Rename Of The Game

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Rename Of The Game

Postby YushDon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:21 am

I don't know if this is a true bug or not but it certainly is an annoyance!

I've discovered that if I successfully submit an entry using version 1.31.4, then go back to modify that entry but change the filename, it just doesn't recognise the new filename. It simply reproduce the old filename for that document no matter if I do a full or partial rebuild.

I've even tried deleting the file generated in the location specified by the profile, but it again reproduces the old filename. This does not happen in the stable version 1.24.

Is this a bug or something peculiar only to my setup?
YushDon

Re: Rename Of The Game

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:45 am

YushDon wrote:I've discovered that if I successfully submit an entry using version 1.31.4, then go back to modify that entry but change the filename, it just doesn't recognise the new filename. It simply reproduce the old filename for that document no matter if I do a full or partial rebuild.

I've even tried deleting the file generated in the location specified by the profile, but it again reproduces the old filename. This does not happen in the stable version 1.24.
Normally one do not specify the output file name when submitting a news item (this is done in a profile) so we really need more info about your setup to understand what might be causing this.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby shanemckiness » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:22 pm

I submit a new filename with each new article, this way I can create a true custom address with name relavant to the article without the headaches of using the subject field (or any other field). So I understand what he is going through.
shanemckiness

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:04 pm

shanemckiness wrote:I submit a new filename with each new article, this way I can create a true custom address with name relavant to the article without the headaches of using the subject field (or any other field). So I understand what he is going through.
Well, I said *normally* this is not the case and in order to understand what causes YushDon's specific problem more info is really needed about his setup. Do you experience problems with your setup as well?
Parahead

Postby YushDon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:34 am

My set up is fairly basic: I've got 1.31.4 running on a Linux box using Fedora, php 4.31, mySQL 3.23 and the latest perl with DBI and other required modules.

I have created a custom field called CustomField_FileName into which I type my own custom name of each file (or article) that I submit. On ver 1.24 I can change this filename and at build time the process will either generate a new filename or update the old one.

On version 1.31.4 it only seem to update the old one. It does not currently generate a new document bearing the new filename if I change the original filename.

That's it in a nutshell. Does it make any clearer sense?
YushDon

Postby Parahead » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:42 pm

YushDon wrote:My set up is fairly basic: I've got 1.31.4 running on a Linux box using Fedora, php 4.31, mySQL 3.23 and the latest perl with DBI and other required modules.
Do you use the CSQL addon and 1.31.x? If so, that is fairly untested (and unsuported) territory (even with Coranto 1.24). Please try without it...

YushDon wrote:I have created a custom field called CustomField_FileName into which I type my own custom name of each file (or article) that I submit. On ver 1.24 I can change this filename and at build time the process will either generate a new filename or update the old one.
And the output file is created how? Just by having a field named CustomField_FileName doesn't automatically create a file, more details please...
Parahead

Postby YushDon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:47 pm

I created the output file using a Maginot profile which split the output along the CustomField_FileName I created. I then chose the output extension as php. When I run build (either full or partial) it would then create documents which look something like this:-

http://www .mywebsite.com/outputfolder/<Field: CustomField_FileName>.php

This has been working for me for nearly four years now.
YushDon

Postby Parahead » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:46 pm

YushDon wrote:I created the output file using a Maginot profile which split the output along the CustomField_FileName I created. I then chose the output extension as php. When I run build (either full or partial) it would then create documents which look something like this:-

http://www .mywebsite.com/outputfolder/<Field: CustomField_FileName>.php
I thought it was something like this you had setup, but if you read your first post in this thread again, you see that you do not mention anything about using Maginot. When you report about a problem, especially since you are testing out Coranto 1.31.x, you need to give the complete and accurate picture so there is no misstakes about which parts are involved. OK? :-D

So, what you are saying is that you have a Maginot Static Profile (which version of Maginot?) that uses the CustomField_FileName field as the static field. And if you alter a newsitem and change the value in the FileName field and also some other data (like the subject?) for that newsitem it is still the old file that is updated with the new data? If you go to the Edit News Page again, is the FileName field containing the old or new filename?

BTW, you did not answer my question about CSQL either...
Parahead

Postby YushDon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Well, here's the state of play...

I tried csql with version 1.31.4 but came across this problem. I haven't got a solution to that problem and reported all my findings in that post. Thus, I disabled csql since I cannot use it as is with 1.31.4

The CustomFileName solution I mantioned is a solution I have been using with version 1.24 with Maginot and a number of others add-ons. This works fine.

I have tried to duplicate the same situation with version 1.31.4 but now I think I may have discovered why the document does not update or create a new file: I have not created a Maginot profile! 8)

I have been using a standard profile with it all this time. I will create a Maginot profile and see how I get on with that, then report my findings.

What would be good though is if I could get csql to work without giving me the error mentioned here. Then I could really push the system because all of my content revolves around the existence of csql.
YushDon

Postby Parahead » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:26 pm

YushDon wrote:I have tried to duplicate the same situation with version 1.31.4 but now I think I may have discovered why the document does not update or create a new file: I have not created a Maginot profile! 8)

I have been using a standard profile with it all this time. I will create a Maginot profile and see how I get on with that, then report my findings.
:confused2:

YushDon wrote:What would be good though is if I could get csql to work without giving me the error mentioned here. Then I could really push the system because all of my content revolves around the existence of csql.
Well, do not look at me about the CSQL problems, that is Lawrence show...
Parahead

Postby shanemckiness » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:31 pm

I usually never change my filename, but on occasion I did, and everything worked just fine. I am use 1.24 though without sql.
shanemckiness

Postby YushDon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Maybe I should contact him directly. 8)
YushDon

Postby Psykosys » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:15 am

shanemckiness wrote:I usually never change my filename, but on occasion I did, and everything worked just fine. I am use 1.24 though without sql.

Does an old copy of the file with the old filename remain after you do this? I'm interested in using this solution but am concerned about running into such problems.
Psykosys

Postby YushDon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:33 am

Does an old copy of the file with the old filename remain after you do this? I'm interested in using this solution but am concerned about running into such problems.

There is no reason to be concerned/alarmed if you are using ver 1.24. It will work fine, as Psykosys and myself have said.

However, because ver 1.31.4 is still in its beta stage you may have slight hiccups here and there. Best not to use this version in a production (or live site) setting. 8)
YushDon

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development