How news headlines display and the full article displays

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

How news headlines display and the full article displays

Postby Abpadmin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I have been trying to setup coranto and not quite understanding.

First of all I have at least 3 pages set up to show the headlines, my front page has a cell that is 220 pixels wide and the other pages have a cell for the headlines that are 450 pixels wide. I am a bit confused on how and where I need to set the font style and size for the headlines to display, like in the 220 pixel wide cell I may want the font to be times new roman at 8 pt size, the other pages I may want ariel font at 10 pt size.

I am using front page 2003 for editing the site and have been in and modified html with no problems, I am just confused how and where.

Secondly, if I want to add a picture or pictures to the news story how is this done? Is is done with an addon? What about links to other sites or pages within my own site?

Last, I am not quite understanding the template for displaying the whole news story. If I want the story to open up in a new window or tab where do I place the command. also if I want say just my website header and at the end of the story a tab to close the windows, how do I do this? Or if I want the news to display in a page in a new window (or not) that looks like the rest of the pages in my site, how do I do this.

I am running coranto ver 1.24b. I had to use this version due to some bugs in the 1.25.
Abpadmin

Re: How news headlines display and the full article displays

Postby Jackanape » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Abpadmin wrote:I have been trying to setup coranto and not quite understanding.
You've come to the right place, alright!

First of all I have at least 3 pages set up to show the headlines, my front page has a cell that is 220 pixels wide and the other pages have a cell for the headlines that are 450 pixels wide. I am a bit confused on how and where I need to set the font style and size for the headlines to display, like in the 220 pixel wide cell I may want the font to be times new roman at 8 pt size, the other pages I may want ariel font at 10 pt size.
This is best handled via CSS. You can just set a few different headline classes, and use those in your headline styles. You can set up as many styles as you need. I wish I could be more specific, but I'm usn unsure as to whether you're using the SAME headlines on all three pages, or a different set for each.

Secondly, if I want to add a picture or pictures to the news story how is this done? Is is done with an addon?
YES, you want the Multipart addon. You can upload files as a standalone upload, or as part of your news submission.

What about links to other sites or pages within my own site?
Are you talking about managing your links page with Coranto? This is easily done, if so. I'm not sure if that's what you mean, though.

Last, I am not quite understanding the template for displaying the whole news story. If I want the story to open up in a new window or tab where do I place the command. also if I want say just my website header and at the end of the story a tab to close the windows, how do I do this? Or if I want the news to display in a page in a new window (or not) that looks like the rest of the pages in my site, how do I do this.

You want the Maginot Addon. ;)

I am running coranto ver 1.24b. I had to use this version due to some bugs in the 1.25.
If you can share your problems, that would be much appreciated!
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Clarification

Postby Abpadmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:19 am

I feel that I need to better explain how I am trying to set my wesite up.

In coranto I have set up news categories and that I have working. I have one category that those news item will be headlines that will appear on the front page of my website, and the width of the cell for these headlines is 220 pixels. Here on the front page is where I would like the headlines to be an 8 pt font.

Then I have news on another page that is in a different news category and the cell with for this news is 450 pixels wide. Here I would like the headlines to be a 10 pt font.

Jackanape, you mentioned in your reply post that this could best be done in a CSS. While I am not very good with CSS, my webpage is an shtml file, exactly where and how do I place code so that on the front page of my site the font for the headlines will be "Arial" "8pt", and then where and how then is the code placed for the other page to have "Arial" "10pt".

I have downloaded the Maginot addon and I am trying to figure it out. I will find the Multipart addon and get it installed as well.

For the error when I installed the 1.25 version I kept getting server error even when I went back over everything in the installation instructions. I found another post on here about the same problem. Downloaded and installed the 1.24b version, followed instructions and BINGO it worked.

I hope that this post makes what I am trying to do easier to understand and follow.
Abpadmin

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:13 am

Code: Select all
<span style="font-family: arial; font-size: 8px;">
This is Arial 8 pts
</span>

Or:

<span style="font-family: arial; font-size: 10px;">
This is Arial 10 pts
</span>

...or anything else you could think of...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Abpadmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Have the font part working, I put the code in my shtml. How do I make the type appear bold or italic?

