Event Calendar - what do you need?

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Event Calendar - what do you need?

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 pm

I currently use this solution to display an event calendar where the content is managed by Coranto. The original author of smcCal has granted me permission to publish revisions to his script under an open source license.

I already have made some mods to the script and have used it for my calendar at a site for a softball team. In addition Parahead contributed some code to display small calendars.

My first goal is to create a support site for the project and release the modifications that currently exist. My future goals include:

* Tighter integration with Coranto thru an addon that can manage the calendar's settings.
    * Support for recurring dates (every second Tuesday, weekly, monthly, etc.)
    * Better control over the formatting of the list of events that the script displays dynamically.
    * Easy use to create a calendar to access archived items.

There is no planned release date and no timetable. I would like to get suggestions for what users want and how they want to see it managed from Coranto.

Additional coders welcome.

Edited on 6/26/08 to remove dead links
Last edited by Dale Ray on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:27 pm

I am currently working to add a calendar to a friend's site, and am using your Event Calendar documentation. So far, so good, although I've been running into problems with his server, so I can't give you a final word, as to whether or not it needs anything new.

However, I note that in your instructions, you refer to the original version of smCal, but I also note that Parahead has made a modified version, and released it by permission of the original author, here:

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54013#54013

Which version should I be using? I would guess that Parahead's version is more Coranto-oriented, but I'm n ot sure.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Dale, I'm finally moving ahead with install and integration of the Calendar. I'm going to use Parahead's version, following my gut instinct.

I will be happy to beta test any features you want to integrate, and, in fact, would love to start helping you develop the repeated events right away. I don't want to look At redoing any work you've already done...how far, if at all, are you on any of this?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:19 pm

Working with Parahead's version of smcCal, I'm running into some issues with this:

Code: Select all
sub printSmallCalendar {

$colspanvar   = (7-$small_dayoffset+$wday)%7;

That clearly allows for the calendar to start on whichever day the user wants. I'm happy with Sunday, at this point, so I'm reverting this code to the standard:

sub printSmallCalendar {

$colspanvar   = $wday);

And editing the printed calendar to reflect the change. BUT, I'm curious as to WHERE I would make the changes to $small_dayoffset if I needed to...?

Any ideas?

Parahead?

Here's the complete code I'm referring to:

sub printSmallWeekDays
{   
   # *************************************************************** #
   print "<tr class=\"smcSmallCell\" bgcolor=\"${small_cellcolor}\" align=\"center\">\n",    
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(0+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n",
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(1+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n",
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(2+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n",
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(3+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n",
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(4+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n",
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(5+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n",      
      "<th width=${colwidth}>$small_weekdays[(6+$small_dayoffset)%7]</th>\n", 
      "</tr>\n";
}

# *********************************************************************** #
# *  Print the main calendar data.               * #
# *********************************************************************** #
sub printSmallCalendar {

$colspanvar   = (6-$small_dayoffset+$wday)%7;
   $begindates   = 0;
   $daynumber   = 0;

my $table_row = "<tr class=\"smcSmallCell\" bgcolor=\"${small_cellcolor}\" align=\"center\">\n";

print $table_row;

# *  Start the dates loop.               * #

EDIT:
I found what I sought in config.pl...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:52 pm

I see, from reviewing config.pl, that a lot of the style is defined therein.

Since I'm working on this for a project of mine, I'm going to modify this "addon" a bit, to make it more easily modifies by others. I know Parahead did not have a chance to document his Small Calendars, and I've worked through them, so I'm going to try to modify and document at the same time. Parahead, is that OK by you?
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Parahead » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Jackanape wrote:I've worked through them, so I'm going to try to modify and document at the same time. Parahead, is that OK by you?
Please, feel free...

Regarding the day offset variable, where you able to get that to work as intended without changing the code? It would be a bad idea to rewert to the old code...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Jackanape » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:05 am

Embarrassingly, I did. Knowing that you hadn't completed documentation on the project, I should have thoroughly reviewed all the files before posting the above, but there you have it...I thought I was doing something good! LOL

The only thing I plan to do, is to change the way the style is handled--update it to a CSS system, which is more easily modified, and centrally located--none of the other code. I'm also adding Dale Ray's code changes for the "mystyle" preview, since that's pretty necessary for a Coranto install.

