up and with an eye toward an orderly evolution, I've sent an emails to the parties most likely to be impacted about what I'm up to, but was planning on more feedback from them before I turned it loose on the unsuspecting public.
As you know yourself, the thing is not just to make updates to the core to have new look and feel, this needs to be done so addons still work. Some addons present their own html-code which makes an upgrade of the layout quite hard to do. I will find time to look at the suggestions you sent, but there are issues... Personally I think that the interface issue is so large that it should have a thread of its own, so I have started up this interface thread and we can take it from there, OK? Maybe you can provide a couple of screenshots in that thread to show the changes?

muttly wrote:I can think of a couple other new and useful addons you could write too. Like a way to import/export Profiles and Multisubmit NewsField collections from one installation to another or an addon that will preview input thru a selected style/template
Funny you should mention those two things, the first one I have allready an embryo of an addon doing just that, dicussed in this thread. The preview thing would be really good as well, the best would be if the preview addon was updated.

muttly wrote:The beta copy I do have running is on a linux box at a public ISP. I never got 1.3.2 running locally, but believe the problem to be related to the way my server config alias' the cgi-bin. I haven't bothered chasing down the specifics because I am about to install OSX 10.4 and do a fresh install of everything.
OK, I see... Please give feedback once you have something for us, OK?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby perlman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:10 pm

I've been testing the beta with addons now.
Haven't had time to try out all of them, but I will make a list of all the most used addons, if they are compatible, and maybe what to do to get the compatible.
I am not sure if I have right to change the addons, I doubt it, since this seem to be a Coranto thing, not being able to change things unless you ask the unaccessible owner.
To me it seems that most of the addons might work with the beta, you just have to correct some paths.

I'll do more testing tomorrow.
perlman

Postby Parahead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:13 pm

perlman wrote:I've been testing the beta with addons now.
Haven't had time to try out all of them, but I will make a list of all the most used addons, if they are compatible, and maybe what to do to get the compatible.
That is great! :-) I am not entirly sure what the best way is to report and maintain a such list of addons that are compatible with 1.31.2 and which needs to be updated in some way or another. I don't know if you have some suggestion? Maybe a simple table with a column stating status (not tested/tested and OK/tested and link to thread with fix) or somthing like that?

perlman wrote:I am not sure if I have right to change the addons, I doubt it, since this seem to be a Coranto thing, not being able to change things unless you ask the unaccessible owner.
Come on now perlman, it is nothing strange with having a licence to a program? Some people seem to try and get this Open Source thing a little *too* far... Personally I have coded alot of addons and I welcome updates to them, but I whish to maintain control of the development, not to get branched versions and if there is a despute on how to do things, the author has the final say, simple as that! I am also currently "nursing" about 10 addons where there was another original author, but they did not whish to keep maintaining them for one reason or another and I have never had problems with getting a response when contacting an addon author with suggestion about updates, so if you have some complaint lets be more specific instead of that unspecified "a Coranto thing"... I have said it before and I say it again, that type of sweeping general negative remark really isn't constructive... Sorry about this ranting, but I do feel we must be able to talk to each other in a constructive way instead of giving those "hints"... Fair? :D

perlman wrote:To me it seems that most of the addons might work with the beta, you just have to correct some paths.
I agree, update the needed addons to use the new XXX_path variables should be a fairly simply in most cases. And to get clear on this, I have not said it needed much coding work, just that the testing needs to be done to get an overiew of which addons work and which doesn't and *that* is something people with less coding experience could help out with. Just like updating the documentation. I am just slightly fed up with many people having opinions about what should be done and in what way, but the same people rearly actually does any constructive work themself. *Oups* Sorry, this is totaly wrong of me, I should not tell *you* this, since your are taking an active role which I am very glad for, so Thank You! :P
Parahead

Postby web » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Muttly

that's how is configured my Apache's Virtulhost

Code: Select all
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.3:80>
ServerAdmin admin@yahoo.com
DocumentRoot C:/BigApache/Apache/localhost1
ServerName localhost1
ErrorLog C:/BigApache/Apache/logs/error_log
TransferLog C:/BigApache/Apache/logs/access_log
</VirtualHost>

and to access site i'm going to http://127.0.0.3 but not to localhost1 as it doesn't respond to server name localhost1

Anyway your problem is in Apache not Coranto
on other hand i see

Code: Select all
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

which means for me that path to perl is wrong.. test 'em
web

Postby Esstee » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:26 pm

Forgive my ignorance on this but I cannot find the list of changes from 1.24 in this release, where is it or what file is it in exactly?
I went deeper into the belly of Coranto and look! I found maginot.
Esstee

A question on paths

Postby Jahandar » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:33 pm

In cases where addons have their own data folders (like CRLocalize for ShadowMail, searchnews_log for Search News, and multipart_icons for MultiPart), in the new core will it be proper to have these folders in the Addons folder or in the Data folder?
Jahandar

Re: A question on paths

Postby Parahead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Esstee wrote:Forgive my ignorance on this but I cannot find the list of changes from 1.24 in this release, where is it or what file is it in exactly?
And what options do you get in the left menu if you open up the index.html file in the documentation folder? I thought I was making things easier by collecting everything under the documentation folder, but maybe I was wrong?