Now trying to figure out the maginot addon. Is there a manual or detailed instructions for how to use it.

At the present all I am needing to do is when someone selects a news story I want the full artice to open up in a new webpage and display the full article in a cell that is 450 pixels wide.

Also it was mentioned that it was easy to ad links in the news stories, how? For example say I have a story about something and they need to be able to go to another website to find out more information, How is this done?

If I had more time I might be able to figure some of this out, but I have a website that I need to have launched by May 1, and I need everything working NOW so that I can be able to approach potential advertisers.

I have already been working on getting a news program to work for almost a week and a half, and with the coranto, I think I am almost there, just needs a little fine tuning and I need a lot of UNDERSTANDING.
Abpadmin

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Yes. Reading and doing is the best way of understanding. You'll find plenty of docs in the "Documentation" section of this site, and do a Google search for "html tutorial" or "css tutorial" to learn how to style your text.

SrNupsen

Documentation

Postby Abpadmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I have looked in the documentation section and some of it I understand, but it seems that there is still quite a bit of information on how to that I cannot seem to find, not understand, or is not available.

I just need the down and dirty of it so that I can get this thing working right and close to how I want it to.
Abpadmin

Postby Musicvid » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:13 pm

You need some basic html tutorials to get you started.
http://www.pageresource.com/html/index2.htm

Once you understand that, getting Coranto to show up the way you want on your site will be a lot easier.
Musicvid

Understanding html

Postby Abpadmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:50 pm

musicvid,

I have been doing websites for about 8 years, but very little the last 3 or 4 so I am a bit rusty, I have done websites for farms and for businesses.

Even though I have been using FrontPage I still do have to go into the code and make modifications and changes, There is quite a lot that is coming back to me now.

I did do one website that was done with CSS, but it was a template and I just had to plug in some of their information, small amount of code change and input their shopping cart (PaPal) and it worked great.

I have never worked with perl and setting up something like the coranto is different than anything I have done before.

my website is www.americanbeefproducer.com and I currently have on the health information page a news item set up, I know it shows 2 of the same thing, that is because I edited the headline style and tries to use maginot coding according to the instructions found at http://www.sumaleth.com/coranto/ct_headlines.html and the coding I put in on the style is:

<strong><a href="<MaginotURL:{maginot_herdhealth_profile}>"><Field: newsid>"><Field: Subject></a></strong>

<strong><a href="http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/cgi/coranto/viewnews.cgi?id=<Field: newsid>"><br><Field: Subject></a></strong>

the second news item opens up, but I would like for it to open up in a window that matches the page where the newslinks are.
Abpadmin

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm

The first link should be

<MaginotURL: maginot_herdhealth_profile>

(no { and })

You can use templates with viewnews.cgi. In short, create an ordinary HTML page from <html> to </html>, then put <Field: Content> where you want the news item to appear. This way all news items shown with viewnews.cgi will look alike.

Lots of docs here:
http://www.corantodemo.net/wiki/index.php/Installation/TutorialPart3

SrNupsen

maginot coding and templates

Postby Abpadmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:07 pm

so if I am understanding correctly my coding for the maginot needs to have {}'s removed. Also if I remove the field for the newsid, will this have any impact other that the news ID not showing?

What is the comment you have of (no { and })

If I understand you correctly then I can have a html page ( I think in the coranto documentation it has to end in shtml to work.

But wait, I have looked at the code for both viewnews.cgi and the viewnews.tmpl on lines 6 and 7 of the viewnews.cgi file these lines read as follows:

# Name of template to use if none is set in the url (without .tmpl extension).
my $VNTMPL = 'viewnews';

I have created a template from one of the html or shtml pages of my site and gave it a tmpl extension, is this correct? I named it healthinfonews.tmpl and it is in the cgi/coranto folder, right?

now on the cgi file, don't I need to change the last line the 'viewnews' to 'healthinfonews' ? I guess I could for safety sake make a copy of the viewnews.cgi and rename the one before any changes .old and then make the other changes for the html code, and leave everything as viewnew.tmpl

the path to my new template and its look and layout is located at
http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/cgi ... onews.tmpl

Now in the code if I want the title to appear larger (12pt bold) do I use the syntax as indicated previously in this post and then if I want the content to be (10pt) put in the syntax for it as well?

