A tagging system for news posts in Coranto

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

A tagging system for news posts in Coranto

Postby AndyP » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 pm

I've long given some thought to the idea of having users be able to tag keywords to articles posted in Coranto, thus making it easier to search and find specific articles (the search engine in Coranto could then just search the tag field as opposed to the complete article, cutting down on the amount of work at the server end of things). Tagging is currently very popular amongst most high profile/high traffic websites and I find it useful on the sites that I visit. I'd be interested to be in on the development of this feature, at least as far as ideas go given that my programming skills are limited. Anyone with any thoughts, please add your opinions/help...
AndyP

Postby Smoniz » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:02 pm

That would definitely be useful on my site as well. If I knew perl well enough i'd create it, but don't know it that well yet :(
Smoniz

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:18 pm

It would have to be handled by an external script, as readers/users are not (and shout not be) able to enter data directly into the Coranto database.

One approach would be to store any tags entered in a database, along with the newsid, subject and anything else you would need from Coranto. Then allow searching of that database, which would keep Coranto out of it (and also, if MySQL were to be used, minimize server load).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby AndyP » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:13 am

Would the implementation of mysql create a need to use php, or does perl integrate with mysql ?
AndyP

Return to Addon Development and Requests