Archiving Problems

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Archiving Problems

Postby AllyGator » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:52 am

I starting administrating a web site in 2005. January 2006 Coranto ran the build and all of our previous archived news links disappeared from: http://www.nexusatlas.com/archives/index.php

I had no idea how to fix the problem then and I still don't. I created an additional page for older news: http://www.nexusatlas.com/archives/archivednews.php

I could put all of the links on index.php but that file is over written each time Coranto rebuilds. I am using MONTHLY archiving. All other archive options are default. The newsdat.txt file was 18k the day before the problem happened again January 2008. I am using Version 1.24. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is there something I can change in the setup? I would love to have only one page for all archived news.

Please help, I have almost no programming experience - only a very basic understanding and ability. Thank you in advance for helping.

swampgrotto@yahoo.com
AllyGator

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:50 pm

I can't tell from your description if you noticed a problem with newsdat.txt...18k seems awfully small for such a dB. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Try reading this, and see if it helps:
http://www.corantodemo.net/wiki/index.p ... iving#toc5
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby AllyGator » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:18 pm

If there is any information I can provide to help debug this please let me know. I saw nothing wrong with newsdat.txt the day before the archive messed up. Yes it was a small file so I don't know why it does this. I found the timing to be suspicious since it was 2 years to the day since it did exactly the same thing.

The link you gave was interesting but not particularly helpful as this problem is not routine and I haven't changed any settings.

If it helps most of my settings are default:
Advanced Setting
Build News Automatically (submit) - yes
Build News Automatically (modify) - yes
Automatically Link URLS - yes
Archive HTML file extension - php
Items per modify News Page - 20

MoveIt! addon
Frequency of backup/transfer - 60480 (7 days)

Main profile - General Archiving Settings
Archive type - Monthly
News Style - default

Main Profile Settings
Filter by time - 7 days
Filter by number - blank
Skip days - blank
Skip items - blank
News Style - default
Sort Order - Default
AllyGator

Postby Jackanape » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Did you try restoring one of your newsbak backups? Naturally, back up your current one first, then you can try renaming your backups to newsdat.txt...I wonder if this isn't related to the 0 byte newsdat.txt issue?

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Is there a "0 byte newsdat.txt" issue? Or are you mixing it up with the "0 byte nsettings.cgi" issue?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

nsettings.cgi

Postby AllyGator » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:04 am

At the time the problem happened the newsdat.txt was 18k. I didn't know to look at nsettings.cgi but it is 20kb at the moment. The backups had not been made since April of last year! One of my administrators obviously disabled the backups so I've added MoveIt now and told them all to leave it alone or else. :x

I restored a copy of newsdat.txt I had downloaded months before, deleted the entries in it and started new articles from there. We lost a few days worth of news so that wasn't too bad.

The day before this happened one reporter tried to write a new article and got a xxx.pl error which I didn't record -- sorry about that now. That's when I found that newsdat.txt was not empty. I believe that Coranto tried to run a build and possibly all articles were past 7 days leaving nothing to be displayed on our main news page but the txt file was not 0 bytes. In the meantime I've asked our reporters not to let 7 days go past without reporting something.

As an aside is there some way to increase the max of 7 days before archiving?

Thank you very much for looking at this. I'll happily give a moderator access if they want to take a look themselves.
AllyGator

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:11 am

SrNupsen wrote:Is there a "0 byte newsdat.txt" issue? Or are you mixing it up with the "0 byte nsettings.cgi" issue?

Snarf!

Did I say that?

hmm...I guess I did...in my hasty reading of this post, my mind did tricks along the way.

Ally, did you just say you restored a backup of newsdat, and it worked?
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

newsdat.txt

Postby AllyGator » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:14 am

Yes I did copy an older copy of newsdat.txt when Coranto failed giving an error on some Perl module, the name of which I forgot to write down. I tried running builds after this failure but got the same Perl failure again.

I kept the "original" newsdat.txt and restored one from April 2007. When I went into Modify News, I had to delete a bunch of articles from that file making sure to leave 1 article. I then posted a new article and finally deleted the last April article. I don't know that I needed to keep 1 article in the file but I didn't want to take the chance of receiving another Perl error. I suspect that when Coranto archived news for January 2008 after 7 days and with no articles haven been written in those 7 days, that some code didn't like that. None of the files in cgi-bin have ever been modified.

Could restoring a backup have caused this problem? Why wouldn't the build work before I restored newsdat.txt? I don't know what caused the problem two years ago when I wasn't an admin for Coranto. Is there some way to get Coranto to remember all of the archived files? Anyway to edit its database?
AllyGator

Postby Jackanape » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Off the top of my head, I have no answer, however, I can tell you that Coranto uses a flat file database, meaning it's all stored in a text file, in this case, newsdat.txt. I would have to get my nose into the code to offer anything else up.

Anyone else have anything to offer?
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Troubleshooting