Coranto 1.31.2 BETA

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Parahead » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:34 pm

bozoka45 wrote:Just wanted to reply to your last post, but when I said "I feel this project has become Parahead's alone," I meant that we need more programmers and shouldn't put the whole burden on you, although it's obvious that a good part of it is. Having one programmer is a good (and understandable) reason this project hasn't moved along in a long time.
Yes, I understand that you didn't ment anything bad towards me with that statement and my intention was not really to direct my reply towards you but giving a general view of how I see things and that I do agree with you. However, when I read through my own reply now I see that it could be intepretated as critisism towards you which wasn't the intention, so I am sorry for that.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby plushpuffin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:31 pm

I'm not sure I have a place in saying this, seeing as how I've done basically nothing since I wrote Maginot and Anne Rice, but...

I think the only thing really keeping Coranto alive right now is a sense of community and obligation. The prevoius posters are correct, in that it takes longer for minor releases of Coranto to go through beta than it does for "competing" products to go from 1.0 to 2.0. This is in no way a slight to Parahead. Other projects simply have more programmers with more free time.

When I first started writing addons for NewsPro 3.7.x, it was one of the only viable, free CMS scripts out there. PHP was just gaining steam, and most free PHP scripts were either small hacks or really horribly written piles of garbage. NewsPro stood out with its clean (if slightly garish) interface, its support for addons, and the fairly large and active community forums. The truth is, I have never had a use for NewsPro. I've never used it except to construct a website to showcase my NewsPro addons. I was in it for the fun.

Coranto came about due to various shortcomings in NewsPro. I only managed to write and refine 3 addons for Coranto before my life became too busy for idle scripting. I check back on the forums once every month or two, but I don't feel like a part of a community anymore. I've missed most of the drama, hearing much of it secondhand or finding a ten-page thread weeks after the fact.

I think much of the drama has to due with the realization that Coranto is simply no longer ahead of the pack. Coranto is the Amiga of the CMS world. Once a strong contender, it is in a vicious cycle of decreasing usage and a slowly withering community, leading to a lack of developers familiar with the script, leading back to greater shrinkage.

While I fully support Parahead's and msbzdragn's efforts to get Coranto 1.3.x out the door, just to spite those who have actively sabotaged the project, I'm not sure that development should continue much past that point. The issue of intellectual property has always been a spectre discouraging future developers, and the lack of a vigorous, redundant, and trusted inner circle of developers does not bode well for the future of this script.

:cry:
I LIKE PIE
plushpuffin

Postby Broomsy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Can you recommend a PHP cms like coranto where you can include the news files?
Broomsy

Postby Parahead » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:17 am

broomsy wrote:Can you recommend a PHP cms like coranto where you can include the news files?
Is this the only reaction to plushpuffins concern about the future of Coranto? If yes, then we should unplug the patient...
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:38 am

Parahead wrote:Is this the only reaction to plushpuffins concern about the future of Coranto? If yes, then we should unplug the patient...

Hm no, it's not. But I tend to agree with her. As I've said again and again, nothing much is happening to Coranto for several reasons:

1. The script is very stable
2. We have no coders
3. We have no admin with enough free time to kick it into gear again.

Parahead knows pretty well where he wants Coranto to go code-wise, so all we need is a fellow coder to step up for the challenge. We also need a webmaster.

So (again): Anybody up for it?

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Broomsy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:03 pm

Parahead wrote:
broomsy wrote:Can you recommend a PHP cms like coranto where you can include the news files?
Is this the only reaction to plushpuffins concern about the future of Coranto? If yes, then we should unplug the patient...

I was basically trying to say I am unaware of any php cms which is as versatile as Coranto. If Coranto went it would still cripple a lot of people.

What does webmaster involve?
Broomsy

Postby bozoka45 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:38 pm

Again, I offer my services and my light knowledge of Perl. I could probably do some of the lower level coding, but that's about it.
bozoka45

Postby braindonor » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:35 pm

I guess there has been a lot going on these last couple of months. There have been a lot of conflicts in the coranto comunity the last year or two.

Not only did people leave but there have been quite a lot of People that say they want to be involved but don't actually get started. I've made that mistake myself too.

And I still want to be involved but it would really be nice to have an active webmaster who follows up on these promises, maybe keeps his(her?) eyes on a to-do-list and contacts people that don't deliver what they offer to do. Someone that has the time to spend and the will to oversee such a complex project as maintaing a cms community.

What I would like in a webmaster is someone who can team up the people who are willing to help, bring them into contact with each other and keeps in touch every week - or two weeks to check in on the progress that is made.

I really like Coranto and would be quite sad if it disappeared, it helped me change our company website (www.cnv.nl) and increase the visitor rate from 80.000 a year to 80.000 a month. And it's still increasing every day.

I do agree with Plushpuffins (and Krikos) comments that there are other more advanced systems out there that are capable of much more than coranto. Eg. the incredible typo3 (www.typo3.org) This however does not really matter. It's no competition for Coranto because they are used for different websites. I use both systems in my free-lance career. Depending the website a company/person wants I advice them to use either coranto or typo3.

One of the first things this new webmaster (or call it an editor in chief or something like that) needs (in my opinion) to do is think of a proper communication stategy - and yes I'm willing to help ;-) - We need to target a specific audience. Because reading the forum and the website it seems like you can do anything with coranto. But is that something you would want to do? Sometimes you're just better off with another system alltogether. Isn't it a better idea to concentrate on the things that Coranto does best? And promote it that way?