Now, if all of my assumptions are correct so far, here are the questions I need answers to.

1. Where and how do I put code so that when someone clicks on a news story title it ones up with the template that I want? What if I want the news story to open up in a new window?

2. How does the news story subject that displays tie together with the subject and content for it them to display?

I think that I am on the right track, but working with this news stuff for almost 2 weeks, looking at all of the code, examples, etc. it begins to get frustrating and confusing, especially when I need to get this done to approach advertisers and sponsors.

THANKS, for the information so far
Abpadmin

GETTING FRUSTRATED

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 am

Maybe I just don't understand or can't comprehend what to do, I have changed my default headline style code to read as follows:

<strong><a href="<MaginotURL:maginot_herdhealth_profile>"><Field: newsid>"><Field: Subject></a></strong>

<strong><a href="http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/cgi/coranto/viewnews.cgi?id=<Field: newsid>"><br><br><Field: Subject></a></strong>

I have tried it countless ways since removing the {} from the code in my previous post. The darn thing still doesn't work, WHY?

What am I doing wrong?
Abpadmin

Re: maginot coding and templates

Postby Jackanape » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:15 am

Abpadmin wrote:1. Where and how do I put code so that when someone clicks on a news story title it ones up with the template that I want?

You can have as many templates as you have maginot profiles. So I would presume you would have one profile for auction reports, one for recipes, and so on. Each one can have whatever template you choose...

What if I want the news story to open up in a new window?

You style that in your headline style, with "Target" attribute:
<strong><a href="/news/<MaginotURL: Maginot_news>" target="_blank"><Field: Subject></a></strong> - <span class="desc"><Field: Month_Name> <Field: Month_Day></span><br>

2. How does the news story subject that displays tie together with the subject and content for it them to display?

Not sure what you mean here.
If you refer to the "Subject" in the submission form, then that all depends on how you incloude it --if at all -- in your style...

I hope that helps a bit.[/code]
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

trying to figure it out

Postby Abpadmin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:51 pm

I have read and follwed some of the setup of coranto,

I have the following 2 items that I can somewhat do, still not clear on the profiles how to answer some of the options, but I can get thru it.
1. set up categories
2. setup profiles

Now with the styles and the templates. I am still struggling with some of the code in coranto and how and where to insert it into my html.

setup styles, still confused about the maginot coding.

viewnews.cgi and viewnews.tmpl

I can follow the coding on the viewnews.cgi about the template name etc., but looking at the coding from the viewnews.tmpl file here is what is in it,

viewnews.tmpl

<html><head><title><Field: Title></title></head><body>
<Field: Content>

</body></html>

Now if I have a tmpl file setup that looks like the rest of my site, how do I code it? Here's why I ask. I can get a news title to display on a page, no problem without using the maginot. When I select the news item to read the story it is using the viewnews.tmpl and naturally from the code above it does display the title and the content (story) that works. Now the title field in the code above is in the <head> section of the html and the content is in the <body> section. If I have my template setup and I have a cell down in the body section of my website that I want the title and the story to be, how is this done. I have forgot now, but I have tried several ways, and all I get are error pages.

I can read until I am blue in the face. If I can see examples of the code (that work) for maginot, viewnews and templates, then I may see how it all works.

I'm just getting FRUSTRATED!!!
Abpadmin

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 pm

One solution would be to use Maginot static profiles. These profiles build SINGLE HTML FILES for every news item, and the corresponding style must then include everything from <html> to </html>.

Say you use the following style (cheap example):

<html>
<head><title><Field: Subject></title></head>
<body>
<!-- ANY HTML YOU WANT HERE, AND INSERT CORANTO FIELDS SUCH AS Text, CustomField_whatever WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO BE -->
</body>
</html>

Then use this style with a Maginot static profile - and the whole of your HTML pages will be dynamically generated from each Coranto news item.

SrNupsen

Next

Return to Customization