Translation status as of Coranto 1.22

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby Parahead » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:12 pm

SrNupsen wrote:Well, no, I don't think an "universal" language support system is needed (this would complicate things unneccesary). How the addon actually does this is up to the addon author, as long as there is a clear point at which one can enter and translate phrases.
But I as an addondeveloper and programmer in general would like this... ;-)

SrNupsen wrote:I agree that it can be difficult when trying to turn non-supportive addons into supportive ones, but when starting from scratch one could easily avoid this type of problem, I think.
And I still say that it isn´t *that* easy to turn Coranto into a multilingual application. Most options (example: yes/no) and names (example: <Field: TwoDigitMonth>) used everywhere can´t be changed just like that...

An example of a line in my own addon:
Code: Select all
$status = 'Is a <b>'.$ShadowMail_DB{$i}->{'Type'}.'</b> using <b>'.$ShadowMail_DB{$i}->{'SendmailOrSMTP'}.'</b>. Minimum time between posts is <b>'.$ShadowMail_DB{$i}->{'MinimumTime'}.'</b> seconds.';
Turning this into a languagefile would require more than just "escaping" the small parts of this sentance ("Is a", "using", "Minimum time between posts is" and so on...) To be able to rearange the sentance to fit a particular language own must be able to use variablenames in the sentance aswell, like "Is a <b><Field: Type></b> using <b><Field: SendMailOrSMTP>....." which would require some more than most addon authors is prepared to do "individually", which is why I think some sort of general approach to this would be much welcomed... :-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:42 pm

I see your point.

But if your main goal when starting coding was to achieve language support, you would perhaps have constructed your output slightly differently?

* Types of users: standard, admin, normal, whatever
* "Is a" + user type + "using" # Used in <put example here>

Or whatever. Among others, I translated the entire http://www.phoons.com site into Norwegian. It wasn't that much work, and it works beautifully, much because the author of the Javascripts running the site has broken down everything and explained where the different words and phrases are to be used.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be THAT much work. And, once done, it will give huge benefits. But again, it's up to you addon coder guys to decide, ofcourse. I'd just be happy to translate! :)

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Parahead » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:46 pm

SrNupsen wrote:I see your point.

But if your main goal when starting coding was to achieve language support, you would perhaps have constructed your output slightly differently?
Yes, I would, but many things are dependent on how Coranto works, even if I make a totaly new addon...

SrNupsen wrote:So I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be THAT much work. And, once done, it will give huge benefits. But again, it's up to you addon coder guys to decide, ofcourse. I'd just be happy to translate! :)
I am starting to sound like I don´t like your idea, pointing out problems and so, but like I said, it *is* a good idea, I just don´t think it is quite that easy as you do... ;-)

Maybe one of the other coders around has some bright ideas on how to solve this?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:36 pm

Parahead wrote:Maybe one of the other coders around has some bright ideas on how to solve this?

That would, of course, be the single best thing. I'd be happy to help with anything language-related.

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Previous

Return to Customization