Jahandar wrote:In cases where addons have their own data folders (like CRLocalize for ShadowMail, searchnews_log for Search News, and multipart_icons for MultiPart), in the new core will it be proper to have these folders in the Addons folder or in the Data folder?
I would say that it is addon specific, but the data folder is not a bad place, since that can be "hidden" from being accessed from a browser (you might want to be able to do that for logs for example). You must have in mind that thing though (being able to place the data folder out of reach from a web browser) and thus not place files that needs to be accessed by a browser directly in that folder (eg. a subfolder). Regardless, the multipart_icons folder (and the EasyEdit folder!) should be located outside the cgi-bin folder anyway, images don't really belong in cgi-bin. Just my $.02... ;-)

[EDIT]Maybe guidelines for this is something that should be included in the Addon Creation Guide.[/EDIT]
Parahead

Postby muttly » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:53 pm

Parahead wrote:I thought I was making things easier by collecting everything under the documentation folder, but maybe I was wrong?

It is easier, but it's also not quite explicit enough. I found the docs folder, but not at first because I went looking for it via the Help link on within the interface Adminstration index. Since I've always used facelift, I had assumed that the Help link was also part of the standard interface as well.

(working on other comments & such, hopefully posting tomorrow)
muttly

Postby Parahead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:25 pm

muttly wrote:
Parahead wrote:I thought I was making things easier by collecting everything under the documentation folder, but maybe I was wrong?

It is easier, but it's also not quite explicit enough. I found the docs folder, but not at first because I went looking for it via the Help link on within the interface Adminstration index. Since I've always used facelift, I had assumed that the Help link was also part of the standard interface as well.
And I never use Facelift in my setups. Taking a deeper look at those links there are quite many broken ones...
Parahead

Postby Jahandar » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Parahead wrote:[EDIT]Maybe guidelines for this is something that should be included in the Addon Creation Guide.[/EDIT]

It wouldn't hurt, but I think as we start seeing the actual implementation and there are more compliant addons for people to look at and use as examples to follow, it may become a nonissue. But for the first addons, decisions like this have to be made.

I agree on folders like multipart_images. Perhaps with the new core should set a guideline for all addons to use a designated addon resources folder outside cgi-bin where all addons should store their folders of resources.
Jahandar

Postby perlman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:33 am

Parahead wrote:That is great! :-) I am not entirly sure what the best way is to report and maintain a such list of addons that are compatible with 1.31.2 and which needs to be updated in some way or another. I don't know if you have some suggestion? Maybe a simple table with a column stating status (not tested/tested and OK/tested and link to thread with fix) or somthing like that?

Yes, I was thinking of something like a table with tested/not tested, and things like that. Just a simple and easy way to display which addons that work and don't work.

Parahead wrote:Come on now perlman, it is nothing strange with having a licence to a program? Some people seem to try and get this Open Source thing a little *too* far... Personally I have coded alot of addons and I welcome updates to them, but I whish to maintain control of the development, not to get branched versions and if there is a despute on how to do things, the author has the final say, simple as that! I am also currently "nursing" about 10 addons where there was another original author, but they did not whish to keep maintaining them for one reason or another and I have never had problems with getting a response when contacting an addon author with suggestion about updates, so if you have some complaint lets be more specific instead of that unspecified "a Coranto thing"... I have said it before and I say it again, that type of sweeping general negative remark really isn't constructive... Sorry about this ranting, but I do feel we must be able to talk to each other in a constructive way instead of giving those "hints"... Fair? :D

I deleted and rewrote that line about four times before submitting my post.
I kinda knew it would make you respond in that way. It wasn't meant badly. For a moment or two I got kind of irritated about the situation and expressed it in a bad way. And I apologies.
You wont get more comments like that from me anymore.

Parahead wrote:I agree, update the needed addons to use the new XXX_path variables should be a fairly simply in most cases. And to get clear on this, I have not said it needed much coding work, just that the testing needs to be done to get an overiew of which addons work and which doesn't and *that* is something people with less coding experience could help out with. Just like updating the documentation. I am just slightly fed up with many people having opinions about what should be done and in what way, but the same people rearly actually does any constructive work themself. *Oups* Sorry, this is totaly wrong of me, I should not tell *you* this, since your are taking an active role which I am very glad for, so Thank You! :P

No problem for the contributing. It's interesting to learn more about Coranto!
And I haven't said much about Coranto before I volunteered. Didn't think I had the right to complain and demand things before I did something myself.
But if everyone thought like that you would end up with a dead community.

Back to the topic: Should I just test all addons, list them like mentioned, then ask all addon owners of permission to edit their addons?
I'm not really sure what to do.

And thank YOU for doing such a great job with Coranto. I see how often you are online here and how much you do/have done for the community, so on behalf of...me: Thank you, Parahead!
perlman

Postby Parahead » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:21 pm

perlman wrote:I deleted and rewrote that line about four times before submitting my post.
I kinda knew it would make you respond in that way. It wasn't meant badly. For a moment or two I got kind of irritated about the situation and expressed it in a bad way. And I apologies.
You wont get more comments like that from me anymore.
No problem perlman, I understand. :-) And if you have some problems getting in contact with an addon author we have to deal with it when the time comes...

perlman wrote:Back to the topic: Should I just test all addons, list them like mentioned, then ask all addon owners of permission to edit their addons?
I'm not really sure what to do.
I would suggest start with the biggest ones, list them in a table like we discussed above and we see how many that actually are affected, shouldn't really be *that* many. If you do find out how to make an addon compatible, submit the codechange to the original author and let him/her release a new version.

perlman wrote:And thank YOU for doing such a great job with Coranto. I see how often you are online here and how much you do/have done for the community, so on behalf of...me: Thank you, Parahead!
Thank you for those words! You are welcome... I am just continuing on the path that all the other Coranto coders before me have walked.
Parahead

Postby perlman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:06 pm

Okey, I've created a test list. I haven't tested all of them, but some.
And the links are just to this thread.

Used the styles from my suggestion for new admin colors. :wink:

http://www.photoflood.net/coranto/addonlist.html

Something like that?
perlman

Next

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older