Dev release

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Postby Lumberjack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:28 am

Nah, it'll be fine! Definitely have a look.. at least its useful to know perl to be able to write some simple scripts, like with java. And, the more you write, the closer you get...
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 am

* Fix problem with MiniPod subroutine not showing bullets properly

Fixed, finally! After trying many complex solutions, I decided the easiest way was to just simply remove the windows carriage returns before going into the bullet matching step:
Code: Select all
   $pod =~ s/^=over.*/<ul>/gm; # begin bulleted list
   $pod =~ s/^=back/<\/ul>/gm; # end bulleted list
# LUMBERJACK: remove windows carriage returns for proper bullet display of windows-saved addons (18 Jan 2007)
   $pod =~ s/\r//gm;
# PARAHEAD: Improved [bugfixed] single bullet handling (2005-06-12)
   $pod =~ s/^=item \*\n\n((.+[\n]?)+?)\n\n/<li>$1<\/li>\n\n/gm; # single bullet

Note to addon authors: please try to write the pod documentation properly!
Lumberjack

Postby Musicvid » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:39 pm

I am wondering if the Backup Files Not Being Created issue with 1.31.5 is being addressed yet? I've been using the beta "live" for some time now so backups are important to me, however I haven't been able to fix the problem on my own.
Musicvid

Postby Parahead » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Musicvid wrote:I am wondering if the Backup Files Not Being Created issue with 1.31.5 is being addressed yet? I've been using the beta "live" for some time now so backups are important to me, however I haven't been able to fix the problem on my own.

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Musicvid » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks for that link, Parahead. I think including nsettings.cgi and crcfg.dat in the backups is a good idea.
Musicvid

Postby Musicvid » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:23 am

Made the changes suggested in the link and now have backup files.
One question: Should backups also be triggered by a "Build News" action in addition to an Edit or Add event action if allowed by the $BackupTime variable? Seems to make sense.
Musicvid

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:46 am

Well, building news goes through the already existing database, it doesn't add to it or modify it (like submit/modify news) so there is no need to change the backups.
Lumberjack

Postby Feathers » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:03 am

Lumberjack wrote:Well, building news goes through the already existing database, it doesn't add to it or modify it (like submit/modify news) so there is no need to change the backups.

That may be true at the moment (surely it's dependant on Addon behaviour - the hooks are there so can you be sure no Addon uses them?) but even if it is, I can forsee a situation where one Addon may change it (if I can ever work out how to do it).

At the moment, the vBulletin 3 Comments addon takes no account of the 'news date' when generating threads in vB. The effect of this is that if ChangeDateNew is used and future news is entered, a vB thread will be generated by vB3Comments and a thread ID will be added to the database even though the news may not be published through Coranto.

Ultimately, I'd like to build the vB thread at the same time as news is published. This would mean that the thread ID would potentially be added to the database on 'Build News'.

What I don't know is:

a) how to get the addon to do this
b) whether this would slow the Coranto build process too much to be useable

It's a concept at the moment rather than a reality, but if I ever get it working then it would mean that the database changes on 'Build News'.

--------------------

Actually, thinking about it, I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the code I inherited from Lawrence already embeds the comment count in the database each time that news is built.

It's not half as important as the thread ID, but it's still a dB change on build.
Mike
(Maintaining the vB3Comments addon)
Feathers

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:59 pm

The backup doesn't occur every time news is submitted anyway. Only every 7 days. So this is not entirely relevant to discuss..
Lumberjack

Postby Feathers » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Fair enough - I caught up with that when I looked at the code.
Mike
(Maintaining the vB3Comments addon)
Feathers

Postby Bluetooth » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:26 pm

I don´t know who is in charge of the internal gui but i will be happy to do it.

Going trough Chameleon (the addon) css´es (with a pl extension) i find that there is too much defined directly in html code.

There should be a set of id´s and styles in every table, div and a tag wherever they are.

By now some tables are defined directly as width="70%" etc.
A css should be an essential part of a new version anyway.
Bluetooth
---
Formerly known as Von Snellfharer

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 pm

It always was, as I understand it. Which problem are you tackling exactly? EDIT: oh, I see, that bit. Well if you can get the core to perform the features of Facelift, that would be good. I like the design options of Facelift. The core has already implemented some of the features (thanks Parahead) but there are a few more which could be useful. Take a look.
Lumberjack

Postby Bluetooth » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Huh... i received a mail about me being a new member of the development team.. :shock:

I was thinking of going through Coranto and do some modifications to html parts and add css markup wherever needed.

How is this multi development organized anyway?

Which problem are you tackling exactly?

There was a post about a new internal gui... not sure what the exact question is about(?)
Bluetooth
---
Formerly known as Von Snellfharer

Postby Musicvid » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 am

Lumberjack wrote:Well, building news goes through the already existing database, it doesn't add to it or modify it (like submit/modify news) so there is no need to change the backups.
I see the underlying issue. The backup addon renames the temp file while newsdat.txt is being overwritten. An invoked news build does not regenerate newsdat.txt. I can live with that.
The backup doesn't occur every time news is submitted anyway. Only every 7 days. So this is not entirely relevant to discuss..
I suppose most people will leave $BackupTime set at the default. Having already encountered the unexpected, I set mine at 24 hours.
Musicvid

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:36 am

Bluetooth wrote:How is this multi development organized anyway?

Its not, I'm trying to get something set up. Basically we need some kind of thing like concurrent versions system (CVS) or subversion (SVN) that provides a collaborative development environment. From what I've briefly read, the simplest ones apply a file lock when a developer "checks out" a file, so others can only read the file until the updated version is uploaded. So basically everyone works on the same copy of the coranto files.

Bluetooth wrote:There was a post about a new internal gui... not sure what the exact question is about(?)

Yes, see the link that comes with the post (I realised later what you were talking about). Some stuff has already been done in the dev release. Unfortunately I think this requires perl coding. Feel free to see if I'm wrong on that one..

Musicvid: yes that's correct. I would suggest an update of the MoveIt! addon, except apparently that code is "protected"..
Lumberjack

PreviousNext

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development