A lot of text, and I hope I'm making sense... But please parahead, keep up the good work.
Walking through the city, looking o so pretty...
braindonor

Privacy Settings

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:01 am

When doing an install of 1.32.2 the privacy settings are not saved after the initial setup.

I set:

Public to yes
Version Check Image? to NO
Urgent Notification? to NO

The version check and Urgent Notification settings were set to YES ahen I checked after the first login.

I did the install twice and had the same problem each time.

Also, the default folder for documentation files is docs. The download zip file was created with the folder named documentation. It gives an error when installing which some users may not understand.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Re: Privacy Settings

Postby Parahead » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 pm

Dale Ray wrote:Public to yes

The version check and Urgent Notification settings were set to YES ahen I checked after the first login.
Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it. As a sidenote I have sent 1.31.3 to SrNupsen and msbzdragn for release.

Dale Ray wrote:Also, the default folder for documentation files is docs. The download zip file was created with the folder named documentation. It gives an error when installing which some users may not understand.
Regarding the docs/documentation folders this is actually two different folders in two different levels of the paths (/documentation vs. /cgi-bin/docs). The documentation folder contains the documentation surrounding Coranto and the installation, while the docs folder is ment for addons to place stand alone documentation in, using the new AddonDoc2 feature. The docs folder should also be empty to begin with. Does this explain the problem or would it still produce an error? If so, what is the errormessage?
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 am

Dale Ray wrote:Also, the default folder for documentation files is docs. The download zip file was created with the folder named documentation. It gives an error when installing which some users may not understand.

Parahead wrote:Regarding the docs/documentation folders this is actually two different folders in two different levels of the paths (/documentation vs. /cgi-bin/docs). The documentation folder contains the documentation surrounding Coranto and the installation, while the docs folder is meant for addons to place stand alone documentation in, using the new AddonDoc2 feature. The docs folder should also be empty to begin with. Does this explain the problem or would it still produce an error? If so, what is the errormessage?

I just unzipped the Coranto 1.3.2 archive again to be sure of the behavior. There is no docs folder inside the cgi-bin folder when the archive is unzipped. When you setup Coranto and use the default paths Coranto tells you that it can't find the docs folder.

For simplicity of installation I would recommend that the empty folder be part of the archive. So a users can just copy the folders as created from the archive to their server and use the defaults.

Looking forward to the new beta. Thanks for your work.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Dale Ray wrote:I just unzipped the Coranto 1.3.2 archive again to be sure of the behavior. There is no docs folder inside the cgi-bin folder when the archive is unzipped. When you setup Coranto and use the default paths Coranto tells you that it can't find the docs folder.

For simplicity of installation I would recommend that the empty folder be part of the archive. So a users can just copy the folders as created from the archive to their server and use the defaults.
Yes, this was kind of the intention all along. However, I lernt a new thing today, if you add a folder into a zip-archive with an empty sub folder using WinZip, that empty folder is not added to the zip-archive. I didn't notice this when creating the 1.31.2 distribution which is the reason it isn't included. As a sidenote this applies for the 1.31.3 package I sent to SrNupsen and dragn as well so I will see if I can take a look at the other problem you reported and make a new release soon which fixes both issues.
Parahead

Coranto vs PHP

Postby Wpeckham » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:40 pm

I have a nice little server without MySQL, without PHP, and without Apache. I can run Xitami and Perl supporting Coranto with FAR less overhead and using FAR less disk space than any PHP based solution. As long as there is any support or development for Coranto at all, I will continue to value and support it. Like Perl, and partly because it is Perl based, it makes difficult things easy!

What can I do to help?
William Peckham
Wpeckham

Re: Coranto vs PHP

Postby Parahead » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:09 pm

wpeckham wrote:I have a nice little server without MySQL, without PHP, and without Apache. I can run Xitami and Perl supporting Coranto with FAR less overhead and using FAR less disk space than any PHP based solution. As long as there is any support or development for Coranto at all, I will continue to value and support it. Like Perl, and partly because it is Perl based, it makes difficult things easy!
I agree with your judgement and I think it is important to focus on the things Coranto is best on when promoting the script.

wpeckham wrote:What can I do to help?
I think you will find it difficult to get a working list of tasks to hand out to people from someone. If you see a thing needing attention, jump in. Post fixes, help people in the forum, create addons...
Parahead

Postby Parahead » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:02 pm

Dale Ray wrote:When doing an install of 1.32.2 the privacy settings are not saved after the initial setup.

I set:

Public to yes

I did the install twice and had the same problem each time.
Now when I have had some more time to check this out I can let you know that this was already fixed in the 1.31.3 distribution I have sent to SrNupsen. Actually you reported this problem late august 2005 in the very first page of this thread and it is the very first line in the changelog for 1.31.3... :-)

Dale Ray wrote:I just unzipped the Coranto 1.3.2 archive again to be sure of the behavior. There is no docs folder inside the cgi-bin folder when the archive is unzipped. When you setup Coranto and use the default paths Coranto tells you that it can't find the docs folder.
I took a deeper look at this problem as well and I can tell you that this folder *is* included in the zip-file for 1.31.2. Do you use WinZip? If so, which version? I am using version 10.0 and in that one you have a button at the top right that says "View Style". If you press that you get an Explorer look of the included folders/files and using that layout it is easy to spot the empty folder. Also, doing an "Extract" of the zip-archive creates the empty docs-folder. However, I did had some problem both locating and extracting the empty folder when I used WinZip 8.1 so I guess it can be the same for you?
Parahead

Previous

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older