1.25.1 Dev Topic

Archive of notes and cross input on Dev versions of Coranto (1.25.1 and Older)

Moderators: Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Tue May 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Have we now stagnated with this release? The problem was not being able to find the version number in certain files to update it, is that correct?
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Wed May 09, 2007 4:10 am

No, I'm still dropping by every day to see if anyone can answer my questions posed in:

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267

Namely, changing the version numbers in certain files, but other were mentioned, where no version number exists. Here's a part of my post from April 23:

So, I see in viewnews.cgi, and coranto.cgi, the version number should be changed, yes?

But I see no mention of it in the other files mentioned here.

Also, what will the upgrade instruction be, exactly? A lot of these files changed, so, aside from the news files and nsettings.cgi, it seems most everything needs updating, but I'm not sure.

We can't put out a 1.25.1 that's not stable, with incorrect version numbers throughout, and with no upgrade instructions...most all files were changed, links, etc...and no one has offered any approval assistance in that regard. I even emailed the entire Dev group for a hand with this.

I will continue to come by daily to see if anyone still has any interest.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Broomsy » Fri May 11, 2007 1:31 pm

I didnt receive any email.

Send me the package you have and I will sort it all out.
Broomsy

Postby Jackanape » Sat May 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Hey, Broomsy!

The package is currently on the SourceForge repository. I believe the only thing needing changing is the version numbers...I may just give it a go and release it, if no one comes up with a reason not to... :wink:

My concern with the upgrade instructions is that there were many files needing to be changed, even in small, links based ways...of course, I kept no record...in that case, would the upgrade instruction be to overwrite every file but nsettings and the news files?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Sun May 13, 2007 5:39 pm

I can only see the version set in coranto.cgi and viewnews.cgi. Other files refer to this, but as far as I can tell, its only those two files that set the variable. So, updating them should be ok.
The variable $crcgiBuild, on the other hand, has this version checking all over the place. Its in cradmin.pl, crcore.pl and crlib.pl. It kind of makes sense to have it.. but its annoying, and we should possibly try to find a better way to incorporate this checking.
Anyway, as we are not making a new build, just updating a mistake in the files, it should be fine just to change $crcgiVer to 1.25.1, in coranto.cgi and viewnews.cgi, and only include these for upload in the upgrade instructions. Please make a new version image to match. For some reason I can't figure out how to update the CVS at the moment.. but just get the files and make the package to ship out.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 pm

OK, that's something I can wrap my lizard brain around...

How about upgrade instructions? Almost every file has a link or some text that was changed within--I think only the config files remain unchanged. I'd love to include that info, but can anyone confirm that?
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Broomsy » Mon May 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Jackanape wrote:OK, that's something I can wrap my lizard brain around...

How about upgrade instructions? Almost every file has a link or some text that was changed within--I think only the config files remain unchanged. I'd love to include that info, but can anyone confirm that?

The upgrade from 1.25 to 1.25.1 should be the same as current except for changing the CSS in nsettings as this should have already been carried out by the user.

All version prior to 1.25 should have exactly the same upgrade instructions as current.

Just a version change in those 2 files is fine.

RELEASE RELEASE RELEASE.
Broomsy

Postby Lumberjack » Tue May 15, 2007 6:24 pm

I thought this release was just to correct the styles issue? Otherwise I've been blabbing on about something irrelevant. But my point still stands, you don't need to change the build number for this release, as the programming should be the same.. I stress should.
You should update the version number in coranto and viewnews as I previously discussed.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Wed May 16, 2007 8:38 pm

Yes, the styles issue was the main fix, but we still had issues with links pointing to Amphibianweb, gocoranto, and I think one gweilo lost in the mix...

Those are all fixed up now, so it's just a matter of assembling the upgrade instructions, and releasing...

It seems we're finally all on the same page, so I will attend to it probably Friday at the latest. :lol:
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Broomsy » Thu May 24, 2007 10:07 am

Do you need any further help on this?
Broomsy

Postby Jackanape » Mon May 28, 2007 2:55 pm

I don't think so, Broomsy, just more time! LOL

The last 8-10 weeks, I've been putting in 6 day weeks at my real job, so every time I think I can get something extraneous done, I find myself involved with the family, or trying to catch a few much needed winks!

This was my last 6 day week, presumably, so it's just a matter of finding a bit of time to update the version numbers and issue it as a release. I hope to be home early tonight, which should buy me a couple of hours.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Broomsy » Mon May 28, 2007 6:45 pm

I myself have been super busy. I really want to get a start on 2.0.

If you need any help give me a shout.
Broomsy

Postby Dale Ray » Thu May 31, 2007 10:48 pm

You may want to check out this topic for another possible bug fix.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:23 pm

1.25.1 is now up on SourceForge...naturally, while I updated the version number in the main files, I DID NOT update the BUILD number, so it seems that the upgrade script won't work for existing 1.25 users...however, that shouldn't be too much of a problem...

I hope. This is what happens when a melon-head like me gets involved in version release! LOL

I will also direct all download links to SourceForge.

I'm open to anything else we need to handle before moving forward.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Previous

Return to Coranto Development Archives -- 1.25.1 and Older