question on how coranto works

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

question on how coranto works

Postby Ereyes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:58 pm

Ok I read some of the documentation and found out that I can use profiles to tell coranto which style to use etc.

I created 2 profiles, 1 which I called simple ( in which I will use to include the content via SSI to my page existing pages.

The second I told it to use a style with a full tempate that I created, so it should out put a page that looks just like the rest of my site,

I'm clear up to here I think, the question is when I go to submit news I dont see how to tell it to use the simple style or the fullpage style which is the template:?: further more if I want to create 20 full pages do I need to creat a new profile for each of the pages? or I'm I not understanding how coranto works :oops:

I guess to make a long story short I want to use coranto one to incldue the the text field on to pages that I already have but from here on I dont want to create the pages then put the ssi code to where I want to text to show I just want to use the template I created and have coranto generate the complete page based on the template.

well thank you for your time in advance.
Ereyes

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:54 pm

You need to enable the Category addon. Then create two categories that you put your news into. Your profiles can include news from any category or categories you specify (and you can have two profiles including news from the same category BUT using different style/template for them).

Ask again if anything is unclear, and if you haven't allready done so: Check out this documentation as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Ereyes » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:25 am

Ok let me see if I got this right, I have to create a new style category for every page I create so if I have 20 pages I will need 20 different styles /templates even though they are all going to look pretty much the same?

I assume so because I created a style and published 2 different news items using the same style but I can only see one.

now even though I created a template coranto is never going to output and .shtml file, or html file even if it uses my template it will still be some.txt file? :roll: I hope its just me not understanding the system.

I would think that the system would take the subject for instance and if I specified the template file it would generate a file with the name of the subject with the extension .shtml or html

is there an add on to make it do this? cause I have not seen it.
Ereyes

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:53 am

Styles and templates can be used by multiple profiles.

Profiles are where any filtering and sorting of the items you include on your pages takes place, so you definitely need a profile for each set of criteria you use to separate your items.

The settings in each profile are applied to the database each time you build news. The profile settings are what determines which of the items from the database are included in the output.

If you have not you need to read:

These Topics

While they mainly talk about getting started you need to understand them to move forward.

Profile Documentation

Styles Documentation

Templates

Glossary of Terms

Don't get discouraged, because most of the items above are fairly short.

Coranto will do what you want it to.

Some addons to look at:

Post-Build File Renamer/Mover

Maginot Line Build 17
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Ereyes » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 am

Thanks for the links I had already read a lot of the documentation, I think that the "Post-Build File Rename/Mover" add on is going to do what I want, But I still don't understand or better yet whats bothering me is that I still have to create a profile for every page I'm going to built using coranto ( 50 pages 50 profiles ) even though all the pages are going to be the same with the exception of the main content which is the part that I want to use coranto to control.

What I want to achieve is pretty simple, to be able to manage or give some one access to pages for them to edit the content. which coranto will do with no problem.

but if I need to create a new page, now I have to go and create a new profile for it edit the profile tell it to use the template file I created and then go on write the news and pick the profile I just created from the pull down right :?:

this too me seem redone dent if I have a template that I want to use for all my pages, would it make sense for the program to allow me to choose or to use the subject field to create the name of the page and then when I submit the news it would create a page with what I ever I typed on the subject field like directions.shtml. It just doesn't make sense to me to have to basically create the same profile over and over again just with a different name.

I'm I right or excuse my idiocy but I'm just not getting it.

Well thanks for the advise :lol:
Ereyes

Postby Jackanape » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:33 am

For each instance of content, or news, you DO need a separate profile, yes.

However, you don't have to output each one via a style that crates the entire page...if only your main content is different on each page, why not just create the static pages using your template, and use SSI to include the content of each profile into the appropriate pages?

Since the content of each page is different, and presumably, created by a different user, you'll need to give each instance a separate profile, anyway.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Troubleshooting