I should have everything ready for you to take a look at within a couple of days! Thanks for the go-ahead!
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:37 pm

I have completed the first step of modifying smcCal for tighter integration into Coranto, and easier manipulation with CSS.

My edits were:
    Adding Dale Ray's mystyle modifications to index.cgi
    Updating and rewriting table output to current CSS standards
    Removing all redundant style references, such as font attributes.
    All style changes now can be handled in the CSS, which can be found in cal_head.tpl (for the regular calendar aoutput), and sample_small.shtml for the small calendar.

Feel free to check out the final results here:
REGULAR CALENDAR
SMALL CALENDAR

And you can view the code on the Coranto Addons CVS, at:
http://corantoaddons.cvs.sourceforge.ne ... ns/smcCal/

I'm certain to have missed something, so if anyone wants to take a look, go ahead. I plan to do so in the next day or so, then modify the readme.txt, as well as the credits.

One remaining thing I'd like to do, but not sure how to, is to pull the formats of the "upcoming events" output and place them into config_main.pl. This way, a user can modify those outputs, as he/she sees fit.
Dale recommends <li> in his tutorial, and that's the best option, but there are bound to be others, and other needs.

I tried adding this to config:

# Style for Dale Ray's Mystyle modification   --currently not working
$mystyle_format      = '<tr>\n",
            "<td class=\"smc\">$date</td>\n",
            "<td class=\"smc\">$title</td>\n",
            "</tr>\n';

and replacing the print code in index.cgi, but couldn't get it to work. Is this because I can't pass variables through the config_main.pl? If this is the case, how can I go about this...

Edit for BUG REPORT:

I'm not sure if it's just my install, but I didn't modify any code here, so I'm confused.

I have on my page, a small calendar, and an upcoming events listing. When I click the link to check out next month on the small calendar, my events listing is replaced by a large calendar.

Conversely, On a page with the large calendar, when I go to another month, every instance of calendar is changed to the large calendar.

Anyone with any ideas?

Click on the small calendar link above to see this bug in action.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:45 pm

I've begun documentation to include with the download, but it's sketchy at best, and just includes the basics.

I still can't get multiple calendar hack to work properly, i.e., the bug above. I tried monkeying around with different config files, but was still getting the same results. Perhaps Dale or Parahead can point me in the right direction.

Everything seems in order, so I may release smcCal 3.2 within the next week or so. If anyone wants to check out the docs directory, please feel free to do so, and let me know what I missed!
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Anything new?

Postby GabeT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Jackanape have you had a chance to do anymore work on this? I'm currently working on a site which needs a calender for special events.
GabeT

Postby Jackanape » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:18 am

I have not had the chance to fix that bug, but this still functions exceptionally well, and I have it on two sites that use it heavily.

In checking through the docs and my notes, I see I never made the release package at SourceForge...I will make sure I get this done ASAP. In the meantime, you can download the files right from the CVS repository.

Everything is in order, let me know if I can help in any way!
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby GabeT » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I seem to have it working, but it only shows 1 event on the calendar. If a add a new one it only shows that one. Is there a setting i can change this? http://pbmdesign.com/content/calendar/index.cgi also, does anyone else have a sample of their style? Thanks guys..
GabeT

Postby GabeT » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:01 pm

UPDATE: I had to add the carrot at the end! Now It's just playing with colors and all the fun stuff. BTW I have it setup to point to a maginot static profile instead of using the viewnews option. this is what I'm using

<Field: Year><Field: TwoDigitMonth><Field: TwoDigitDay>^^^<Field: Subject>^<If: Field: Text><MaginotURL: maginot_calendar></if>^
GabeT

Postby Jackanape » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 am

Excellent! I look forward to the final version...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby GabeT » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Update:
I've been working on other things since I posted in this thread so I just got back into tinkering. I have got a small calendar working, but if you click on a date which has more then one event you only go to the latest posted event. Maybe I totally missed something, but how can I set it to go to a page with a list of events for the 1 date? Again, this is only with the small calendar.
GabeT

Return to Addon Development and Requests