Calendar template(s)

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby faithless » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:30 am

woah. the document could use another revision.
changing of the colours and such. right now it's too dark and very very hard to read. :o
faithless

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:30 pm

faithless wrote:

woah. the document could use another revision.
changing of the colours and such. right now it's too dark and very very hard to read.

I really hate white backgrounds with black text (or any color text), but you obviously don't like the gray background. So, there is now a link at the top of the document for a "high contrast" version. (black text on a white background)

So, anyone out there like blinking red text in a 36 point font, on a fluorescent green background? :wink:
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby kriko » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:12 pm

What about #F5F5F5 as background and #333333 as text :) Would be a little smoother :)

The current style looks like a web page from the early days of the internet ;) But it's readable. the heck, if someone would like to change it, save it to hdd and change the colors ;)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:12 am

I have made a few revisions to the doc file for using Coranto and smcCal together.

The main changes are for setting up the navigation when using multiple calendars. I am in the process of implementing this on a site with 17 calendars and ran into some issues that needed addressing.

Edit: Link updated 11-10-2018
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby faithless » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:02 am

one thought on this.
we could actually use this smcCal and coranto with maginot to create one of those blogspot style archives.

where the calender will only show dates with news entries which link to the direct maginot profile file with the entries.

now. if only we could make the calender smaller and with no need for the event title and the date being the link to the "event".
faithless

Postby svm » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:25 pm

faithless wrote:one thought on this.
we could actually use this smcCal and coranto with maginot to create one of those blogspot style archives.

where the calender will only show dates with news entries which link to the direct maginot profile file with the entries.

now. if only we could make the calender smaller and with no need for the event title and the date being the link to the "event".

If you still need some help I know a little JavaScript 8) .
svm

Location: Somewhere in Canada with 10 editors runnning at once. (truth :-)

Postby Parahead » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:55 am

faithless wrote:one thought on this.

I have been toying with smCal and Coranto to do *exactly* this and after I have tweaked smCal a bit and also added the functionality to create Maginot Sliced Profiles that slices on the newsdate (as described elsewhere in this forum) it is working like a charm! :-D

Though, the code in smCal is not that pretty right now after me digging into, but I just wanted to check there was any interest in making an official release out of this? Don´t want to put hard work in cleaning the code and maybe write some documentation if noone is interested...

My site is not ready to fly just yet so I don´t want to give you a link with an example of this just yet, but I think you all know how one of those small calendarblogs looks like...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:38 pm

Parahead wrote:Though, the code in smCal is not that pretty right now after me digging into, but I just wanted to check there was any interest in making an official release out of this? Don´t want to put hard work in cleaning the code and maybe write some documentation if noone is interested..

I am interested since much of what I host on the web involves date related events.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:49 am

I have created a new version of smcCal now that is a little bit more userfriendly than my first "hacked" version. It also includes a modified (improved?) version of your multiple config-files solution, Dale Ray.

I have sent this version to the original author so he can have a chance to have his say about it. So I hope it is close to a release... :-)
Parahead

Postby jeter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:27 pm

first, what is the status of the request to the author for modification?

second, right now I'm using nuggetman's suggestion, three fields for the date breakdown. do i need to write some code that will convert those three fields to a date format for display? for instance, i want the date in the viewnews display to show as "Month Day, Year", rather than MM/DD/YYYY.

third, i don't understand the example using ChangeDateNew.

the example in the documentation shows how to work with the current date, but how do i break up an entered date into the M,D,Y components?

for example, if i have a date field: <Field: CustomField_mydate>

using changedate new, how do i break the field into the mdy components needed by smCal?

thanks.
jeter

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:21 pm

jeter wrote:first, what is the status of the request to the author for modification?

The author if smcCal has given the OK to distribute modified versions. I have not gotten a chance, or had the inclination, to look at Parahead's revisions thoroughly. My brief testing and his continued use indicate that it does work well. It is up to Parahead if he wants to release his modified version.

second, right now I'm using nuggetman's suggestion, three fields for the date breakdown. do i need to write some code that will convert those three fields to a date format for display? for instance, i want the date in the viewnews display to show as "Month Day, Year", rather than MM/DD/YYYY.

You can substitute your custom fields for Coranto's internal, ones when designing your style. Just make sure you match the format that smcCal expects, as shown in the documentation for using smcCal with Coranto. Make sure that you read and understand the smcCal docs.

For the item that is displayed when the link is clicked on, for example using viewnews, how you format that is up to you. Calling viewnews from the calendar is no differnt than from anywhere else in your site. The result will be the same. The style used for smcCal's data is NOT used for any other purpose.

third, i don't understand the example using ChangeDateNew.

the example in the documentation shows how to work with the current date, but how do i break up an entered date into the M,D,Y components?

for example, if i have a date field: <Field: CustomField_mydate>

using changedate new, how do i break the field into the mdy components needed by smCal?

thanks.

You use ChangeDateNew just the same as you would without a calendar. If you are using Coranto's date fields the date entered for the news item will be used for the calendar entry, changing the item's date will move it on the calendar when news is built.

If you do not use Coranto's date fields you should use either a single field that matches the format expected by smcCal, or use separate fields that you can format in you style to get the same result. If you use a single date field that doesn't match the formatting for smcCal you will have to use perl or Coranto's if statement and translate the field you are using into the proper format.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:30 pm

Dale Ray wrote:The author if smcCal has given the OK to distribute modified versions. I have not gotten a chance, or had the inclination, to look at Parahead's revisions thoroughly. My brief testing and his continued use indicate that it does work well. It is up to Parahead if he wants to release his modified version.
I have not been active in this area myself. The version of smcCal I use on my site is the same version I sent to you Dale Ray in the begining of the summer. At that point we discussed about improving the documentation of the updated smcCal before releasing it.

I could release the version I use on my site, but like I mentioned above, the documentation is not updated to reflect the improvements and the new functionality of being able to use a small layout. I don´t know if you still are interested in this version then?
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:43 pm

Parahead wrote:I could release the version I use on my site, but like I mentioned above, the documentation is not updated to reflect the improvements and the new functionality of being able to use a small layout. I don´t know if you still are interested in this version then?

Yes, I am still interested, just haven't had time to work on it. I don't know when I will.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:37 pm

Dale Ray wrote:
Parahead wrote:I could release the version I use on my site, but like I mentioned above, the documentation is not updated to reflect the improvements and the new functionality of being able to use a small layout. I don´t know if you still are interested in this version then?
Yes, I am still interested, just haven't had time to work on it. I don't know when I will.
Oh, sorry, that question really was ment for jeter. :-D I totaly understand if you don´t have the time to work on this and I can´t expect you to do the documentation work anyway if I am to lazy to do it myself... ;-)
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:34 pm

Parahead,

I intend to follow up on the version you sent me, it's just that I haven't had the time. I don't want to promise a timetable I can't deliver.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

PreviousNext

Return to Customization