Testers and Coders needed

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Testers and Coders needed

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

We need people to test the dev release in as many ways possible, with as many combinations of the confirmed working addons (see this page). Put it through as much as it can handle, and report any errors back in this forum.

If you're a coder (perl or otherwise) get in touch as you will no doubt be needed! We need coders to work on the coranto core, to update any addons that are not working (permissions provided) and to document the more complex processes available in coranto.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:28 pm

Tonight, I'll take a look through the round table...there were a few people who expressed interest in helping along those lines...and extend invites.
Jackanape

interest

Postby YushDon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:43 pm

i'd be interested in getting involved (again!) even with my limited ability with perl. on the last forum i was "Unofficial Beta Tester" but since i've been away for a few weeks there's been lots of changes. many i don't understand. others i'm well confused about...

we now seem to have coranto v1.24, 1.25b, 1.31.5 and 2.0 either in development or already launched. what i'd essentially like to know what has happened to the old set up? where is the new set up going? what are the coronto team's aims and objectives? how will it sustain itself?

i believe a failure to answer some of these fundamental questions with the last set up was not positive for those who have been using coronto for years. i think clarity would be good because it promotes positivity.

any answers to my concerns would be well appreciated...
YushDon

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 pm

1.24b is the latest stable release. The "b" only means that a new release had to be made because the old site went down, and the setup routine for 1.24 contained references to documents on the old server.

1.24b changelog wrote:Version 1.24B
- Replaced all references to http://coranto.org (the old site, no longer online) with references to http://www.gocoranto.com, as this amongst other things was necessary for the setup routine to complete.

Once the polishing of the interface and some other minor improvements have been made, a new version 1.25 will be released. From then on, work will focus on the new major 2.0 version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Re: interest

Postby Jackanape » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:11 am

YushDon wrote:where is the new set up going? what are the coronto team's aims and objectives? how will it sustain itself?

By "new setup", I presume you mean this site:

After the old community collapsed into silence, a few of us decided we needed to do something, anything, to reinvigorate, and save Coranto from sure obsolescence. It was decided to open up this forum, which started out as simply "savecoranto.com". For the full story, check out the archives, and specifically these topics:

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9806
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9940

Once we got here, it became apparent that things were growing faster than we intended, as you can see by the posts in "The Round Table". Where we had expected no development, people came out with interest, proving that Coranto wasn't even close to dead.

At some point msbzdragon pulled the old site completely, at which point it became clear we WERE the official Coranto site. This was just last week, so we're still expanding to fit the needs of the community.

As for the team's aims and objectives, those become clear in the initial posts, but even more clear in the forums' layouts. We have four major goals in the successful advancement of Coranto: Documentation, Development, Promotion, and Support. We've broken everything down to those four main avenues of attack, and formed "teams" of interested contributors to tackle each area.

Of priority now, is the release of 1.25, followed by the finalization of this site. Once that's accomplished, promotion becomes a necessity for us, while those capable and interested can start picking up on Parahead's last DEV version, which will be released as 2.0. Documentation is an ongoing project that has been underway for some time now, via Dale's site, and wiki.

As for sustaining the community, I believe a strong presence in the CMS community, solid documentation, a positive image, and a consistent support community will go a long way towards eventually bringing in new and interested programmers. It's the old "if you build it, they will come" trick. Time will tell if we are right.

But, we don't intend to stand around waiting. We'd love to have you on board....take a look at the forums, see our goals laid out, and see if you'd want to jump into one or two tasks...

i believe a failure to answer some of these fundamental questions with the last set up was not positive for those who have been using coronto for years. i think clarity would be good because it promotes positivity.

any answers to my concerns would be well appreciated...

Again, read what we've discussed here so far. Clarity is something we've already addressed, by making official what the community has been doing unofficially for years: releasing the script under the GPL license. We've also made the move to become the official site for Coranto, to further focus things--the amphibianweb reference was long gone, and it was time to accept that--and make things considerably less confusing for everyone.

The first chapter of the Coranto community saved Coranto from becoming a footnote of the last millennia, but they clearly were unable, or unwilling to move forward. There's a lot of creative vision that's already made their voices heard here, in the second chapter of the Coranto Community, and I think there's more to come.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and gets you as excited as I am about what's in store around here. Feel free to ask any more questions.
Last edited by Jackanape on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackanape

succinct!

Postby YushDon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:58 am

actually, let me first thank you for that explanation. it surpassed anything i was hoping for and goes a long way into clarifying things that i had questions about.

the enthusiasm is evident in your response and the team's made a good start with picking up the pieces by launcing the save coranto campaign and this website. it is also good to see that there is a vision behind the project because without this, of course, not only would it eventually perish, we'd also stumble around in the dark!

i woud like to stay involved in the project and will activately partcipate in anyway i can.

peace, strength, respect and honour.
YushDon

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development